TMA-1 or HD-25 II?
Nov 7, 2010 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ANinjaBurrito

Head-Fier
Basically coming down to these two.

Do I need an amp for both of these to shine? I don't have one currently.

If there is a better option in the $100-$250 range, I would love to know.

I listen to ska, dnb, dubstep, post rock and ambient mostly.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 14
TMA-1 do not need an external amp, they are extremely efficient and a DAP will drive them to ear damaging levels.  I haven't spent much time with my TMA-1 plugged into my home set-up (I purchased them as a portable), however my initial impressions would suggest the sound improvement with better source and desktop amp is not significant.  I am happy with the TMA-1 sound straight from a DAP with 320 mp3 files.

I think they represent solid value in the $200 market; decent headphones at this level don't suffer from diminishing returns.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm just too worried that these (TMA-1) won't perform well with things like horns.

Can anyone confirm that they are decent at things other than deep bass tracks? If so, these WILL be my Christmas gift to myself
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 14
I own Hd25-1 and they are great at almost everything I throw at them, with both headphoens TMA-1 and HD-25-1 you are looking at slightly rolled of high and emphasized bass, both are durable and well built, sound wise, no one compared them to each other yet or I havent read any comparisons yet.

for HD25-1 I read that their SQ scales up with the source. I use Zune HD to ibass T3 to Hd25-1 and comparing the T3 helps with the bass extension that would be missing in some of the R&B tracks, over all I dont think it increased the SQ by much but then again the cable im useing to connect zune to the T3 is not of berst quality, waiting on my nutric plugs to make a new mini to mini. will report back once I do though.

Read this, it should help you decide Hd25-1 =/=TMA-1. 

http://www.headfonia.com/aiaiai-tma-1/2/

In short, TMA-1 great for electronca (techno) with good low end bass, HD25-1 Tighter pucher bass but lacks the low extension to the bass, the vocals are alot more forward while the TMA-1 is more laidback, basiclay, HD25-1 warm with Tight bass headphones TMA-1 Laid back (all relative, Grado is warm compared to Dark HD25-1 so TMA-1 would be even darker, etc). Very intersting review.

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Now i'm starting to worry about wanting the TMA-1. I wouldn't say that my music tastes are mostly electronica, i'd say about %25 is. I might just go with the old standby, 25's.

Still, I want the TMA-1's just to... try them out
biggrin.gif

I can always sell them later :p

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 14
It is interesting that the Headfonia review states the TMA-1 as being "laid back", not my opinion at all.  I concur with soviet911 that TMA-1 is warmer than HD25 which is warmer than Grado (generalisation), however I would not describe Grado as warm (they are on the bright side IMO) and the TMA-1 is not dark, and it is not a bass only headphone (although it is very competent in this area, it is not a DJ bass animal).  Grado is forward (as forward as it gets IMO) HD25 is also forward and seems to lack a little in extension (at both ends of the sound spectrum) and the TMA-1 is also forward in the mids, albeit not as forward as Grado and probably not as forward as the Senn.  Both the HD25 ad the TMA-1 are decent performing "portables" they just have different sound signatures.  I prefer the TMA-1 but I can understand others preferring the HD25-II. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 14
FOTM is simply a label, appropriate for headfiers that report unrealistic performance of a headphone and get caught up in the hype of something new (or something "discovered" for the first time).  Realistic comparrisons with other similar headphones regardless of whether they are classics or not, will inevitablely be made (and be welcomed in my book).  I think that AIAIAI have produced a winner in the TMA-1 and if that means that they get some additonal hype and exposure as a result of some people getting caught up in FOTM, then that is a good thing.  The capable portable market is hardly flooded IMO, and when a new player arrives that deserves attention the forum is a great place to alert Headfiers of an alternative.  AIAIAI won't be able to compete with Monster Beats and Bose (or Sennheiser for that matter) on the marketing stage, but they can sure compete in the design and sound arena.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 14
not really sure about competing with the HD25-1 in the design arena. I certainly would not use them for DJing for instance. I need something that can clamp hard against my ears to provide good isolation. I also need something with extended treble. Going by descriptions of the sound quality of the TMA-1, I cannot understand why designers chose such sound signature for a headphone for studio application. It seems off. It could be great as a protable headphone or consumer headphone though.  

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
not really sure about competing with the HD25-1 in the design arena. I certainly would not use them for DJing for instance. I need something that can clamp hard against my ears to provide good isolation. I also need something with extended treble. Going by descriptions of the sound quality of the TMA-1, I cannot understand why designers chose such sound signature for a headphone for studio application. It seems off. It could be great as a protable headphone or consumer headphone though.  

The way that i understand it is that most people prefer the TMA-1 for home and portable use. For DJing however, the HD25-1 are still better because if the things you stated, clamping force and isolation.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

Yeah i think ur wrong on the design aspect and especially the "clamping"(See below) but as far as the treble goes i've heard amp/eq is all thats necessary to lighten up the dark sound the tma's produce unamped sound. Actually i've heard treble is just fine for the most part but i do agree it can be dark: http://www.headfonia.com/aiaiai-tma-1/2/ I also think isolation is better than the HD-25's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Design:

I have to admit, I traditionally don't like the fit of supra-aural headphones.  This made picking up the TMA-1 a bit of a gamble before I ever pumped sound into them, but the reports of a "loose fit" intrigued me.  I've read reports of AiAiAi changing the headband to one with more tension for the latest production release and, if this holds true, I probably received one of them.  They're far from "falling off" as others reported as I can shake my head to an unnatural degree without them budging.  However, their clamping force is not excessive at all.  Due to the composite material the headband is made from, they have enough tension to stay put without putting any extra stress on the ears or cranium.  The semi-leather pads are also extremely plush while the earcups themselves are on a bit of an axis increasing the level of comfort.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back