Tivoli PAL!
Aug 15, 2002 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
For those who are big fans of the Tivoli Model One and Model Two (like me!), check out the new Tivoli PAL (Portable Audio Laboratory):

https://www.tivoliaudio.com/pPALBRN.htm

It has the same tuner and killer tuning dial as the Model One/Two, but comes in a rubberized, weather-resistant enclosure with a slightly smaller driver. It includes a (replaceable) Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack for cordless operation (and recharges in 3 hours). It also includes an auxilary-in jack (for a portable CDP, MD, or MP3 player), a headphone-out jack, and a telescoping antenna. Oh, and it comes in eight colors
biggrin.gif

What's funny is that I was just wishing I could find a bathroom radio or portable radio that had the stellar tuning and sound of the Model One/Two units -- this looks like a sweet setup.

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 8
Oooh, that would be great for listening to classical radio while enjoying coffee and cigarettes on the patio at my new appartment. Which stores will be carrying them?

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 8
I've been getting catalogs in the mail with the PAL in them but have been unable to find one in any brick and mortar stores that carry the Tivoli line. Mac, the driver is smaller??

Oh yeah, here it is, I see that the PAL has a 2.5" and the Model 1 has a 3" spkr. Strange...wonder why they changed??

BTW, have any of the rest of you heard the subwoofer for the Model 2? IT sounds worse than none to my ear. Really muddies the sound. Also BTW, since the Model 2 is stereo, I find the tuner does not work as well as the model 1 since it is more subject to multipath distortion and the like.

Aug 15, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 8
I've got a red PAL and I also purchased a yellow one to give to my sis' for Christmas. Amazing, of course. It's driver may be a bit smaller but I can't tell much of a difference when compared to my Model 1.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Kev:

Supposedly The Good Guys will be carrying the PAL line.

As for the stereo/mono difference, we haven't noticed any difference between the two over here, and we tend to get quite a bit of mp problems.

I haven't heard the sub, but to be honest, the idea of it seems kind of silly to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Kev:

Supposedly The Good Guys will be carrying the PAL line.

As for the stereo/mono difference, we haven't noticed any difference between the two over here, and we tend to get quite a bit of mp problems.

I haven't heard the sub, but to be honest, the idea of it seems kind of silly to me
smily_headphones1.gif

I went to Good Guys, Magnolia, Brookstone... They all looked at me like I was from Mars. None of them had ever heard of PAL. Heck, some of them didn't even know they carried Tivoli products until I pointed them out to them on the shelf. What's a Tivoli? PAL what? gimmeabreak...

Regarding the sub... The Model 2 sounds great by itself and pretty bad with the sub. I honestly couldn't detect any deeper bass at all, but the mid bass was all befuddled and of course the stereo imaging was completely destroyed with the sub as well. I would say unless you get a real sub you can hide in the corner on the floor, you're better off without one.

Aug 16, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
I went to Good Guys, Magnolia, Brookstone... They all looked at me like I was from Mars. None of them had ever heard of PAL. Heck, some of them didn't even know they carried Tivoli products until I pointed them out to them on the shelf. What's a Tivoli? PAL what? gimmeabreak...

LOL! I think the key part of my post was the "will be carrying" (as opposed to "currently have a clue")
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, the Good Guys web site already lists all eight versions of the PAL.

Quote:

Regarding the sub... The Model 2 sounds great by itself and pretty bad with the sub. I honestly couldn't detect any deeper bass at all, but the mid bass was all befuddled and of course the stereo imaging was completely destroyed with the sub as well.

Looking at the size of the sub and its design, that was my prediction -- good to know I was right for now wasting my money on it...

Aug 16, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Oooh, that would be great for listening to classical radio while enjoying coffee and cigarettes on the patio at my new appartment. Which stores will be carrying them?

Check out the dealers in your area here:
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/dealers.pl
In Oregon we have Magnolia Hi-Fi, Good Guys, Chelsia Audio, and Brookstone that carry Tivoli products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back