Tips for Klipsch Custom 3?
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tuan2195

Head-Fier
Hello, guys. I'm new to head-fi. I've been visting and viewing this page for a few months, but now I decided to join it, for the greater good :D

Oh well, back to the main topic.

I have a Klipsch Custom 3 and just lost one of its large ear tips. And now i cannot get a good seal in my left ear, and it sounds really weird (you know, bass on the left but not on the right) So i'm asking about the replacement tips for the C3. I'm interested in the Sony Hybrids as they're quite cheap but i don't think they'll fit (the C3 has a strage nozzle, plz look at the pic)

Anyway, if they hybrids won't fit, you're welcome to recommend another. just not any foam tips (i had some bad experience with those)

P.S.: if you wonder why i'm asking this but not just walk to a store and try em out, its because i live in Vietnam and i have to buy those stuffs off Amazon and it'll took about 2 weeks shipping. And i don't want to wait 2 weeks just to find out some tips i prdered doesn't fit me. :p

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 5
http://www.amazon.com/Pair-Size-Large-Black-Replacement/dp/B004CN91EC/ref=sr_1_30?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297253169&sr=1-30
Also may i ask will this fit? it's nothing special, but maybe good god a guy who lost his stuffs alot like me.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi Tuan2195,
head-fi has been my resource for quite awhile now but i never done a post before.
So since i tried out the hybrids on the KC3 before. I thought i'd do my first post.

Personally i use the KC3 with the stock medium sized single flange.
I use the single flange for the convenience of getting a seal faster on the go,
as opposed to the bi flange as i find the stock oval bi flange a pain to use.
I'm aware you use the large  tips therefore your mileage may vary.

I am not very good at communicating what i hear, so do put up with my vague descriptions.
With the medium hybrids, i get a very good seal. However it does change the sound to one that is slightly too warm for my liking.
The stock medium tips do not isolate as well comparitively to my medium hybrids, i guess i get about a 90% seal, but it works great for me.
I do not find the sound being lacking or anemic with the stock medium tips (obvious for me when i get a bad seal like something which is abt 80% or below for me).

I had also tried the KC3 with ety tri flanges and even though i usually dislike using tri flanges as i find most of my IEMs don't synergise well with them, i find the KC3
to work very well with the ety tri flanges.
The much extra effort and time spent to get a proper fit with them is definitely worth it if you use the KC3 at home.
For me, the tri flanges do not add coloured bass that i experience with the medium hybrids.
Yet the isolation just helps to bring out the details and texture that the KC3 has problem bringing out with a near perfect seal like i had with the hybrids
(my guess being it's most likely caused by the overtly warm sound i got with the hybrids).

Btw, do stay away from the westone and shure tri flanges, due to the nozzle design of the KC3,
the stem on the tips are too long for both westone and shure tri flanges.
I tried them and they certainly do not work on the KC3 unless you trim them down beyond the base flange.
Also, i tried the small and medium olives with the KC3 and they are not good for me as insertion becomes too deep within the canal, same problem with the westone and shure tri flanges.
I didn't trim down the olives so i can't say if they would work with a little DIY.

The single flange tips you posted on the link look alot like audio technica single flanges.
Audio Technica tips will fit the KC3 but the fit on the nozzle is not very tight and if you wanna use them, be prepared that the tips might land up stuck in your ears upon removal.

Below are pics of my KC3 with medium hybrids and ety tri flanges. I hope you enjoy your KC3 with your new tips!
Cheers!!!

KC3 with medium hybrid tips

KC3 with stock medium tips on left and Ety tri flange on right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back