To anyone here who has a Sony Walkman player, new or old: please consider taking pictures of it to help out Wikipedia!
Apr 13, 2022 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sonyer

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I joined yesterday after being a long-time lurker. This forum has had a lot of new and old topics about older DAPs! Anyway I just have a humble request to the community here. I recently saw how badly documented Sony Walkman music players are. I think because of the model numbers that can be very confusing (NWZ-Letter/Numbers...) it has resulted in a mess, and I saw this on Wikipedia. The articles about Walkman players were very poor compared to iPod (and others), and on top of that they were incredibly incomplete and outdated. They haven't been fixed/improved for years and I know it's because of the confusing model names.

So I decided to launch a "project" of researching and documenting Walkman players, then publish them on Wikipedia to improve it. It took a long time but I've published some: see the Walkman A Series article: that entire specifications table was build by me (just as iPod articles have always had). Also done so in Walkman S Series. (This is how terrible the article was before today!) It feels good to see these results because trust me I've been wanting to see this for years! I'm currently in the process of doing the same for E Series and eventually other Walkman articles.

However - one thing that is very lacking is the amount of good free photos of Walkman players to use. I don't know why but it is really lacking - by comparison there are a lot of good photos of irivers and Creative Zens let alone iPods. Therefore, I have this request to the good people here: if you happen to have a Walkman DAP, no matter the age or series, please consider taking a nice photograph and release it freely so that it can be used on Wikipedia. It would further help improve the (much-needed) documentation of Sony Walkman DAPs on Wikipedia and I'm sure it'd be appreciated by many people here. (Tip: you can upload to Flickr using a CC license, or you can upload directly to Wikimedia Commons).

Thanks for reading. I hope to see some contributions!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 12
How do you do it? I took some pics of my NW-ZX300 and logged into Wiki. I found a blank field where pics should be, but I can't see how to transfer them?

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 12
Hello all. I joined yesterday after being a long-time lurker. This forum has had a lot of new and old topics about older DAPs! Anyway I just have a humble request to the community here. I recently saw how badly documented Sony Walkman music players are. I think because of the model numbers that can be very confusing (NWZ-Letter/Numbers...) it has resulted in a mess, and I saw this on Wikipedia. The articles about Walkman players were very poor compared to iPod (and others), and on top of that they were incredibly incomplete and outdated. They haven't been fixed/improved for years and I know it's because of the confusing model names.

So I decided to launch a "project" of researching and documenting Walkman players, then publish them on Wikipedia to improve it. It took a long time but I've published some: see the Walkman A Series article: that entire specifications table was build by me (just as iPod articles have always had). Also done so in Walkman S Series. (This is how terrible the article was before today!) It feels good to see these results because trust me I've been wanting to see this for years! I'm currently in the process of doing the same for E Series and eventually other Walkman articles.

However - one thing that is very lacking is the amount of good free photos of Walkman players to use. I don't know why but it is really lacking - by comparison there are a lot of good photos of irivers and Creative Zens let alone iPods. Therefore, I have this request to the good people here: if you happen to have a Walkman DAP, no matter the age or series, please consider taking a nice photograph and release it freely so that it can be used on Wikipedia. It would further help improve the (much-needed) documentation of Sony Walkman DAPs on Wikipedia and I'm sure it'd be appreciated by many people here. (Tip: you can upload to Flickr using a CC license, or you can upload directly to Wikimedia Commons).

Thanks for reading. I hope to see some contributions!

K I will try to add some photos later.

Anyways Mr Walkman has created a free mod for various Sony DAPs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/

These mods are pretty cool, they make the sound better (in terms of layering and imaging), and even has options for different regions and different sound signatures, in addition to increased battery life. The mods make even cheaper DAPs like the A55 sound like a way more expensive device!

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 12
How do you do it? I took some pics of my NW-ZX300 and logged into Wiki. I found a blank field where pics should be, but I can't see how to transfer them?
Have you been able to do it or do you need some help?

K I will try to add some photos later.

Anyways Mr Walkman has created a free mod for various Sony DAPs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/

These mods are pretty cool, they make the sound better (in terms of layering and imaging), and even has options for different regions and different sound signatures, in addition to increased battery life. The mods make even cheaper DAPs like the A55 sound like a way more expensive device!
Thanks. Just an update, all the main Series articles are complete so you can easily spot in the tables what pictures are missing.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Have you been able to do it or do you need some help?

Thanks. Just an update, all the main Series articles are complete so you can easily spot in the tables what pictures are missing.
I tried to fit my pics of the NW-ZX300 in, but I couldn't get it to work. I actually took four pics of my unit: display, charge port, headphone ports and buttons.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 12
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back