Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Sep 9, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #796 of 1,427
so far im loving the tinhifi P1 , im using hiby R3 --> smsl sap11 portable amplifier and using large jvc spiral dot - i believe the amplifier is a must as it does not sound engaging when standalone hiby r3 or zishan dsd pro are used . but with the amplifier - its awesome .

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #798 of 1,427
I feel like the P1 opens up more with a more powerful source or amp. I also have switched tips again and started using Auvio wide bores stuffed with 3M earplug foam a la symbio style. I tried KZ starline tips with foam and I felt like it sucked out too much of the top end. With the stuffed Auvios, I feel like the bass is now present when it needs to be but just enough. And the wide bore keeps the treble tingly and well detailed. I just wish the mids like male voices had a touch more body to them. I've also ordered a balanced cable and a balanced adapter to try them with my Nano BL (3.5mm balanced input) to see if it makes a difference. This will be my first time trying out balanced mode.

J0lWHyE.png

Listening to this with the P1 right now and it's buttery smooth.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #799 of 1,427
Totally recommends this magic box to pair with P1: E1DA PDV2 with ESS Sabre 9038 DAC chip. $64.

More than enough juice to power P1 and it comes with a pEQ companion app called HPtoy. It has an EQ preset to bring PA to Harman target and you can tune it to your liking from there on.

People are saying P1 is clear. P1 + PDV2 gives your CLEEAAR.

People are saying P1 has light bass. With pEQ this little thing can give out so much clean fast bass, can even cause bass headache to the most severe basshead.

IMG_20190911_015101.jpg

ED1A PDV2
Pros:
1. Small size with big power (users reported they pair well with HD800s!?!?)
2. HPtoy companion app to change pEQ on-the-fly.

Cons:
1. 2.5mm BAL out only.
2. Need a Y split for more power if used with Android/iOS.
3. Gets hot, like 108℉ -ish hot.
4. No Amazon store, just Aliexpress

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #800 of 1,427
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #801 of 1,427
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-e1da-9038s-bal-portable-dac-amp.8424/

Just seen there is a more portable version coming soon (E1DA 9038S), but with only 4 volts (37 milliwatts), will this be enough juice for the p1

E1DA 9038S is also currently available, but current generation most likely needs to be powered by external source (power bank/mobile charger) by a Y split cable if you plug into mobile device. There is a Gen2 in the works which will work with a single type C to type C cable (hopefully) and will be released in a couple of week's time.

9038D is the next upcoming model. It will be in the same form factor as 9038S, but with 3.5mm SE out.

With the more compact form factor you lose the ability to have the companion app HPtoy to be connected to the DAC. I plan to purchase 9038S gen2 to pair with P1 as on-the-go solution and will report back how do they pair.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #803 of 1,427
I've been testing these since Monday, and I think I'm going to do my review as a video, see if there's any space for another hack reviewer in the mix. I want to do a few videos on basic headphone science topics as well like impedance matching/damping factor and current vs. voltage requirements as they relate to headphone impedance, sensitivity, and driver type.

But my thoughts so far:
These are excellent but not without flaws. If there's sibilance in a mix, it WILL be audible. These do not forgive. However, they don't disappoint on planar speed and detail retrieval. They do need power to reach full potential, but I'm still running low gain on the Cayin N5ii between 55-75/100 depending on the track (Kanas Pro runs about 20 steps lower for the same listening volume). I've run them on the xCAN and the XRK NHB Pocket Class A, but not the ES100 yet. Also need to run them balanced. But after that I'll put something together.

IMG_20190909_121419.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #804 of 1,427
I've been testing these since Monday, and I think I'm going to do my review as a video, see if there's any space for another hack reviewer in the mix. I want to do a few videos on basic headphone science topics as well like impedance matching/damping factor and current vs. voltage requirements as they relate to headphone impedance, sensitivity, and driver type.

But my thoughts so far:
These are excellent but not without flaws. If there's sibilance in a mix, it WILL be audible. These do not forgive. However, they don't disappoint on planar speed and detail retrieval. They do need power to reach full potential, but I'm still running low gain on the Cayin N5ii between 55-75/100 depending on the track (Kanas Pro runs about 20 steps lower for the same listening volume). I've run them on the xCAN and the XRK NHB Pocket Class A, but not the ES100 yet. Also need to run them balanced. But after that I'll put something together.

It would be nice to see some basic headphone science videos here.
I suppose most people will listen to P1 on SE which is unfortunate because P1 really shine on balanced output. It would be interesting to see your comparison.

Sep 15, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #805 of 1,427
Sep 15, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #807 of 1,427
which cable is that?
Yup it's the stock cable. I will however be doing my balanced testing on an ALO Audio pure silver litz cable (the Atlas cable).

Condensor mic, gimbal, and tripod will be here on Tuesday, so I hope to start shooting content this week.

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #808 of 1,427
you all act like you never seen spam before.... :L3000:

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #809 of 1,427
My Tin Hifi P1 from my HiBy R6 Pro 4.4m balanced output sound amazing. Using the Tripowen C8 cable suggested in the product page checkout.

A lot of separation and good mids. Non fatiguing highs. Bass is not lacking just flat, it needs to be EQ'd up for a funner sound and it does not muddle into anything. Soundstage is like studio, not like out in a stage.

I tried medical taping the port holes to influence bass. The midbass and male voices did get pushed forward. But all the separation and staging pros that are characteristic to planar were lost.

Absolutely do not mod the holes and only EQ these. My opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #810 of 1,427
Alright, quick impressions time after 1 day listening time:

Fit:
Quite difficult to get a good, deep seal, but I managed to figure it out. I use the smaller comply tips and put them in deep and then rotate a bit to get a good fit. Also requires some readjustment from time to time, so they are not easy to put in quickly.

Sound:
I'm really digging the sound signature on these, everything is in its right place. Nice and flat throughout the frequency range, but not a boring neutral sound at all. Overall very lively and energetic.

Nice treble sparkle and extension, but not too much and absolutely no sibilance, unless it's a **** recording. Mids are amazing. Lower and upper are so well balanced that nothing gets too hot and you're not missing any type of vocals, male or female. Bass is nice and flat, mid-bass hits pretty decent, but no slam, although I did do the front vent tape mod. It's true that the end of the sub-bass is rolled off, but it's not missing much. If the recording has lots of sub-bass you will hear it and if it does not you will get the right amount.

On soundstage and separation, they are definitely sub-par. Nowhere near the level of a multi-BA or hybrid setup in this regard. Speed is ridiculous and is the real selling point, along with the fantastic sound signature (for my preferences).

Power:
This is where things get interesting. You need lots of power and current to drive these. Like it's no joke, these things are real thirsty. Initially, I was listening in balanced mode on my Opus #1s (high gain) with an output of ~360mW into 32ohms or 3.4Vrms no load. That was not enough power and I had to get near the end of the volume pot, which I've only had to do with my ATH-R70x (470ohm).

I then pulled out an older single ended amp with an output of ~700 mW into 32ohms and was finally able to get enough power and headroom to listen comfortably. Only with this much power was I able to get the full sound of the P1. Sources with not enough power make them sound quite poor. I'd recommend you have a source with a power output of at least 500mW into 32ohms.

Value:
For me these are a no-brainer at $150 for which I got them. Hits a lot of points I look for in the sound signature, speed, comfort, etc. Portability may be limited due to ridiculous power requirement, but I will be happy to use these as my daily drivers. I'm not trying to get into any chifi debates here, but honestly if I had spent $300 on these I would be just as satisfied.

That much power??!

So I guess the Sony NW-WM1A is out of the question then? The power output from the 4.4mm balanced port is 250mW+250mW at 16 ohms. So, that DAP connt drive them at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back