Tinnitus
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #91 of 207
It's a psychological condition as much as a physical condition IMO. A physical condition where sound is generated via impulses of unknown origin. And a psychological condition that makes you aware of it.

I have tinnitus for as long as I can remember but just got aware of it consciously the other day.

What do you base that idea on? How did you know you had Tinnitus before you were aware of it ??

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #92 of 207
What do you base that idea on? How did you know you had Tinnitus before you were aware of it ??

Based from clinical literatures about tinnitus and it's pathophysiology. Physical in the sense that the sound is generated via unknown mechanism (for he kind of tinnitus that has no secondary cause such as ear diseases, tumors, wax, Etc.) and transmitted to the auditory center of the brain. Psychological in the sense that you are conscious about that particular stimuli (sound/hum/ringing) and are aware of it.

I know I had tinnitus long before I was aware of it because before, I didn't know that what I was experiencing/hearing was tinnitus. I thought it was a normal thing to hear high pitched ringing in my ears when there's no background noise or dead silent. And now, being aware of it as tinnitus I'm already conscious and sensitive about it. It is present continously. It means that before I was aware of it, I didn't pay attention to it therefore it's not in my mind and completely ignorant of it.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #93 of 207
For example, if I'm doing something or I'm busy and my attention is somewhere else, I'm not thinking about it and I'm not "hearing it". But when suddenly I think about it and check if it's still there, it is there and I can hear it. That part is psychological even though the physical part (tinnitus) is present continously.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #94 of 207
When I am wearing my hearing aids the 'white noise' volume goes down. The hearing aid companies that I checked out, Resound and Widex have software programs where there are sounds playing softly to redirect the tinnitus noises that we hear. I don't usually use that setting and cannot comment whether it gives any relief once the program is shut off.  While its on it does replace what I hear.

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #99 of 207
Oasis was the band.

His attitude towards tinnitus is spot on though.

If that works for you great. I would have thought that a more sensible approach would be to raise musicians awareness of the danger so that they can take measures to avoid damage to their hearing.
Macho posturing seems a bit pointless.

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #100 of 207
To prevent noise induced hearing loss from progressing, I usually take high doses of Vitamin A, C, and E as well as other minerals, etc.

Antioxidants help clear and prevent the buildup of free radicals in your ear which are produced by cell mitochondria when the cells are stressed from high volume, which are toxic and will kill your hearing.

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #101 of 207
To prevent noise induced hearing loss from progressing, I usually keep away from loud noises and use protections as often as I need to even if my friends find that I behave like a dork. ^_^ best method so far.

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #102 of 207
  To prevent noise induced hearing loss from progressing, I usually take high doses of Vitamin A, C, and E as well as other minerals, etc.

Antioxidants help clear and prevent the buildup of free radicals in your ear which are produced by cell mitochondria when the cells are stressed from high volume, which are toxic and will kill your hearing.

I am not aware of scientific evidence to support your claim and I believe the great majority of nutritional scientists would not approve of the your advice.  I know one can read what you have said in many webpages, books, magazine articles and I would be surprised if Dr. Oz hasn't said the same thing. There are an abundance of voices saying what you said and a lot of people believe it.  You're not alone so I am not trying to single you out.  I'm not trying to be nasty or pick a fight either but in spite of great hope for antioxidant therapy and even a few positive studies, on balance it has turned out to be a total scientific disappointment.  Yeah, I know a million people say they tried it and it works but that is anecdotal evidence, there's no good science to support the claims or beliefs. The take antioxidants belief has been around for a long time and is pretty widely believed.  That doesn't make it right.

[I should add that the belief in supplements sort of parallels the objectivist give me a double-blind ABX test versus the I know what I hear subjectivists whose differences of opinion are found throughout these forums.  I say roughly because the nutrition research is more clearly defined and focused than the audiophile wars.  It may even be easier to do an experiment]

To recommend questionable antioxidant therapy instead of turning down the volume (or buying 1964 Ears ADEL CIEM technolology if you believe in that) could literally cost other people their hearing.  If you are relying on vitamins and antioxidant theories to protect your ears and hearing, you are going to suffer hearing loss and tinnitus.  Do yourself a favor, turn down the volume and throw away the dietary supplements.

(and before you flame me, I should point out I read the peer-reveiwed research literature about this stuff regularly, I have a PhD in Biochemistry and I have taught nutritional biochemistry for many years).  In the off chance the posting was in jest I will say it was a good one, it fooled me.

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #103 of 207
  To prevent noise induced hearing loss from progressing, I usually keep away from loud noises and use protections as often as I need to even if my friends find that I behave like a dork. ^_^ best method so far.

Brilliant!  I have tried to do the same thing.  I have tinnitus and moderate HF hearing loss although my hearing is better than average for my age.  I have avoided loudness and loud noises for a few years now and it amazes me that I now can't tolerate loud music or other loud noises.  At the gun range I wear earplugs and ear-muffs.  In the shop I do the same thing.  When I use gas powered tools outdoors I always use super hearing protection.  I just can't work without it.  Seems odd to have hearing loss and at the same time find loud sound painful.  Don't know what that's about.  Anybody else have this experience?

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #104 of 207
I have these on my key chain, which basically goes with me everywhere.

http://downbeats.com/

I use them all the time, and it is very difficult to see them when I wear them.  Surprisingly, I can still hear fairly well with these inserted, and can carry on a conversation with everyone around me.  They help with loud music, crowds at major events, building alarm testing, jet travel, lawn care equipment, you name it.  Anytime noise becomes irritating, I reach for these.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #105 of 207
Went to see Rush last Saturday. They were LOUD. I've been using these at concerts for about 15 years. At Rush I took them out for 15 seconds during a favorite part of Tom Sawyer and thats it. No ringing for more than 1/2 hour afterwards and minimal at that.  I kept thinking to myself, how many people hear are ruining their hearing?  I noticed only a few people with protection.

Next show, I'm bringing both my customs and seeing how much isolation they give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back