Today's music versus the real deals from 60/70"s
Sep 12, 2009 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

welchie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I was getting into rock in the 70's when I was just a puppy. Did the whole zeppelin, yes, who, pink floyd, acdc, stones, black sabbath, etc., etc. I still rock out alot to that music, but have matured to Classical, Blues, Burt bacharach, Lulu, You know - that really good stuff from years gone by. I'd like to find new artists that aren't regurgitations of the old stuff, but new quality stuff. I hate over-processed, machined stuff too. Any suggestions? Thanks, Chris

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 9
Try groups like Modest Mouse (particularly their older stuff), The Sea and Cake, Minus the Bear (maybe), maybe Blur, or Spoon, Toe, Sigur Ros, potentially some Radiohead.

I understand folk music groups have also been producing a lot of good stuff lately as well, I'm just not very well tuned into that genre of music to make any recommendations though.

Do keep in mind that being much younger then you, I didn't have the unique opportunity to grow up with the greats of the 70's and 80's. However I do enjoy my share of classic rock and I personally enjoy all of the bands that I listed above.

So give them a try I can't promise you'll like any of them, but if you give some more feedback about your reactions to these groups perhaps more suggestions tailored towards your preferences can be provided.

enjoy!

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 9
Just throwing these out there…whatever you think of them, ya' can't call them regurgitated.
dt880smile.png

The Arcade Fire - Funeral

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

The Go Betweens - Oceans Apart

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys!! I'll definitely give them a listen this weekend and I'll share my thoughts.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam (though with the reaction to their most recent album, Merriweather Post Pavillion, I'm thinking that may be a better starting point)
The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
St. Vincent - Actor
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
Okkervil River - The Stage Names
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
The Roots - Game Theory (or Rising Down)
The Antlers - Hospice
Other Lives - Other Lives

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 9
Hmmmm, here's a few:

Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Devin Townsend - Infinity
Solefald - Pills Against the Ageless Ills
Ulver - Perdition City

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Personally love Coheed and Cambria.... very retro-sound, but great musicians, long progressive songs (a favorite of mine), great music. Takes a few minutes to get used to Claudio's voice for some though...

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 9
wilco_yankee_hotel_foxtrot.jpg

Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out in 2002, but it is still one of the best releases of the decade. Pick up copy and give it a listen - you should enjoy it given the music you're coming from.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 9
I listened to alot of those groups growing up as well. A couple to check out that you may enjoy are Dream Theater and Radio Head. As a genre you may also enjoy post rock such as Explosions in the Sky. I've been meaning to try Modest Mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back