to C-pad or Not to C-pad
Jun 28, 2005 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

crazyboarder

100+ Head-Fier
should i get new headphones or get c-pads for my sr60's?

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyboarder
should i get new headphones or get c-pads for my sr60's?

Both, duh!
orphsmile.gif

Actually, I think it's better to go for the new phones. Let the sr60s be what they are: great, great phones for the price.

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 22
new headphones

the c-pads are great for comfort, but i think they ruin the grado sound (plus they didn't fit me)

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 22
would you sell the grados to get better phones and what would you get

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 22
You could sell the Sr-60 to buy the C-pads....oh wait.

Actually, if you like the Grado sound, maybe move up the line to 125/225/325. But C-pads are necessary if you listen a lot and find the original pads uncomfortable. In my opinion, I find C-pads or some sort of modification necessary. Total cost: $160 ($60 headphones and $100 pads)

New headphones around $160....there's a lot of choices. You could even get an anti-Grado Sennheiser HD600 used for $180.

Or you could try some cheap mods on the Sr-60 like Senn pads or the rubber gasket mod with AKG 501 pads.

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
new headphones

the c-pads are great for comfort, but i think they ruin the grado sound (plus they didn't fit me)

When you say this could you go into more detail. In what way do they ruin the sound.

I was thinking of trying them out.

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 22
Personally, I've found that my c-pad's muffle the Grado detail too much. I happen to be a big fan of the Grado house sound and love the articulation of the treble that I get with the bowls. This also could be entirely my c-pads, I've got a pair of unported betas and I'd love to try the ported ones and maybe some of the newer models. But I really can't complain because I paid only $10 in shipping costs for a practically brand new set of beautiful black betas!
biggrin.gif

GoRedWings, I actually think you might enjoy the C-pad sound based on what I've seen you post about Grado's in general...but this is just IMO!
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
When you say this could you go into more detail. In what way do they ruin the sound.

I was thinking of trying them out.

As ajt said, the biggest change is that the highs are muffled. I can see how some people would even prefer the muffled highs, but I like the brighter sound. I'm sure there were some other changes, but it was a while ago and I can't remember. The highs were the most apparent change.
I have a theory that if you removed the mesh, it will bring them back. However, I wasn't going to start ruining $90 pads. Maybe you could get some and try it, red?
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 22
I don't know...removing the mesh may improve the highs somewhat, but I think the main issue for all Grado pads is the materials and density of the foam used. I just think that it has to do more with the fact that the Beyer pads are covered in velour and that the highs somehow get magically trapped in its thick/denseness!
biggrin.gif

I don't know, from what I've listened to so far, I don't really care for them. But I'm sure most people would tell me that I need to listen on them for a day or so to let my ears adjust to the differences.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
As ajt said, the biggest change is that the highs are muffled. I can see how some people would even prefer the muffled highs, but I like the brighter sound. I'm sure there were some other changes, but it was a while ago and I can't remember. The highs were the most apparent change.

What model C-pads did you try, and on what cans?

Larry told me that if I want to keep the highs on the MS-2i I'd need a ported model (of any type).

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 22
I believe he has the beta ("flat") unported, same as i used to have. Unported, they have big big bass (the air has nowhere to go but back to your ear! But at first listen they do seem congested - that's the nature of a circumaural pad with not much air leakage when compared to a supraural foam pad. Don't worry, after a few days your ears get used to the congestion and you'll realize the highs are still there and everything won't sound as congested (i won't say muffled, because it's not). What you'll end up with is a rich bassy tone with good soundstage (for a Grado!). I actually miss the sound, so I'm looking forward to getting Cpads again for my HP2 (but also for the comfort issue, darn these reverse bowl pads are killing me!) and I'm sure the silver cabling will help the HP2 cut through any congestion that lingers. But just in case these pads will come with the big ports so i can plug and unplug ports at will!

BTW the early original "beta" pads come with NO porting. I believe all cpads now come with miniports so no cpads will ever sound as congested at first listen anymore.

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
What model C-pads did you try, and on what cans?

Larry told me that if I want to keep the highs on the MS-2i I'd need a ported model (of any type).

yeah, they were unported. i believe the beta model. I thought ports only increased bass, but I don't really know. Perhaps that would make a difference.

Really, I did like the cpads. However, I just like the bowls (and flats) better. The cpads made my 325i's sound more like my 595's, but without some of the 595's better qualities. It's all preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back