Tokyo headphone festival impression
Nov 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
The headphone festival 2010 fall was a great success, even though a typhoon has hit, in a rainy condition almost 1800 people came to the show and we had 70 companies joined in. Click picture to enlarge.

I had my own booth and I brought my Mac Air (w/Pure Music), Acoustic revive twin neck USB cable, Audiophilleo 1, Haedroom Desktop , edition 10, HD800 with acoustic revive aftermarket cable.
People much liked my recabled HD800. acoustic revive cables. The cable is not a strand wire but it is a mono OFC wire. It add a good warmth and a good bass to HD800 while being detailed with a good harmonic.

I also tried new STAX flagship (no name yet). I felt it is on a extension of new 507 line sounding.
But to say the truce I was not so much impressed. I expected more for the price that has been rumoured around US$3000-5000. However, it could be a sake of relatively poor CDP. will try another chance.
I rather prefer Rudi's Chroma MD1 Italian made headphones for considering the price asking (almost $800).  

A Japanese audio manufacture Phasetech brought mystic black headphone amp that employs dumping control knob to adjust fine tuning for the headphones.

Here are some Japan made custom IEMs. this is Suyama custom IEMs. I wrote his 333 model article before. He brought improved models. They provided custom stage IEMs for Japanese musicians. They now intended to consumer market. Their new line-ups has more consumer oriented sounding. Also the three bores in a ear tube is wonderful.

Fostex brought their improved version of iPod digital portable amp. that named HP-P1. That's a shame they drop that Fancy Robotech body but they told me Apple's emission restriction is a reason to drop surrounding shell. However, HP-P1 sounded remarkably good. I was surprised. HP-P1employes AKM DAC chip with selectable digital filter.

Japanese distributor Mixwave showed ALO/Sypher digital gear also. Though I had not a time to try so long..

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 15
Awe come on, I love Tokyo so much but I don't have a chance to go there. Yodobashi Akiba was my home for over 30 hours when I found their headphone collection. If I could go therefor 5 or so days, I could spend 80 percent of them in there listening to headphones.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 15
As for Audio Technica , have a look on my another report.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518994/audiotechnica-2010-fall-new-products-rollout

for Z1000, I have not a chance to try it but I made a brief talk with SONY people.
They intended to design Z1000 as professional use. Their 900ST is well known as pro-headphone. Interestingly they call 900ST as a headphone for musicians but Z1000 is a headphone for music producers.
I had a brief chance to try EX1000. I think EX1000 is a very good IEM but almost no time anyway.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 15
Could you elaborate more on the Rudistor Chroma MD1 signature?   I have tried to get more information but could
not have enough information.  I have entered the order website only to know that the price is $990(which include worldwide S&H)
However the price will be increased 10% because of the falling dollars against euro.
I am also interested in the acoustic revive cable,  how can I know the price and how can I order that for my Sennheiser HD800
thanks,

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 15
>  did you tried the balance amp from intercity sasaki ? 

Yes I have tried the top model MBA1- balanced at an audition.
MBA1 sounded clean, clear and dynamic, have a good bass punch. I'd say it is something like a Headroom sound signature but Intercity is more on neutral side.

> Could you elaborate more on the Rudistor Chroma MD1 signature?

Chroma MD1 is open and fairly light can to wear. MD1 sounded very much detailed, sharp and fast while not being hard. The timbre is beautiful as it is a Rudi's house sound.
http://www.rudistor.com/chroma%20md1.htm 

> I am also interested in the acoustic revive cable 

Here is another site for the cables(but in Japanese).
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201008/27/26667.html 
The price for HD800 single-ended is almost 50000 JPY. However, I am not sure if they have a US distributor.
I think their cable is similar to Black Dragon.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 15
I'd say the McAudi81 is more like "old school" amp against the modern sounding MBA1. McAudi sounded warmer, MBA1 sounded sharp and solid. Both are great amp though.

I have not used P1u but MBA1 must be a step beyond and there is a huge price gap.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm sad that I had to miss this.  I reckon there are enough Japanese Head-fiers that we might be able to have a bit of a Head-fi meet the next time the Fujiya Avic show is on.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 15
Dear Sasaki,
   Thanks for the info on Rudistor Chroma MD1 signature, however the price may have gone up because of the Fed intervention
and makes the dollar to fall against euro.   So when I went to that site to order, it was not there.
   The price of the acoustic revive is very high for SE,     50,000 yen that is amost equal to  600 US dollars and I can't read Japanese so
I don't know the length for that cable.  I think it's almost equal to Ken ALO 8 wire for Sennheiser HD800.   You mentioned that
the acoustic revive is similar to the black dragon, do you mean sonically or the look?   Do you think the black dragon will
match the Sennheiser well enough because that will be much cheaper than the acoustic revive and the ALO wire.
    Do you know the price of the acoustic revive with balanced 4 pin XLR?

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 15
Yes I want to arrange headfi meet someday..

>  You mentioned that
the acoustic revive is similar to the black dragon, do you mean sonically or the look?  

Both. This is not so exactly as I am not directory compared them but both are warm and good bass, less flexible wire.

> Do you know the price of the acoustic revive with balanced 4 pin XLR? 

88000 JPY.

> Is this Fujiya Avic in Nakano?

Fujiya Avic is the host of the show. The show place is a conference room at Aoyama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back