Tivoli Audio Henry Kloss Model One Table Radio
Jul 3, 2002 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ian

Lifting Meridians by their trays
pM1WHTgnt.jpg

Ok, so I've been blabbering and whining about not getting my table radio for a while. Well, this morning it FINALLY came in (gotta hate UPS Ground!).
Well, I anxiously pulled it out of the cool box (With a nice picture of Henry Kloss), and the first thing you notice is the size. It is TINY! But after I plugged it in I was in shock. The sound I'm hearing physically can't come out of a box this tiny. Can it?
The tuning is absolutely sweet. The amber tuning light gets brighter when it finds a strong signal, and the huge tuning nob is incredible smooth and accurate. The 5:1 gear ratio makes it feel very cool.
After messing with the radio I checked the headphone output - not bad at all for such a little box! It is only mono, but at least it comes through both channels.
The input is only mono too, but plugging in my mp3 player and cd player worked just fine. Running it off my laptop right now.
And the sound - wow. This thing sounds so great. Plenty of bass. Obviously not too much lower extension, but the bass it has is very tight and smooth. The midrange is smooth and clean, making spoken voices sound especially great. The upper ranges are quite smooth and refined, and I haven't heard any shrieking noises yet. And that's listening to Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger, which can sound quite bright on many headphones.
I'll follow up more later, but all I gotta say is ORDER ONE!!!
It's only $99!!!
If you don't have a table or little speaker system already on your desk, you need this. Trust me. Read the other reviews! It's a very cool toy..

Jul 3, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 11
I forgot to add, I wish I got it in stereo, it would make it so much cooler! If the stereo model is just like 2 of these (and it sure looks that way), I'd put it against ANY mini-system in the $300ish+ range.

Jul 3, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 11
I have the model two. Do your self a favor and send it back and order a model two. Mine is outstanding. I also got the sub and am going to get the CD player when it becomes available. I use it in my office and boy do I get alot of compliments on it. Tha AUX is nice on the model Two b/c it allows you to hook up a cd player. For the extra $70 bucks, you would be crazy not to go for the Model Two! And besides, I would have had to change my name to "1 Channel"

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, it's cheap enough just to give it a try like I did. I'd certainly reccomend it! It really suprised me. I knew it'd be good, but I wasn't expecting this good.

And now I'm trying to decide if I want to send it back to get the model two! The UPS ground shipping took so long I don't know if I can take waiting! Also, the space is an issue since I have to carry it back and forth from Oregon to New York. Might stick with model one for now.

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 11
They are very cute, and sound good too. They do voices very well, and music sounds better than other stereo radios. If you get one - check Levengers.com for pricing. They were selling them for $59.

Jul 3, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
hmm? I was looking for the radio there, but I can't find it. . .

I should have checked before posting. I just called their customer service (900.545.0242)and they are sold out. He didn't know if they would get more in or not.

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 11
I heard a rumor somewhere about a tivoli CD player that goes with the model 2 system. Now that is a mini-system

Jul 6, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 11
I just got my Tivoli Radio -- it's definitely a nice piece of equipment for the price. I paid $89 from The Good Guys. It only outputs mono, but the sound quality is good despite that. A little light in the bass, but nice full sound. I have it connected to my headphone amp. I'll have to try out the headphone out and the built in speaker, but right now I'm very content just with the line out.

Recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back