1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Tinnitus..............Do You Speak It ?

?

How many people here have Tinnitus ?

1. Yes

87.8%
  2. No

12.2%
  3. Don’t know what it is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
First

Back
3 4 5
Next

Last
  1. Brooko Contributor
    Or more likely - most people haven't seen the thread. I'dd be willing to bet if it was featured on the front page, you'd have 100s of responses :wink:

2. Amberlamps
    No doubt,

There has been 1.5 million replies in this sub forum, I thought the poll would of been higher but, who knows what the next 5 years will bring :)

3. Richsvt
    I can't say for certain but I think I am in the early stages. I have an appointment with an audiologist soon to help determine the extent.

Mine was not caused from a single traumatic event but over time. I remember going to concerts and always getting that threshold shift right after. Years of doing that and playing headphones too loudly. I'm in my 50's and the damage is now becoming apparent. It could also be my attention that is being drawn to it as I do some critical listening and the ringing gets in the way.

I have been trying to practice safe sound and keep my volumes low. I hope with some lifestyle changes, I can keep it from getting worse...ah, the foibles of youth.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Amberlamps likes this.
  4. Whazzzup
    Maybe this hobby has brought me to the edge of some ear damage, Daniel lanois slide guitars were hitting a certain pitch that fed into a ringing sound. Now I turned down Daniel immediately and thought sure you are getting on, been to hundred concerts, but now I bring ear plugs to movies, concerts, etc... the problem is the plugs kill certain frequencies so veil city so sound quality sucks.

5. Amberlamps
    That doesn’t sound good, usually noise makes it fade away, unless it’s one of those 30 second ones that start off with a low pitch and then ramps the volume so that for a few seconds I can’t hear any normal sounds. They are brief and not that frequent. If you can hear it whilst listening to music, that isn’t a good sign. I would see a doctor about that, as there is a few disease’s and illness’s and medications that can damage our hearing. Antibiotics is well known for it, lots of medications can be ototoxic.

Whazzzzzzzzzzup in tha haus :)

Earplugs are vital I think, especially at concerts, nightclubs, the ones where you have to shout to the person sitting next to you as the music is so loud.

Plugs are vital if you goto an airshow, I swear to god, one of those things taking off is enough to not only rape your ears, it will do it at the same time that it makes you schiit yourself.

Now I know why there is a mile long stretch of mobile porta potties at airshows.

I don’t want to get old, imagine having to watch tv with subtitles or with a little dude in the bottom right hand corner doing sign language, all the time.

That schiit would put me off tv and movies for life, but it’s ok, as I’m special, ever since I did my back in and damaged spinal cord and nerves, I schiit you not when I say this.

My feet can feel music and tv. It’s weird, I just need to stick my feet up and aim them at the tv and I can feel what is happening audio wise. Ok I can’t translate that into an analogue waveform that I can hear, but I’m sure that would be the easy part, if not, I can use digital instead, after all, it is just 1’s and 0’s.

Tinnitus sucks dude.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Nik74 likes this.
  6. Richsvt
    I did have a nasty ear infection back in June and was on antibiotics. It went away but my doctor thinks it may be some residual damage from the infection. I have a follow up in a couple weeks to determine if it's that or something else. It's not always there and it is most apparent during high frequency sounds...

Amberlamps likes this.
  7. Kukuk
    I once had a sinus/middle ear infection that caused REALLY severe tinnitus. It lasted a really long time, too. Months. Like, maybe 10 months. Stressed me out immensely. It got to the point that it would go away if I laid a certain way, which really helped to calm me down. Once the infection properly cleared, almost all of it stopped. I did get some fairly minor permanent tinnitus, almost certainly because I pushed myself and listened to music while my ears were stuffed up. Thankfully it's only in one ear.

Oddly enough, that one ear with tinnitus has better high frequency hearing than my other. I can hear up to 17khz in that one, and like 15ish in the other.

8. Amberlamps
    Yeah, best to get that looked at.

Something that I’m not sure of is, is tinnitus always a side effect of hearing damage, or can people suffer from tinnitus without their hearing being damaged ?

9. schnesim
    Tinnitus doesn't have to be linked to hearing damage. I for one have multiple tinnitus in both ears caused by tight neck muscles which puts pressure on the hearing nerve and thus causes tinnitus.
    There are plenty of other reasons that cause tinnitus and are also not related to hearing damage.

Nik74 and Amberlamps like this.
  10. Trihexagonal
    I already posted about it last September but I've had tinnitus since 1987.

In all that time it has never left me one second of the day from the time I wake up till the time I drift off to sleep. It's least noticeable in the morning and gets louder the more tired I get. It never goes away but there are times I don't notice it, then there have been times I went to bed to get some relief and times I couldn't go to sleep because of it.

It's best described as a whistling/buzzing sound that sometimes is indistinguishable from the sound cicada make. I can never tell if it's really them during the summer or my ears making that sound.

I don't trip on it though. I decided early on I wasn't going to let it get the best of me and it hasn't. I listen to headphones while I use the computer and a good portion of the day when I'm not. It doesn't effect my ability to hear and I have excellent hearing. It does get louder sometimes if I listen to the headphones too loud, but I can tell when it is and it's never any worse than it was before by the next day.

I'm lucky in that it's of equal volume and sound in both ears. I've been to tinnitus forums where it tortures people to the point they can't stand it. I don't let it bother me and am listening to Tool through the headphones right now. :)

Amberlamps likes this.
  11. Amberlamps
    Thats along time to have / put up with it. You have probably done this already but, if you take any medications, have a look at the side effects or google x medicine and tinnitus or ringing in the ears. Maybe a medication is causing it ?

It’s good that you took the decision to not let it bother you, some folk let it rule and ruin their lives, I can only imagine what it must feel like to have tinnitus as bad as that.

12. Trihexagonal
    No, I'm not on any meds and have never taken anything for it. I've seen things advertised on TV and checked out products they've had for sale in stores, but if it's not going to take it away permanently it's not worth wasting my money on. I can live with it like it is and making it a little less noticeable by taking something I have to ingest daily for the rest of my life isn't going to be a game changer at this point.

I'm listening to Robin Trower through the a pair of Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium lightweight headphones now and it's as loud as the music , if not louder, but I can hear the music perfectly. It's just become a part of my life and isn't a burden on me.

I would not recommend it though.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  13. Amberlamps
    Sadly nothing will take it away unless it was a disease or illness that could be worked on. Even the hospital told me that. They offered me a noise generator to turn on before I goto sleep. I said no thanks.

Some ear or jaw / neck problems can all affect it, also allergies and medications, for me, I’ve learnt to live with.

Thank god I can’t hear it whilst watching tv or listening to music.

14. wink
    Tinnitus...?
    I can't hear you because I have this continual ringing in my ears........:triportsad:

[​IMG]...[​IMG]..[​IMG]..[​IMG]..

Amberlamps and Trihexagonal like this.
  15. Amberlamps
    16 yay votes, and 2 nay votes for Trump.

If we keep this trend up Trump will get another 4 years, yup, he wins even when he loses.

First

Back
3 4 5
Next

Last