Todd, I need your help!!!!!
Nov 28, 2004 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, my dad has finally decided to get out the old amp and turntable and record his LP's onto CD by recording to his computer. They're both these really old Pioneer things. Really cool-looking too! I believe I posted about the turntable a while back actually. So we have the turntable hooked into the amp (for power) and then are running the RCA's to mini to my dad's computer. The problem is that when the stylus thingie hits the LP we get this terrible hum. In fact, whenever it's active there's this annoying hum. Is the cartridge busted or something? I tried plugging it directly into the wall so I could listen via my headphones and amp but that only produced another buzz that was active even when the turntable was off! So I don't think the amp is the problem here, but it seems like the turntable is. Got any suggestions to fix the problem? I can give you more specific into and pics and stuff if you need it.

Nov 29, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 7
It sounds like your TT isn't grounded. Is there a wire coming off the back of the TT with a spade lug on the end? If so, there is probably a single terminal on the amp marked "GROUND". Hook it up there and see what happens.

Nov 29, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 7
Nope, that's grounded, reasoning why there was a buzz even when the turntable was off when I plugged it into the wall, but not the amp (because when I had it in the amp I had that little dude grounded). The hum only occurs when the stylus is on the vinyl and is active and reading the music.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi,

Sounds to me like the cartridge is defective. If you would like, you can send it to me and I will see if it is working. Check all of the connections to make sure they are secure. Look closely at the tonearm wires to insure they are not shorting out on the tonearm or each other.

Todd

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 7
OK. The cartridge might not even be worth sending to you, but I'll see what I can do. I'll let you know more details once I get the chance to actually fiddle with it! Busy lately.

Dec 4, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Todd: We have a Pioneer PL516 with a at4011e cartridge in it. I'm pretty sure that humming and scraping sound is coming from the cartridge at this point. It only happens when the stylus is on an LP. I've convinced my dad to buy a Grado Black from your site, but I want you to tell us if it's a good idea given our cheap turntable and possbility that this will not fix our problem.

edit: All right, we've convinced ourselves it's the cartridge. We messed around with it, all connections are fine. We messed with counterweight, it's balanced perfectly. We cleaned the albums, they're fine, so our order is in.

On the bright side, my dad randomly decided to buy me some flat pads while we were on the site! Very cool, I can't believe he randomly did that for me. Keep in mind I haven't even mentioned them to him in about a year.

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Cartridge and Flat Pads recieved today, Wednesday, via priority mail. Considering you got our order Saturday, this is VERY fast service. Thanks very much Todd! If you can continue helping me, and I'd really appreciate it, please visit my new thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...71#post1112071

Users who are viewing this thread

Back