Todd........
Oct 13, 2003 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I noticed that you are selling a few NAD components now.

If you could procure me a NAD L70 5.1 DVD Receiver for a good price I would buy it from you.

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 8
I've also noticed the value ratings on all of the wooden-bodied Grado cartridges and on most of the Prestige-series Grado cartridges. All of the woodies, and the Red, the Gold, the DJ's (DJ100 and DJ200) and the monos (MC+ and ME+) got 5 discs (out of 5), while the Blue and the Silver got 4.5 discs. The Black, the Green and the 78's (78C and 78E) remain unrated at present.

Oct 16, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi Eagle_Driver,

The Black and Green are also rated at 5 albums. The rating is a value rating - not an overall rating.As for the 78 cartridges - I haven't used them so I really cannot rate them. Once I get a chance to use them on a good turntable, I will rate them. I've been told they are very good but I rely on my ears for the rating.

Todd

Oct 16, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Hi Eagle_Driver,

The Black and Green are also rated at 5 albums. The rating is a value rating - not an overall rating.As for the 78 cartridges - I haven't used them so I really cannot rate them. Once I get a chance to use them on a good turntable, I will rate them. I've been told they are very good but I rely on my ears for the rating.

Todd

Hmmm... So the choice between the various cartridges in the Grado line would depend largely on the turntable that the would-be-buyer currently owns. For example, if that person owns a lower-end mass-market Technics turntable of 20 years ago, it would be overkill to go with something much more than a Prestige Green or Blue for that table. But for a middle-of-the-line turntable such as my current MMF-5, then it would be worth the $$$ by going to something as high as either the Reference Platinum or Statement Platinum, depending on the phono stage that the MMF-5 is connected to.

Generally speaking, the price of the cartridge should be roughly half of the original price of the turntable for the best performance/cost ratio.

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, it is overkill to get a cartridge that outperforms the turntable. A Gold or Platinum cartridge will serve the MMF5 very well. If you have a good phono stage, the Platinum would be my recommendation. The Reference series cartridges have a lot more output than the Statement series. If you have a very good, quiet phono stage, the Statements will get you better detail and focus/soundstage while the Reference gets you deeper bass with a little less detail. At least that has been my experience so far.

Todd

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Todd,

Re: the MMF5,

What is it about the stock Goldring 1012GX cartridge that you dislike enough to recommend upgrading to a Grado Gold or Platinum?

Just curious.

Eagle_Driver

Oct 19, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 8
Todd, is there anyway for you to get me a lower price than you quoted me
confused.gif

Thanks.

Oct 19, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Todd, is there anyway for you to get me a lower price than you quoted me
confused.gif

Thanks.