To MG-Head OTL user with Hum & pot problem !
Nov 30, 2002 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Joe Lau

Antique Sound Lab
.Registration Should be within 7 Dec.,2003 and should send a email to me

I'm apologies on MG-Head OTL with Hum problem & Pot Balance problem.

I had a proposal to user had return MG-Head OTL for repair or had request Dealers or distributor help you to solve problem or had request help in Head-fi. It may be also for TwinHead problem users.

A free gift will be send to you and hope you happy.

I had seen a good idea from evilcthul . He suggest me to design a Tube amplifiers special for HD600 in low cost. I had test the output section. It seem to be good for HD600. It is base on MG-Head OTL but replace the output transformers by a CCS¡£ (OTL mode still need the output but use as a Plate Choke). Eliminated the output transformers result in Lower the cost and will be in smaller size.

I will start to made a Prototype and may be send to Head-fi member or may be jude to test it before release it. The first lot will be not for sell but for free gift to Mg-Head OTL user of which had problem. Mailing cost will be by me or by "Divergent". It will cost around US$200 when reales in N.A

It may be have a Seperated power supply & Tube unit. It may be looking like a SR-Head. It can drive HD600 with very good sound. I don't have a HD600 on hand but I will try to get a pair to test it.
You should send a Email to me for registration. It should have information of where and when you had buy ? or complain or request help thread in Head-fi. It will be delivery around Feb.,2003.
email : sales@tubehifi.com

Rem : It is for MG-Head OTL but not for MG-Head DT.

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 17
Dear Joseph,

Great idea, maybe you can have a common seperate power supply so people can buy different amplifiers later on.

I.e. Maybe they can use it to power your phono stage, SR-Head and new MG Head OTL plus maybe future products like your hybrid amp.

This amp will be small and maybe the seperate PSU will reduce some of the noise caused by the power transformers located near the signal path...

You could probably make the headphone amp into a nice compact cube including a tube cage... MG Cube
wink.gif

Maybe use higher quality parts in the signal path....

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 17
Joe,

Now THAT is how you win customer loyalty - making things right for those who received a product that was less than it should have been. I applaud your wisdom and generosity. I see a great future for you and ASL when you make decisions like this!!!!!!

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 17
Great idea!
smily_headphones1.gif

But what if the customer doesn't own HD600s or any high impedance phones?
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 1, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 17
I wonder if there are enough Sennheiser HD580/600 customers out there to justify this. I like the idea but I personally would pay a little more for a more versatile amp that worked well with my Senn's and other headphones I have.

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 17
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I wonder if there are enough Sennheiser HD580/600 customers out there to justify this. I like the idea but I personally would pay a little more for a more versatile amp that worked well with my Senn's and other headphones I have.

[/size]Some time ago, just for fun, I did a search of headphones listed in user profiles (it's a search that's not currently available via the general forum search feature), and when I lumped the HD-580/HD-600 as a single model, it represented, by a wide margin, the most owned headphone on Head-Fi according to the user profiles. Based only on that admittedly imperfect survey, it's no surprise to me that there are three manufacturers of replacement headphone cables for the HD-580/600. Long story short, the HD-580/600 are very well represented here.

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Some time ago, just for fun, I did a search of headphones listed in user profiles (it's a search that's not currently available via the general forum search feature), and when I lumped the HD-580/HD-600 as a single model, it represented, by a wide margin, the most owned headphone on Head-Fi according to the user profiles. Based only on that admittedly imperfect survey, it's no surprise to me that there are three manufacturers of replacement headphone cables for the HD-580/600. Long story short, the HD-580/600 are very well represented here.

That is the kind of information that is invaluable when one is trying to make a business decision that involves R&D and a commitment of production resources.

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Some time ago, just for fun, I did a search of headphones listed in user profiles (it's a search that's not currently available via the general forum search feature), and when I lumped the HD-580/HD-600 as a single model, it represented, by a wide margin, the most owned headphone on Head-Fi according to the user profiles. Based only on that admittedly imperfect survey, it's no surprise to me that there are three manufacturers of replacement headphone cables for the HD-580/600. Long story short, the HD-580/600 are very well represented here.

Cool beans Jude!! It would be nice to be able to do a search on the various items owned in the profiles so that one could, for example, email/PM a few people who own an item you are looking to buy and see what they think of it!!! That would be cool!!!!

Dec 2, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Cool beans Jude!! It would be nice to be able to do a search on the various items owned in the profiles so that one could, for example, email/PM a few people who own an item you are looking to buy and see what they think of it!!! That would be cool!!!!

It is not for HD600/580 users only but for all user have high effcient Headphone. ¡¡If you never use or will not user high efficient what lost ?
It is avaialble for all user have Hum problem & Pot problem ! So even you are not use HD600/580 still have problem on pot if it unbalance.

Dec 2, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb

Well we will have a OTL32 release on 2003. It can drive 32 Ohm Headphone well. It is real OTL Headphone amp.

Dec 2, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 17
Joe (Lau)
I hope your company can take the hit of all the customers who will contact you about this--including the ones who didn't *really* have any problems. Hopefully by the time you roll these amps out, we'll have some retailers to get them from.

Joe (Bloggs)
It's a free amp. It's a FREE amp. Buy the damned headphones already. Jeez.

Dec 2, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 17
Hey Joseph,

An idea for improving the coupling caps in your amps:
http://www.angela.com/catalog/capaci...ngela_PIO.html

They're paper in oil and reputedly sound as good as the Jensen/Audionote capacitors but are made in China! You might want to put these in your high grade amps as an option or as standard.

They're very very promising and give you that vintage tube bloom...

"We proudly introduce Sequa Audio Signal capacitors! Made In China to our specifications, these NEW axial tubular capacitors feature aluminum foil plates, 50mm tinned oxygen free copper leads, and plastic sheathing over an aluminum case. The overall construction and rich sonic character is very similar to the other aluminum foil paper in oil capacitors we offer. Tolerance 10% (typically better...). Operating range -40 degrees centigrade to +125 degrees centigrade. Every NEW Sequa capacitor we sell is tested at THREE TIMES the rated voltage for ten seconds. Now everyone can afford to use paper in oil capacitors in their tube guitar amp and hi-fi projects.
.01uF/600VDC, 28 x 12mm. $5
.022uF/600VDC, 28 x 12mm. $6
.047uF/600VDC, 28 x 16mm. $6
.1uF/600VDC, 38 x 16mm. $8
.25uF/600VDC, 53 x 19mm. $9
Pair Matching Available For $5 Additional Per Pair. Quad Matching Is Also Usually Available For $15 Additional Per Quad. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back