To HD600 owners
May 22, 2005 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SptsNaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Do you listen to your phones with the little foam covers on or off? I find that without the foam covers the Senn's sound NOTICEABLY clearer, although a bit harsher. I think they might be responsible for making the "veil" a bit more apparant. Vocals also sound a bit more upfront

How many have noticed this difference? Am I just going crazy?

May 22, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 12
edit

May 22, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
That it is too risky?

Reason 1: I could damage "my precious" HD600 by trying to remove the foam covers.
Reason 2: Dirt or hair, as stated in the thread, might damage the drivers.
Reason 3: And the most important reason is that I enjoy the warmth that the foam provides. If I wanted a clearer sound then I could always alter the treble in EAX audio contoller, a much safer alternative.

But, some poeple want or need to rip apart or alter their equipment. For myself, I evaluate how valuable the electronic hardware is to me . I depend on the HD600s, day to day, for emotional stability, so the answer is no. Maybe I would when I commandeer the HD700s!

May 22, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 12
How exactly would you damage the headphones when removing the foam? The pads are meant to be taken out. I guess the grilles can bend a little, but not likely if you watch what you're doing.

I still haven't critically evaluated the difference, but I can see why you prefer the stock method. They do seem warmer with the foam, but definitely not as airy

May 22, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I like my hd600's as they come from the factory. I don't really notice a "veil", perhaps it's the amp you are driving them with.

- augustwest

Gilmore Lite... so no

I never said they sounded veiled stock, I just think they sound more upfront without the foam.

guess this mod isn't really preferred here...

May 22, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 12
edit

May 22, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Don't worry what people do here. The people who post on your thread are a fraction of the people on Head-Fi, and a smaller fraction of those who own the headphone. Trust your ears and be happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back