To EQ or not to EQ?
Jan 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

K-MONEY

Banned for flipping
I was wondering if any of you guys, especially ones who are really into the audio quality field, and is experienced with headphones and such audio gear adjust the EQ to their likings.

I was told to just leave it flat, but I decided to play around with it for a bit and set it to a way that I like it, I mean REALLY like it.

Any thoughts?

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 66
yeah i play with my eq a lot especially if i change headphones(earbud vs over ears). there is nothing wrong with that it just shows you have a prefered eq and if u change it enough u will see that all your headphones end up sounding similar sound signatured ... lol.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 66
Yeah for sure. Why not. Both on Cowon and the full sized amps. Although need to re-cap the full sized one. 
Did you read the first few posts in this thread you'll find it's really interesting
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
whatever you end up enjoying is best for you I figure. And you'll also see how your tastes may change over time too. Fun.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 66
Yeah I pretty much always do that. I know some people will tell you not to touch the EQ, because you're messing up how the artist intended it to sound and blah blah.

I think the artist will be fine with me putting on a little EQ to his/her music.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 66
Not for CDs at home. Marantz--->Gilmore Lite--->headphones. No EQ in the path.

The only time I used EQ was when I had my Bose QC2s (I know...) at work, I toned down the midbass and lower midrange in Windows Media Player.

I don't listen to much computer file audio. I don't own a portable MP3 player, or a smartphone.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 66
Does it affect the audio quality? Maybe you'll hear less detailed music if you adjust it, or no?

I'm surprised and much more confident now that some of you already admit that you change it to your likings.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 66

Quote:
yeah i play with my eq a lot especially if i change headphones(earbud vs over ears). there is nothing wrong with that it just shows you have a prefered eq and if u change it enough u will see that all your headphones end up sounding similar sound signatured ... lol.

So true haha. Luckily headphones are more than just frequency response balance though.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 66
I change it very little. Just cut the thick lower mid-range a tiny bit and adjust two treble peaks a little.

You could probably turn it off while I'm in the bathroom and I wouldn't even notice it gone. All the changes are on the order of +/- 1 dB at most.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 66
Mixed bag for me.  Never on the big rig speaker system.  I do use "treble reduce" or a manual equivalent for my UCube desk top speakers at the office.  If I am using less than stellar IEM's on my phone I will sometimes EQ to "correct" their anomalies.  Never on my iPod Classic(s) whether going amped or un-amped and, obviously, never when using the iPod->Fostex HP-P1.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 66
I never use EQ

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 66
I use EQ sparingly most of the time, but really like the setting on the Cowon S9. Some of the presets tweak the crossfeed a bit, and offer oversampling in the case of the BBE MP setting. It's pretty interesting to read about the technology behind the BBE+ EQ in most Cowon Players. As far as I've heard, it is the best.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_etc/product_bbe.php

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 66
Yes = cheap headphones amped by opamps.

No = good headphones amped by class A amps.

Self-explanatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back