to C-pad or Not to C-pad
Jun 29, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
But just in case these pads will come with the big ports so i can plug and unplug ports at will!

Will these be your first pair of ported C-pads? I'd like to hear how much they help the congestion issue out and how close they can sound to flats with tweaking. Or better, if such a thing was possible
wink.gif

I fully agree that at first the unported Betas sound...well I would call it muffled, there's just so much lacking when I switch to them after a few days on the bowls, but then after a few days with the C-pads listening to the bowls again makes me cringe, they sound so tinny...if the ported flats (I assume you're not getting Zeta bowls) can offer that fullness of bass while keeping the highs pure, I'm definitely up for a pair.

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyboarder
did you have the flat or the bowl c-pads

i believe everyone who has posted here has had the betas (now the zetas) which means they are the flat version.

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
yeah, they were unported. i believe the beta model. I thought ports only increased bass, but I don't really know. Perhaps that would make a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile.com
Ports allow you to adjust the bass and overall sound to your personal taste by adding or removing pegs.

From what I was told, basically, removing ports (opening them) will allow more of that overpowering bass to escape and in return you'll be able to hear the lost highs. So no ports at all gives that congested, muffled type of sound people complain about. I'm not entirely sure though. I guess for very bright cans unported C-pads work well.

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
From what I was told, basically, removing ports (opening them) will allow more of that overpowering bass to escape and in return you'll be able to hear the lost highs. So no ports at all gives that congested, muffled type of sound people complain about. I'm not entirely sure though. I guess for very bright cans unported C-pads work well.

That pretty much sums it up. But really folks, once your ears adjust you get used to it. That said, I'm going to give the ports a go this time around.

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 22
so if i like the grado sound should i get them with just the mini ports (all of the new ones have them) or the ones with the big ports and the plugs

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyboarder
so if i like the grado sound should i get them with just the mini ports (all of the new ones have them) or the ones with the big ports and the plugs

I guess that's the big question. I'll know for sure when mine come this week! But imho having the plugged port option for flexibility never hurts
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 22
I have no problem with Grado comfort at all. I have just seen these and I feel like experimenting.

A lot of people seem to be going this route as they have issues with Grado's comfort levels. I totally understand that.

I wouldn't say I like muffled highs although it's more acceptable to my ears. I usually use tube amplification to take a bit of zing off the highs with any headphone. But I hate the compromise of flats. The loss of detail is my biggest niggle. It's only when I am in ultra
basshead.gif
mode do i switch to flats. Otherwise I use reverse bowls with my Rs-1's. If it's the crappy ps-1's then I use flats no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back