To find "my perfect sound" my wallet must be disemboweled
Mar 4, 2006 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
I just made a list of all the entry level cans I plan to buy to find what sound I like best & my wallet officially hates me. I've been "Assimilated" so heres the list:
(In no particular order)
Senn HD-25-SP(just bought)
Grado SR-60(eliminated)
Koss Porta Pros
Senn PX-100
Alessandro MS-1

Please comment!(IE:do any of these have very similar sound signature?)

P.S.: Do I use too many parenthesis or does it just seem that way?
P.P.S.:altogether these will cost me about $400

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 17
if you get the MS-1, you won't need to bother with all the other ones in terms of pure sound quality imho! save your cash and get this for $99 shipped!

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
if you get the MS-1, you won't need to bother with all the other ones in terms of pure sound quality imho! save your cash and get this for $99 shipped!

Agreed.

I listen to my MS-1s more than my 600s.

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Yup, just get the MS-1 and spend the rest on beer and women.

Beer comes free with the women.
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
I just made a list of all the entry level cans I plan to buy to find what sound I like best & my wallet officially hates me. I've been "Assimilated" so heres the list:
(In no particular order)
Grado SR-60
Koss Porta Pros
Senn PX-100
Alessandro MS-1

you could do much better for 400, imo. if i were you i'd go for a mid-level senn and grado instead of a bunch of entry level cans, and then buy a good amp for them.
sr60 or ms1 - 70 - 100
hd580 - 125 - 150
that would leave you 150-200 dollars for a pretty good amp, and you'd have a versatile setup with both the grado and senn signature sound.
and if you need a portable set of cans you can always pick up the ksc75 for 15 bucks.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundscape
you could do much better for 400, imo. if i were you i'd go for a mid-level senn and grado instead of a bunch of entry level cans, and then buy a good amp for them.
sr60 or ms1 - 70 - 100
hd580 - 125 - 150
that would leave you 150-200 dollars for a pretty good amp, and you'd have a versatile setup with both the grado and senn signature sound.
and if you need a portable set of cans you can always pick up the ksc75 for 15 bucks.

I completely agree. 400 bucks for a complete set of entry level cans won't get you very far. Get one or two mid/hi end ones and you will be happier for longer.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 17
AKG 501 -$129
Rockhopper Millet Hybrid - $225
Elpac Walwart -$35
Total - $389

icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
(In no particular order)
Grado SR-60
Koss Porta Pros
Senn PX-100
Alessandro MS-1

SR-60 is very close to MS-1. I would just get the MS-1 and the Sennheiser HD 580, since those represent the two most popular "house sounds" (Grado/Senn) at Head-Fi. Then get an amp for $150 (something like a PIMETA or portaphile), and run far, far away from this place. That would be a great headphone setup for anyone, imho.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 17
SR-60 is eliminated! thanks guys, I still don't know if I will get all of these, espescially if I find one I like alot in which case I would find an upgrade that seems appropriate and skip the others on the list. The next phone I buy will probably be the MS-1. If it turns out I like the HD-25-SP alot I'll probably get the HD-25-1 and move up from there. If I find I like the MS-1 alot I'll probably get the RS-2 next and move up from there. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

BTW, the HD-25-SP's don't represent Senn's signature sound at all do they?

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 17
I'm almost in a similar predicament - I want to upgrade but don't know where to upgrade to. But I'm not as brash as you are, spending $400 on a ton of cans to find the right sound.
redface.gif

What I'm waiting for is another big Head-Fi meet to happen in the Portland or Seattle areas, so I can roadtrip with a buddy and find my sound with other people's equipment.
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 17
OMG The HD-25-SP's are the kickass!!! they trounce my er6i's!!! I need to find somewhere to upgrade to eventually so just one BUMP . What I like about them is the really aggressive sound signature. Would I find a similar sound somewhere else in the Sennheiser line? Or do these more represent the Grados' sound? Please where else can I find similar phones? The HD-25-1's maybe or are they more laid back? So many questions and not many Head-fier's listen to Punk Rock do they? I do remember a thread I saw once about favorite punk rock albums though. now I'm ranting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back