Tired of reading reviews, Need answer
Sep 4, 2009 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Crooks141

Head-Fier
Im just about to purchase my first pair of high end headphones and i need a definitive answer.

Im currently looking at the PRO 750/900 or HFI-780. I want a headphone that will shine with Trance music, as im a huge trance addict. I use onboard audio, but may buy a new soundcard/amp or w/e in the future.

The main thing i want to know, is if i will be disapointed with the PRO 750/900, im leaning towards the 900 as ive heard its a safer bet and smoother then the 750 with treble.

I need a definitive answer as to which of these headphones will be better for me, as i live in canada i will order these from the states without the chance to hear them and most likely will not mod them.

Thanks

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you simply want somebody to tell you what to buy? Hmm... doesn't sound safe.

I think you would be brutalizing any decent headphones with onboard audio and you're probably going to hate the buzzing/hiss that onboard tends to have with most closed, high-sensitivity headphones (like most Ultrasone).

Do you have a recommendation for an under 200$ setup?

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pro 750 is terrible, avoid it at all costs unless you like shrilly highs and recessed midrange. My ears were ringing after auditioning it.

What do you recommend then?

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooks141 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im just about to purchase my first pair of high end headphones and i need a definitive answer.

Sorry, there are no definitive answers. No one has your ears. Can you make it to a meet at some point? If not, abandon your quest for answers, and read more reviews, especially from trance fans, pick something that can be resold in Canada easily, and report your opinions.

You're starting with no data about what you prefer, and that's not good. Is there nothing you can go listen to? Even a CD store with 5 different $50 headphones would improve on what you have now. Maybe you'll find you're irritated by a lot of treble, or you love bass, or you want a certain loose quality. Something. The point is that knowing your favorite music genre is not enough. Find a way to listen to something, report what you hear and what you like, and report that here. Then you may get some useful recommendations.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooks141 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you recommend then?

My shure SRH840's shine with trance. Tracks like Songless - Lange, Rosaries - Aly & Fila, or In and Out of Love - Armin Van Buuren (original mix from Imagine) really show the range and soundstage of these phones. They go deep, real deep. They are low enough impedance and high enough sensitivity to be driven by an ipod, but do benefit from decent portable amplification. I listen to a ton of trance, and ASOT 2009 is part of my daily routine. These cans do the tracks justice. And if you bargain @ JR.com you can get them for about 170 USD shipped, so less than 200 CAD to your door.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, there are no definitive answers. No one has your ears. Can you make it to a meet at some point? If not, abandon your quest for answers, and read more reviews, especially from trance fans, pick something that can be resold in Canada easily, and report your opinions.

You're starting with no data about what you prefer, and that's not good. Is there nothing you can go listen to? Even a CD store with 5 different $50 headphones would improve on what you have now. Maybe you'll find you're irritated by a lot of treble, or you love bass, or you want a certain loose quality. Something. The point is that knowing your favorite music genre is not enough. Find a way to listen to something, report what you hear and what you like, and report that here. Then you may get some useful recommendations.

x2

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pro 750 is terrible, avoid it at all costs unless you like shrilly highs and recessed midrange. My ears were ringing after auditioning it.

x2 on this. I had the same experience. for an under-200$ deal go with the hfi680 or 780. They sound reasonably well straight out of a laptop (although you really need that dedicated amp!
evil_smiley.gif
).

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Alright, i know what kind of sound I like. I want something with clear mids/highs (without being too harsh) and fat bass (That doesnt make it sound muddy)
biggrin.gif
My old computer speakers were the muddiest bass monsters ever and i cant stand them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back