Tinitus and IEM's
Sep 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

krismusic

Headphoneus Supremus
I have had very mild tinitus for years. Combination of loud gigs and using machinery without ear protection. I don't know if I have just become more conscious of it since using IEM's but the tinitus seems to be getting more noticable. I listen to my music quite low as I am aware of the problem, is it possible that IEM's are agravating a pre existing condition?
frown.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 12
same here.

tinitus will be much more prominent if you listen to it. like with all sensual input the brain will "fade" it out input that is there for a while, unchanged . but if you concentrate
on it, this fading does not work anymore.

my theorie is, as i listen to the quiet music, i listen to my tinitus, too.

i dont think my tinitus is getting worse from the iem, as i dont have (more) problems when in bed at night with my ear-wax plugged in.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 12
Tinnitus is often masked by external sounds. Since IEMs isolate you from those sounds, you will likely hear it more especially during quiet passages of your music. It's just like wearing earplugs and listening to nothing, you'll hear the ringing more (I do). IEMs are essentially earplugs that play music.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 12
With some IEM's mine gets horrible. With the JH13's and the HD650 it goes away! I think it isn't only the sound vibrations but the frequency and how the monitors project this. I had it acting up to the point it was very distracting and a couple of years ago I discovered my HD650's would actually get rid of it and the JH13's also get rid of most of it, if it is acting up. The V moda make it much worse.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 12
There's only one thing that can cause your tinnitis to get worse - excessive decibels. Any IEM, earbud, headphone, or speaker can be played too loudly.

But I think IEMs are ideal for people with tinnitis because they offer so much isolation. If you can't hear the outside world, there's no need to turn up the volume to compete with it.

I like to plug in my IEMs and wait for my ears to adjust to the silence - like allowing your eyes to get used to the dark. It only takes a minute or so. You'll then be amazed just how low you can set the volume and still enjoy the music.

Mike

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 12
I also have tinnitus and it can be very destracting when listening to IEMs.I listen to my iems at very low volumes 3-4 out of 20 on my zune and when listening to music with only vocals and acoustic guitars,I can hear the ringing.I tries everything including washing my ears frequently with water,putting eardrops,nose drops and I am now not listening to music for about 3 days and still counting to tame the ringing a bit.but I read that there is no cure for it and it can just fade away.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant that my tinitus seems to increase after listening to my IEM's not during.
regular_smile .gif

Then that is your ears telling you to turn the volume down.

IEMs can be safer than regular headphones because they exclude outside sounds and allow you to listen at lower volumes.

They can also be more dangerous than regular headphones because you can turn it up too high and have them blasting right into your ear canal.

The phenomenon I (and others) have described of being able to hear your tinnitus more when wearing IEMs is because of the attenuation of outside noise, which often masks tinnitus in sufferers.

If you're hearing more tinnitus after using your IEMs, you are listening to your music too loudly. There is nothing that I am aware of that would cause your tinnitus to worsen just because you're using an IEM vs. regular headphones (i.e. nothing inherent in IEMs that cause tinnitus if you're listening at the same volume levels as regular headphones that aren't causing you tinnitus).

Do you find yourself turning down the volume on your source when you use your IEMs? I find I listen at half the volume on my iPod and iPhone when using my IEMs vs. my Grado SR60 (which are very efficient). I listen at like 1/3 the volume for when I use my DT880s.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 12
^^sorry for derailing the thread,but can your DT880 be easily driven from your ipod without an amp.i am considering them(not the 250 ohms version obviously)and would like to know.sorry again guys for derailing the thread,my apologizes.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 12
No. I have the previous model to the ones that are available now. And can they be driven? Yes. Easily (and well)? No. Not by an iPod.

Haven't had any experience with the new DT880s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back