To spend or not to spend...
Feb 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Saoshyant

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been spending awhile, on and off for maybe 6 or so months, debating on spending some money to get some serious headphones.  I currently own and listen to Grado SR80 for alt and rock (my main headphone), XB500 for some EDM and other bass-focused music, Fostex T50RP for Les Mis and similar sounding recordings, and don't stab me for this one, but Skullcandy Aviator (a gift) for when I am listening to music but expect to get interrupted on the phone regularly.

My main source is an iphone 3gs that I have a go-dap amp for, using primarily ALAC with some random exceptions.

I'd prefer to keep the cost under $300, but will toss in another 100 + tax & shipping if I feel its worth it.

I don't particularly care about if its open/closed given they both have advantages and I have no need to avoid bothering others with the phones.

Any suggestions that can be useful in a fairly all-around sense would be wonderful, but I am mainly just looking for a strong performer for alt & rock, altho some decent bass for EDM would be nice.

And of course, any suggestions that are a bit under 300 but still a noticable improvement are always welcome!

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 11

NA Blur

Headphoneus Supremus
To me it looks like you have a great collection and upgrading may not be necessary, but here are some headphones to try that some of us find as upgrades to what you currently own.

AKG-Q701
AKG-K550
Denon AH-D2000 ( no longer in production, but worth a listen )
Sennheiser HD-650 ( good amp needed like the WA6 )

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 11

KingStyles

Headphoneus Supremus
You may also want to look at grado. Great with rock, in your budget, and they are easy to drive from a ipod. To spend or not to spend?........... is this actually a legit question on headfi....:D spend of course

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 11

Saoshyant

Headphoneus Supremus
Both the SR225 & SR325 are certainly tempting, as is finally trying out a Sennheiser, besides the PX200 I have for travel use.  I'd imagine finding a HD-650 in my price range is unlikely, so I'd have to step down to either the 600 or 598.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the Hifiman HE-300?  I know the 400 seems to be very strongly recommended by quite a few people.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 11

traehekat

100+ Head-Fier
I was introduced to Grado headphones through the SR80i and have since upgraded to the SR325i, very happy with it. I listen to mostly rock/pop/folk/jazz and as others have mentioned, Grados are great for these genres (particularly rock, or anything with a guitar really). The bass is a bit lacking compared to the ATH-M50s which I previously owned, but if you use the G-cush earpads I think the bass improves a bit (and makes the headphones a lot more comfortable). If you don't mind that they will not be very portable headphones I think you should give them some serious consideration. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 11

NA Blur

Headphoneus Supremus
I listened to the SR-60, SR-80, SR-225i, and SR-325i and they all sounded the same when I used the same pads on each.  Just keep that in mind when you make your purchase.  Just because the SR-325i costs more does not mean it is magically better than the SR-80i.  They are also terribly uncomfortable especially with the bowl pads which is what comes with the 325i.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 11

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
Grado SR60's are a great value at $80. Also the Beyerdynamic DT770 if you're wanting closed cans. The Grados leak like no other headphone I've heard. Not a problem, but don't use them in a quiet library 
biggrin.gif

Edit: oops, just saw you already have the SR80's. Try a pair of L-cush pads with them. I find those a lot more comfortable than the pads they ship with, and it opens the sound up nicely. +1 for the HD650 as well, but you'll need something like a Fiio E09k to drive them.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 11

NA Blur

Headphoneus Supremus
One headphone you may want to look into if you want a bright headphone that still has a fun sound signature is the beyer DT990 ( 250 Ohm ).  I had it for a while and liked it until I realized it was simply too colored for most of my music which is a lot of jazz and acoustic with vocals.  I went from the HD-650 which at the time I thought was not a very good sounding headphone to the DT990.  It was fun for a while, but in the end I settled on a pair of Denon AH-D2000 which I find amazingly scalable like the HD-650.  All headphones deserve at least 2 months of good listening to fully appreciate or understand their sound signature.  It was not until I heard the HD-650 through the WA6 amp when Tyll let me listen to the STAX009 via Blue Hawaii SE that I realized how awesome the HD-650 really sounds.  Needless to say I am now interested again in the HD-650 because I have a much better understanding of how it sounds.  I just think at low volumes the HD-650 is not the best sounding headphone.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 11

joseph69

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
I was introduced to Grado headphones through the SR80i and have since upgraded to the SR325i, very happy with it. I listen to mostly rock/pop/folk/jazz and as others have mentioned, Grados are great for these genres (particularly rock, or anything with a guitar really). The bass is a bit lacking compared to the ATH-M50s which I previously owned, but if you use the G-cush earpads I think the bass improves a bit (and makes the headphones a lot more comfortable). If you don't mind that they will not be very portable headphones I think you should give them some serious consideration. 

Hi,I dont know if you own the 325is with the (G) cushions, only because you said "I think the bass improves a bit", I've tried the (G) cushions on my 325is's and IMO there is no bass at all, and the high frequencies are harsh, although there is a bigger soundstage, they do not sound like 325is's should sound.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 11

Saoshyant

Headphoneus Supremus
Grado SR60's are a great value at $80. Also the Beyerdynamic DT770 if you're wanting closed cans. The Grados leak like no other headphone I've heard. Not a problem, but don't use them in a quiet library 
biggrin.gif

Edit: oops, just saw you already have the SR80's. Try a pair of L-cush pads with them. I find those a lot more comfortable than the pads they ship with, and it opens the sound up nicely. +1 for the HD650 as well, but you'll need something like a Fiio E09k to drive them.

It only took the first hour of me using the SR80 to realize how much I hated the standard pads, I went the yellow Senn pad route and that fixed everything

Users who are viewing this thread