To Buy or Not To Buy ...
Aug 17, 2002 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
... a 42-inch, plasma screen HDTV. That is the question.

Now, normally this would not be a question I'd be asking myself, but I have the unique opportunity to purchase either the Sony WEGA version or the equivalent Panasonic for around $1000. (I'm not sure if those are the exact models, but they're close.)

The only reason I'm considering this is that each retails in the $5500-10,000 range and I'd obviously be saving a bundle. Now, I'm a lowly college student, living in a dorm next year, and I definitely don't by any stretch of the imagination need such a TV. Before this offer came along, I was debating whether or not to get any TV.

So I have the cash to buy the thing if I want, with enough left over to cover the things I actually do need to buy. That's not a problem. But I'm debating the overkill-ness of this thing. And I have a feeling I'd be sucked into hi-fi video. (I've held off on getting a Sony DVP-NS500V because I know I'll want a progressive-scan player if I get this screen.)

So. Any thoughts?

kerelybonto

Aug 18, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 18
Check www.avsforum.com for opinions. It's a great place for home-theater.

BTW, I voted for "Buy-it"
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 18
I guess I'm the only one who voted for "don't buy it" so far.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just don't see how you could possibly want to risk putting such a piece of equipment in a dorm environment. All the dorms I've seen (including my own) are about the last places I would want to put a large-screen plasma TV. I haven't seen a room where one of these would fit, and common areas get trashed frequently by drunk students and people upset about grades/relationships/money. Don't sweat it -- wait until you're out of college and have your own place... maybe it'll make more sense then. That's my advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 18
If you're worried about being sucked in hi-fi video, you will be. I would buy the set, and get a decent 5.1 system. Next, move off campus -- it's worth it. Buy a few dvds, and charge admission.

I almost forgot. For that price, you should definitely buy. If you're worried about the dorm, there's always Ebay.

Aug 18, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
I guess I'm the only one who voted for "don't buy it" so far.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just don't see how you could possibly want to risk putting such a piece of equipment in a dorm environment.

From visiting dorms when my kids were in school I would agree with DanG. They are small and there was a general lack of respect for others possesions.

Aug 18, 2002 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 18
Having lived in dorms for a year myself, I'd have to say you'd be utterly insane to bring such an expensive TV to a dorm environment. The dorms are simply NOT a place for luxury items. An expensive headphone you could at least hide, but a 42" TV? Live off a TV tuner in your computer or something till you can move out...more likely then not you'll end up moving out REAL quick once you've had your fill of the "college experience" of dorm life.

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 18
If the opportunity is unique to you, an alternative would be to buy it and turn around and sell it for additional school expenses you may encountered. I agree with some of the others, it would be way overkill for the dorm.

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 18
yeah, you could always sell it and make a nice profit off it. But you never know, you could get a big enough room so that you could put it somewhere, but then you would have people begging you at all times to watch your tv.

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 18
Agreed w/ everybody saying buy it, but not for dorm use. Either store it until you get out of the dorms or sell it.

Aug 19, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 18
I had a DLP projector in my dorm room last year which made for a 6 foot movie screen, and bought a cheapish sub and old surround speakers to go along with my marantz receiver and thiel fronts. *humm* sort of spoiled myself after working my ass off all summer.

It was pretty bad ass for the dorm room, but even so i'd say it would be even harder to deal with a plasma, as projectors actually -save- space and are in -less- danger, being located in a closet in the rear of the room all the time anyway.

for $1k though i'd probably buy that right now to put in my bedroom, since i'm in the apartments now, and the projector will be in the living room...

ahh, i may not have the best headphone system yet, but i'm still a spoiled little fcuk, aren't i?

so go for it! its an investment! for $1k you can always sell it later!

Aug 19, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 18
damn...I'm in college, and can barely afford to pay rent for my appartment. Why not upgrade your living situation before upgrading your TV? Personally, skipping the dorms and getting my own place is one of the best things I've ever done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back