to amp SE530 or not to amp
Jun 6, 2008 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mancunny

New Head-Fier
I have no clue since these are my first phones and I havent got them delivered yet. I have no audio experience and would like to hear your opinion. I own an iPod and a macbook pro as my audio sources.

I wish there was a way for me to try out some amps and see if it makes any difference at all.
frown.gif
)

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 11
I was very close to buying the Pico portable amp (still considering it) but to be honest, the source is probably more important. Scroll to the end of this thread to read my post about the different devices I've used to play MP3's through the SE530.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cmo...7/index19.html

The N95 8GB, with 320kbps MP3, tbh, sounds so amazingly clear and precise, I'm not sure I can justify the extra spend on the amp right now. Though I'm definitely considering it. Depending on the device, I don't actually think the SE530 really needs to be amped. Though I'm sure it would help a little.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 11
The SE530s sound so good and loud with my D2 and A3. IDT it needs an amp! On my d2 I go as high as 28 when on the train, and that's very loud. On a quiet place, I bring it down to 21 without amp!!

Jun 6, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 11
Loud, and needing an amp are two very very different things

AKG K701s can go loud without an Amp too as far as I heard, so why do they need one? they are current hungry and an amp improves the sound.

So as I said, loud != good, an amps purpose is to make the audio better through more current and better components than internal amps.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 11
The SE530 are very sensitive phones and any quality DAP should be able to drive them adequately. As long as you have a decent source I can't imagine why these particular phones would need (or benefit from) an amp. I've tried and found an amp totally unnecessary (with a Vision:M).

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Interesting subject! One I I don't have a firm opinion on.

Let me begin by saying that the D2 drives the SE530s very well on it's own. Well enough that for most music and for portable applications it makes you question the need for an amp. A very enjoyable listen without anything extra.

That said, the Tomahawk certainly adds warmth and depth to the music. This is desirable with the D2. The changes are quite noticeable. Clarity, depth, warmth, soundstage all improved.

But the question for me comes down to whether it is worth it for portable use, on the move. Most often for me the answer is no. I have a home amp so don't need a portable amp there. The gains are questionable when working out or doing lawn work, so the portable amp is left behind. In my case I find that I seldom use the portable amp with the D2/SE530 combo which sounds very well without it. In fact, this combo has wonderful synergy.

I have not heard other portable sources. My guess is the SE530s will magnify any weakness in your source. Many portable sources will probably benefit from the use of a portable amp in a big way ... much more than the D2. I also think usage dictates need. Just as a top car audio system makes virtually no sense in a noisy or loud vehicle, so too a portable amp may not make sense for active use or loud environments. Sure, the SE530s isolate as well or better than most IEMs. But when I'm riding my lawn tractor the environmental noise is loud enough that I won't hear the wonderful sound quality my portable amp adds to the set up.

At least that's my current thinking on portable amp use with the SE530s.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 11
I enjoy the SE530 out of my Hornet, and was even more blown away when I heard them out of the Pico, which lead to my order for the Pico. The SE530 sound great even straight out of my iPod, but a quality amp really takes them to another level. In short, I'd say that yes, amp away!

Jun 7, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Love my 530's through my hornet. There is a definite improvement, but they sound great without an amp.

I took my 530's on holiday and didn't take the hornet and fully enjoyed the sound ( so much I decided I didn't need the hornet and put it up for sale ). After it didn't sell I thought I would give it a try and it sounds better all round especially the highs I decided I could not part with it.

In short you will enjoy the 530's unamped but if you have some extra cash and want to make them slightly better ( which is what this site is all about ) get a decent amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back