To choose between Audio Technica A500 or Sony V6 for my IPod???
Mar 31, 2004 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nioooo

New Head-Fier
HELLO there, Im a real newbie to this forum, and Im not familiar with these AV products, pls kindly give me some suggestion.

Recently, I m using the sony E888 for my ipod but I would like to choose a better headphone now, since I m bored to my E888 sounds. Im mainly listen to pop, hip hop, rock, or any kind of music in fact.

My budget is around US100. I dont really need those full sized headphone, but comfortable would be in my consideration. I dont like the PX200 but no why.

Pls give me some suggesions, besides AD500 or Sony V6.

THANX EVERYONE
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 22
From a sound quality stand point, V6 doesn't stand up to the A500 at all. There's no question A500 is a superior headphone. The question is... what are your criteriums in the usage of these headphones?

Are you looking for a semi-portable full-size headphone? Do you need isolation from your surrounding environment?

A500 is not portable simply due to its size (you could, still wear it out as a portable, just looks a little weird to have something that big walking around, it'll draw a lot of attention), but it provides good isolation against the environment.

V6 actually doesn't provide very good isolation, since the padding itself doesn't completely cover your ears. The physical size of the headphone is much smaller, so they can folded up and used as a semi-portable solution. They are also more rugged, so they can withstand being thrown into a backpack along with bunch of other junk.

I never had A500 or A900 break on me in any way, but they do look more delicate, and I do treat them with care, even when I do carry them from place to place.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 22
thanx lindrone's suggetions first.

Yep, Im looking for a headphone for travelling, not really long distance, but 1hour to 2 hours distance. im tried putting on earbuds sometimes i feel painful. I do need some isolation from the surrounding environment. or maybe sometimes for home use too and for long-term use, Dont wanna buy any in the near future.

I would prefer a better sound than my E888, I want improvement.

then, is Sony V6 very bad when compare to AD500???

I would go to see the size of both headphones.

thanx

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 22
There's no question either the V6 or A500 should give you a better overall sound quality than the E888. However, V6's sound leaves a lot to be desired... they're good for their price range (around $60~$70), but there's definitely sound characteristics that are "lacking" for all full size headphones around that price range.

A500 is a much better headphone than V6. V6 has a lot of hollowness in the different sound ranges.. it has a very exciting high, well resolved mids, and very punchy lows; but everything in between that connects one to the other is pretty hollow. So the overall balance is good, but it does leave a lot to be desired.

A500 is much smoother, with detail and definition every bit as good, but it's a completely filled out sound without the hollowness. It also has much better soundstage and sound imaging as well.

It's really just the size that you have to deal with when using them. I'm assuming you're using these for airplane trips or something?

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 22
coz i like to hang around by myself only and for around 2-3 hours a day. so, its a bit long for me already. n I would have to school, it takes me around 1 hour. so sometimes, I would prefer a comfortable headphone more than little buds.

i need isolation, since the bus or train is too crowded n i could hear the noise outsides so clearly, in fact, I really hate it.

is it really too big to use the AD 500??? n weird to use it on the street???

N i would for home use, since im not satisified with my cheap pc speaker.

anyways, thanx again.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 22
I think the V6s provide pretty decent isolation. It probably depends what you're comparing it to and just as importantly the size of your ears. I have small ones and the pads (or Beyer mod) fit completely over them (if I remember correctly).

Not a fan of its highs though.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 22
I second your opinions on the E2. They sound good with certain types of music (like 80's rock) and its sound is not distracting, but most importantly, the isolate very well, are comfortable to wear and are built very well.

I like the MDR-V6 for drum n bass, trance, techno, and rock. It can be a little bright for rock though, but they are excellent cans and do isolate well. They are excellent gaming cans. These are built very well as well.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

coz i like to hang around by myself only and for around 2-3 hours a day. so, its a bit long for me already. n I would have to school, it takes me around 1 hour. so sometimes, I would prefer a comfortable headphone more than little buds.

I think the V6 are your best bet, they are more portable than A500 and it can be power very easily, the earcups are not so big.

Quote:

i need isolation, since the bus or train is too crowded n i could hear the noise outsides so clearly, in fact, I really hate it.

Another option that you might look into, is senn280 they have by far the best insolation of any headphones that I have tried inside $100 range. But sometimes the clamping force it to much, but it all depends on the user.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 22
I was thinking about trying the A500, but my trusty 280 Pro hasn't crapped out yet, so I've been stubbornly hanging onto it. I like its neutrality for classical music, but if the A500 is as good or better for classical (sounds like the soundstage may be better) then I may make the leap. (No return policy at Audiocubes...sigh....)

As for the V6, it is pretty easy to find online or at your local Fry's for about $80.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 22
Somewhat related question while we're talking V6. I have a friend with a pair but the cable was ruined, is it possible to get replacement cables for the V6? I've never actually seen the pair so I don't know what the connection looks like.

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by nioooo

is it really too big to use the AD 500??? n weird to use it on the street???

N i would for home use, since im not satisified with my cheap pc speaker.

anyways, thanx again.

I'll take my A900 outside tomorrow and I'll give you some feedback... I go to UT which is jam packed with students so I'll definitly know what people will think of it...
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 22
oops, i went to the shop n take a look on AD500, its just too big for m ears... even it is bigger than my fact, OMG... i gotta give it up, i dont think i could suit it.

n i couldnt find any Sony V6 in any shops, they only got the 7506pro, n the V600, n the sales told me that sony neva release the V6, i doubt it...

or maybe i have to give it up, better choose the px200???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back