To those not yet supporting yourselves: how much of your 'income' goes into audio???
May 16, 2002 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
I'd set a budget of $1500 for upgrading my headphone system in the holidays--and am constantly looking to overreach that budget
eek.gif
This would be more than half of what I earn from my summer job, and I'm only starting to realize how insane this is
eek.gif

I can sort of afford this because I'm not supporting myself with the money, but still, seems like there are better uses for that money
eek.gif

To those of you who are not yet supporting yourself but have earned money in some way: how many % of your money goes into audio?

Just to check how crazy I am relative to other people here
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 16, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 15
Well let's see... I file as a dependent since I'm a college student, but my sort-of-self-support expenses include laundry, phone bill, getting my hair cut (about twice a year -- LOL), and buying food from some place other than the dining halls.

Aside from that, I spend a fair amount on cigars, plus I buy movies from time to time and during the summer I see quite a few movies -- plus I have to pay for gas if I drive to work (depends on job).

Hm... in the past year I'd say I spent about 1/5 of my income on audio -- but that's a rough estimate. In two hours and fifty minutes when the school year is finally over for me, perhaps I'll take it upon myself to calculate a better estimate.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 15
My advice? PUT THAT MONEY INTO MUSIC!! There are some killer audio combinations that can be had for not much money. After that, its the last few percent of perfection. But why are you doing it? Why, to hear the music better! I suggest identifying and maintaining a simple system, with good synergy, and then using the money to get more music.

Also, try building things. Its not always cheaper, but its certainly SLOWER than just punching in the credit card numbers, which stretches the expense over a longer period of time. Its also educational, and you have a sense of satisfaction at being an active participant in your system, instead of just a mindless consumer. Plus, if you are still under the wings of your parents, they will be much happier to see you building things and working on projects, than just spend spend spending.

If I were a parent, I'd be a little dissappointed in my kid if he just up and dropped 1000$ on headphone stuff. BUT, if he did research, and learned about electronics, and sourced out parts, and then constructed from scratch a killer headphone amplifier, and then bought an expensive pair of headphones to go with it, I'd be a lot more satisfied with them, even if the total amount spent was the same. I wouldn't feel like he was being greedy, or was being swayed by his envy of other people's systems, I'd feel like he was getting some valuable electronics experience, and was learning a good lesson about the good things that can come from your own two hands.

Anyway, take advantage of your situation, and be grateful, if you live with your parents. If they are OK with you hanging around, listening to your wierd music, bringing over your scummy friends, eating all their food, etc, then you better believe they love you! I left my parent's house and protection when I was 16, and while I'm glad I got out into the world early, there are a few years of freedom I missed out on, because I had to spend all my time working.

Peace,
phidauex

May 16, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 15
I count as 'not yet supporting myself' for sure, but I'm only about 5 or 6 months into head-fi audio. I've spent about $300 so far on 3 pairs of headphones, a CD player, and a DIY amp, which comes to probably 15% of income during that 6 month period, also during which I bought zero computer games, a CD and a 2 CD set (both cheaply), and no computer hardware at all *gasp*. I don't think I'm doing that bad. My next purchase in the audio world will probably be this summer immediately following the World of Headphones tour (woohoo!) but I'll have earned more by then.

I am definitely looking forward to getting more CDs this summer, though. I've noticed that some offer little improvement over mp3s but many offer dramatic change -- and that's enough to convince me to start up my CD purchasing engine again like high school. I used to hoard money to buy books and CDs with back in high school, that was my main expense.

May 16, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 15
Joe, I merged the two threads... you'll notice that your first post is actually the first post from the original thread, but I hope you don't mind too much.
smily_headphones1.gif

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.

And yes, I am done with college for the year.
cool.gif
Just chillin' with the P-heads now (haven't listened to them in about a year).

May 16, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
I can sort of afford this because I'm not supporting myself with the money, but still, seems like there are better uses for that money
eek.gif

You would think so. I have it bad though. I do support myself, and I spend a lot of money on not only audio and video equipment but on video games, computers, my cars, about anything electronic, music, movies, books, magazines. I do manage to save a good amount of money though and invest a little here and there. To tell you the truth though, money is for spending. That is how I feel.

May 16, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm a college student in a similar situation -- I work only during the summer, and only support myself in as far as I want to eat, pay the cable and phone bills, pay for gas, etc. (And I think I got my hair cut three times in the past twelve months, so I obviously look a lot better than DanG.)

In the last week, which was really when I decided that I wanted to improve my audio experience, I've spent about $300-350 on one set of headphones, a portable CD player, portable MD player/recorder, CDs, and MDs. I see myself maybe going in for another pair of headphones and possibly an amp in the forseeable future, and that's about it.

I don't feel that I've really spent too much considering what I've got. I've found some great deals online and really have purchased about +$500 worth of stuff for a fraction of the cost. I also realized that I really don't ever spend money, which is part of what prompted me to get into all this -- or to allow myself to get into this.

As long as I have the money to survive, a few dollars to spend on extra stuff, and still enough to pay for my education, I don't think it matters how I spend the rest. Right?

kerelybonto

May 16, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 15
I am wondering if I am the only parent that supported (partially) their kids (percieved) needs for equipment and CDs? My CD collection is just starting to recover from borrowing LOL.

May 17, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
My CD collection is just starting to recover from borrowing LOL.

I have a feeling you and my mother could relate
smily_headphones1.gif

NGF

May 17, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Ok, who voted for 75-100%?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 17, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 15
My parents never were 'audiophiles' persay, but they had respect for a nice sound system. While I was growing up they had a nice turntable (don't remember the brand now!), an NAD 7020 integrated (which is still happily running 20 years later in my living room!), and some Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers. They also had a very good collection of records (some of which I hijacked and are now being played on MY system).

So they gave me a good appreciation for quality sound and music, but they didn't force upon me the concept of compulsive upgraditis
wink.gif

I think its good to get your kids into music, and reflexively, into sound, but its also good to deemphasise the american standard of 'BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY, get out your CREDIT CARD, you NEED NEW STUFF!! BUY SPEND NOW!!' that is really doing some harm to our country, and its more and more targeting youth.

peace,
phidauex

May 17, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 15
My parents and my sister took my CDs, actually. I'm stealing them back once and for all. It is the worst with my sister because she likes to have the CDs lying around on her floor upside down (and she LOVES to lose them) but she has a terrible taste in music so she didn't lose anything I really wanted still.

May 17, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 15
Your topic was:

To those not yet supporting yourselves: how much of your 'income' goes into audio???

When I was a student I used to look forward to earning a regular income and having lots of money to spend.

Now I might earn 10x as much, BUT the taxman takes a big chunk, then there is the mortgage and feeding the family and schoolfees and clothes for four and electricity and services and family holidays and the car and the new fridge and overseas trips to visit aging parents and and and and and ... saving for retirement (???)

Twenty years on, I find I have pretty much the same left over to spend on audio as I did when I was a student ... Oh well
biggrin.gif

Nix

ps ... and then there is the "audio void" - the difference between what your wife thinks you spend on audio and what you actually do spend ...

May 19, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 15
I voted 75-100% becuase I have spent all of my hard saved cash on my W100's, a CHA-47, and a D-EJ925 . . . and I'm also a high school student and thus am living with my parents paying for the necessary stuff like school, food, clothes, and what not.

Although very soon I think that I'm going to make the transition from carelessly spending money on audio gear to carelessly spending money on CD's. I'm very happy with my system now and I want to just update my CD collection for now. Chances are, I'll upgrade in the future, but for now, I'm happy with what I have!

May 19, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 15
I just spended all of it!
Though as I upgrade, I suppose some of that expense will come back.
When I get into something, I am on a mission!
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back