To All Chinese Music Lover,
Feb 26, 2006 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

coolmanvn1

100+ Head-Fier
Ok first off I could listen to Andy Lau all day without boring my mind, but I only had a few of his cd's. Anyone know any sites that sell chinese music. I had try yesasia.com but their price is a little high, and for some reasons a couple of my ordered always lost in the pacific ocean. However, customer service is A+. If you could direct me in some alternative sites I would greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 36
I've just recently had a bad experience with malmusic, actually the experience is not over yet. I ordered some cds over a month ago and still they haven't sent anything. I've sent them probably dozen emails and they've replied to roughly 4 of them (though they were very polite in their emails and apologized each time for the delay). Unfortunately they have some cds that are not on yesasia and I have yet to be able to find anywhere else so I'm trying to be patient with them....
mad.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 36
Thanks for your recomendation,

Soundboy, I remember one of your thread mention about Susan Wong, so I went out and bought it. She sound awesome, very jazzy style. Do you have anymore artist that you recomend that have the style and the voice like Susan Wong? Thanks,

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 36
Emi Fujita is sort of similar to Susan Wong.

Many new female vocalists from China are not bad and getting better.

Examples (text encoded in Chinese):
孫嫣然
Lily Chen 陳潔麗
伽菲珈而
Jenny Fan 范媛媛
呂晋
李爍
楊洋

I also like Penny Dai and Fish Leong, as well as Faye Wong, Linda Wong, Sandy Lam, etc.

Andy Lau... yuck!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 36
Thanks, everybody for the responds.

But did any of you watch the Healing Heart movie with Tony Leung Chiu Wai in it? There's a theme song sing by a really nice female, "Say you love is", is the title. Does any of you know who sing it? I really enjoy that song. I had the Patty's version but don't really like it. Thanks,

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Emi Fujita is sort of similar to Susan Wong.

Many new female vocalists from China are not bad and getting better.

Examples (text encoded in Chinese):
孫嫣然
Lily Chen 陳潔麗
伽菲珈而
Jenny Fan 范媛媛
呂晋
李爍
楊洋

I also like Penny Dai and Fish Leong, as well as Faye Wong, Linda Wong, Sandy Lam, etc.

Andy Lau... yuck!
evil_smiley.gif

Don't be mean
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 36
A lot of Andy Lau's earlier songs were good, it's the most recent ones that are.......
rolleyes.gif

Though I'm a fan of C-pop I find myself drifting further away from the genre every time a new "artist" comes out.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmanvn1
Soundboy, I remember one of your thread mention about Susan Wong, so I went out and bought it. She sound awesome, very jazzy style. Do you have anymore artist that you recomend that have the style and the voice like Susan Wong? Thanks,

Have you tried Mimi Lo? She belongs to the same music company as Susan Wong and Mimi's albums feature the same producers and musicans. The difference is that whereas Susan Wong covers English songs, Mimi Lo covers Cantonese pop songs from the 70s and 80s in a Susan Wong-ish style. Very good style.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 36
www.hmv.com.hk.

Will ship internationally. Prices won't be the cheapest by a long stretch. No experience with their services.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
A lot of Andy Lau's earlier songs were good, it's the most recent ones that are.......
rolleyes.gif

Though I'm a fan of C-pop I find myself drifting further away from the genre every time a new "artist" comes out.

Artist. The word is too big for these people.

Whenever I ask someone why they think such and such Hong Kong singer is good, the replies are invariably "Why, he/she is already better than the others."

So you see how low we've sunk.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Don't be mean
very_evil_smiley.gif

You are right, and I apologize to coolmanvn1.

I got "Audiophile Female Voices" recently, and the other singers are not bad. It's not clear who some of them are, though. Besides Susan Wong, the other singers on this compilation CD include:

Michelle
Vince Mai feat. Tania Hancheroff
Rosanne Lui
Camay Ng

http://www.rockinmusic.net/album_list.php?id=1

5.jpg

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 36
HK pop "singers" are generally bad because they are created by media companies. No singing experience necessary....all studio tricks on recordings. When performing in from of a live audience, they are almost always lip-syncing; there are "singers" who have never performed live before.
eek.gif

Rosanne Lui has been around since the 80s. She was a nightclub/pub singer who can really do justice to her songs. I am still waiting for SonyBMG to re-release her albums from the late 80s; the original CDs cost a fortune on the used CD market. Her recordings, 3 albums if I am correct, for Rock In Music were done in a 40s/50s jazzy style.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
HK pop "singers" are generally bad because they are created by media companies. No singing experience necessary....all studio tricks on recordings. When performing in from of a live audience, they are almost always lip-syncing; there are "singers" who have never performed live before.
eek.gif

Lip-syncing is now explicitly forbidden in TVB music shows; those fortunate enough to sit through one of these shows will now have an unforgettable evening of atonal music, asthmatic attacks, and feigned tears.

Even more disturbing is the rise of singer-songwriter upstarts. This gang consists of youngish people newly returned to HK, unable to find a job, but somehow has a relative with the right "connection". What is so disturbing about this gang is that they are always marketed as "talented", "with a vision", "technically assured" -- even if they can't sing to save their lives. Sad but true: they are going to be the rickety yardsticks by which a new generation of audience judge music.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 36
There are many "manufactured" Taiwan singers, too. The one I dislike most is Jolin Tsai. I feel a bit ill already typing her name.

Due to the large number of future potential singers from China, I think there's hope for quality Chinese-language singers. The problem will still be the lack of creative songwriters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back