Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #811 of 1,427
That much power??!

So I guess the Sony NW-WM1A is out of the question then? The power output from the 4.4mm balanced port is 250mW+250mW at 16 ohms. So, that DAP connt drive them at all?

It will drive them fine. I'm getting solid results from the SE output on the Cayin N5ii on low gain. That output is less than 200mw. I've run them on the xCAN with over 600mw on tap, and while they did achieve better dynamics, they weren't NOT WORTH LISTENING TO on the Cayin. Your NW-WM1A will drive them fine from its balanced output.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #812 of 1,427
It will drive them fine. I'm getting solid results from the SE output on the Cayin N5ii on low gain. That output is less than 200mw. I've run them on the xCAN with over 600mw on tap, and while they did achieve better dynamics, they weren't NOT WORTH LISTENING TO on the Cayin. Your NW-WM1A will drive them fine from its balanced output.

Thanks! I’ll guess I find out soon enough.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #813 of 1,427
This combination really brings the BEST out of Tin Hifi P1 the planar.

When you turn the bass boost on on fiio the lack of bass does not exists at all on P1! It really comes alive. The problem though. It’s drawing A LOT of power from the AP80. I only played a few songs for 20 min and there’s only 72% left on the AP80! I’m sure it’s not the fiio because it didn’t lose much power. I should post this on AP80 thread as well

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #814 of 1,427

When you turn the bass boost on on fiio the lack of bass does not exists at all on P1! It really comes alive. The problem though. It’s drawing A LOT of power from the AP80. I only played a few songs for 20 min and there’s only 72% left on the AP80! I’m sure it’s not the fiio because it didn’t lose much power. I should post this on AP80 thread as well

Wack, what is happening is that your AP80 is back-charging your Q5. Root of the problem is at your OTG cable. You need an OTG cable without power wire built in. The one I bought from Ali was a few years ago and item is no longer for sale, hence I'm not able to provide you with a link, I'm sorry. Search "Fiio OTG cable" on Amazon/Ali and you can find plenty BUT you need to confirm with the seller that the cable will not back charge your DAC before purchasing.

BTW, Q5 bass boost only bring P1's bass to neutral. If you want anything more, you need EQ. I use E1DA PDV2 DAC which has a pEQ companion app to let me bring the bass to brain vibrating level, if I want to.
I also have Q5 and I think E1DA PDV2 > Fiio Q5 for P1.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #816 of 1,427

There is no backcharge with FiiO ML06 cable. Also I disabled USB charge in FiiO app.
Bass is everyone's personal preference. I tried bass boost on my FiiO Q5s and in my view it muddles the bass and affects negatively the pristine sound of P1. Anyway if I want fat bass I just listen to my 1060c.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #817 of 1,427
There is no backcharge with FiiO ML06 cable. Also I disabled USB charge in FiiO app.
Bass is everyone's personal preference. I tried bass boost on my FiiO Q5s and in my view it muddles the bass and affects negatively the pristine sound of P1. Anyway if I want fat bass I just listen to my 1060c.

Wackoip and I are having Q5, not Q5s. We can't disable back charging in the Bluetooth control app. Some users in Q5s thread reported with standard OTG cables, even with back charging disabled in app, back-charging still occurs.

Yes @wackoip you can try official Fiio OTG cable model CL06. When I got into this OTG game there wasn't any official cables available and Ali and Amazon blind purchases was a hit-or-miss situation. I feel old

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #818 of 1,427
HURRAH, finally got mi P1 set.

What a great way to initiate into the Planar world.
These tiny things really need power!!
Just out of curiosity I began by using my Huawei smartphone and was just awful. Then switched to Cayin N3 as a transport feeding my oldie Ibasso D4 DAC/amp, and bang!! Beautiful crystalline sound…

The P1 I got already had about 50 hours of previous use, and right off the bat they sound fantastic!! I am astonished by the incredibly clear, transparent, balanced and highly resolved sound I am getting.
Whatever music genre I have thrown at them sound great (prog-rock, jazz, world, ethnic; etc).

Finding the proper fit has been quite a challenge though most foam tips I´ve tried seal real well, but the top end is tamed and loose sparkle and air.
On the other hand, with the silicone tips I have, I keep losing seal on my left ear.
I had high hopes on Final Audio E tips, which usually work fine on all my other IEM, but no luck this time.
Finally, I tried a double-flanged tip (actually an originally triple-flange where the top flange was cut off) I had left forgotten in my drawer and surprise! They provide a tight seal, providing a smooth, detailed, airy and open sound)

About the bass, is there, textured, detailed, rolling in the background without calling attention to itself.
Soundstage? Nah, with the fantastic instrument separation and pinpoint location, I forgive P1 not having a wide soundstage. It feels like having a studio in my head.
Cons? They have ruined my enjoinment of Periodic Audio Be, my most recent acquisition. And off they go for sale.

Next step, getting some other eartips recommended in this thread, maybe some Spiral dots? And waiting for my Topping Nx4 DSD amp to pair with Cayin N3.
I think with P1 I found my perfect IEM for sleeping time.
I am liking so much the planar sound that I am already planning to get the Obravo Cupid, for outdoor use.

My thanks to @jonparker, @fericske, @AudioObsession, and all P1´s fans, whose comments/impressions help me out on this fantastic discovery.
I still can´t believe the level of performance I am getting with the $125 I paid for my P1s.
Cheers, Jose

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #819 of 1,427
HURRAH, finally got mi P1 set.

What a great way to initiate into the Planar world.
These tiny things really need power!!
Just out of curiosity I began by using my Huawei smartphone and was just awful. Then switched to Cayin N3 as a transport feeding my oldie Ibasso D4 DAC/amp, and bang!! Beautiful crystalline sound…

The P1 I got already had about 50 hours of previous use, and right off the bat they sound fantastic!! I am astonished by the incredibly clear, transparent, balanced and highly resolved sound I am getting.
Whatever music genre I have thrown at them sound great (prog-rock, jazz, world, ethnic; etc).

Finding the proper fit has been quite a challenge though most foam tips I´ve tried seal real well, but the top end is tamed and loose sparkle and air.
On the other hand, with the silicone tips I have, I keep losing seal on my left ear.
I had high hopes on Final Audio E tips, which usually work fine on all my other IEM, but no luck this time.
Finally, I tried a double-flanged tip (actually an originally triple-flange where the top flange was cut off) I had left forgotten in my drawer and surprise! They provide a tight seal, providing a smooth, detailed, airy and open sound)

About the bass, is there, textured, detailed, rolling in the background without calling attention to itself.
Soundstage? Nah, with the fantastic instrument separation and pinpoint location, I forgive P1 not having a wide soundstage. It feels like having a studio in my head.
Cons? They have ruined my enjoinment of Periodic Audio Be, my most recent acquisition. And off they go for sale.

Next step, getting some other eartips recommended in this thread, maybe some Spiral dots? And waiting for my Topping Nx4 DSD amp to pair with Cayin N3.
I think with P1 I found my perfect IEM for sleeping time.
I am liking so much the planar sound that I am already planning to get the Obravo Cupid, for outdoor use.

My thanks to @jonparker, @fericske, @AudioObsession, and all P1´s fans, whose comments/impressions help me out on this fantastic discovery.
I still can´t believe the level of performance I am getting with the $125 I paid for my P1s.
Cheers, Jose
It's nice that you forgive P1 for not having wide soundstage because P1 are IEMs and IEMs don't have any soundstage.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #821 of 1,427
Wackoip and I are having Q5, not Q5s. We can't disable back charging in the Bluetooth control app. Some users in Q5s thread reported with standard OTG cables, even with back charging disabled in app, back-charging still occurs.

Yes @wackoip you can try official Fiio OTG cable model CL06. When I got into this OTG game there wasn't any official cables available and Ali and Amazon blind purchases was a hit-or-miss situation. I feel old
I AM using Q5s Tyson. And now going to fiio to get that cable. This back charging thing is quite a pain .......

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #822 of 1,427
I really love my P1, it is getting more usage than my Noble K10 universals. (not from drop, and not encore ).

They seem more similar in usage scenarios.

My Se 5way is a less fun reference sound.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #823 of 1,427
I really love my P1, it is getting more usage than my Noble K10 universals. (not from drop, and not encore ).

They seem more similar in usage scenarios.

My Se 5way is a less fun reference

I'm enjoying my P1s and I am also happy that I jumped on the hype train on these. very good set for the money (my opinion) and one of my better 2019 audio purchases

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #824 of 1,427
But my thoughts so far:
These are excellent but not without flaws. If there's sibilance in a mix, it WILL be audible. These do not forgive. However, they don't disappoint on planar speed and detail retrieval. They do need power to reach full potential, but I'm still running low gain on the Cayin N5ii between 55-75/100 depending on the track (Kanas Pro runs about 20 steps lower for the same listening volume). I've run them on the xCAN and the XRK NHB Pocket Class A, but not the ES100 yet. Also need to run them balanced. But after that I'll put something together.
Hi @MyPants, which eartips are those on your P1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back