Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Aug 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #736 of 1,427
Well, this was a surprise, my old battery powered AskewLabs Cmoy bb amp and Shanling M1 play nice with the P1. Only got volume at 45% :)

2507F23D-9087-4EBB-9977-73DCDA7B7BE3.jpeg

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #737 of 1,427
I own both, but to me it is an apples and oranges comparison. Over ear open back vs in ear doesn’t directly compare.

I will say with the right amp and good eq they both sound better than without

do they complement each other? What about bass though?

Typically i run my 400I's out of my little dot i+ or the balanced connection from my DX120 which is 400 mW @ 32 ohms. I feel the DX120 is a good amount of power for the 400i's and nothing is lacking compared to the little dot. I just prefer the warmer tube sound from the LD i+... Out of a cell phone they sound like crap of course.

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #738 of 1,427

Typically i run my 400I's out of my little dot i+ or the balanced connection from my DX120 which is 400 mW @ 32 ohms. I feel the DX120 is a good amount of power for the 400i's and nothing is lacking compared to the little dot. I just prefer the warmer tube sound from the LD i+... Out of a cell phone they sound like crap of course.

I currently run both out of a PowerDAC v2 (with tweaked to my hearing eq) and I enjoy both equally, although it is recording and music style dependent as to which I am listening to in the moment

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #739 of 1,427
Has anyone here used both the Radone ES100 AND the iFi xCan to drive the P1s?
If so, do they benefit from the increased power available form the iFi?

I know that in theory they should but please only answer if you've actually tried both devices to drive them and can compare.
I'm thinking of selling my desktop amp to buy an xCan
Thanks

I have similar question...actually I use the RWAK100 ( ak100 modified by winnie ) to reach less than one ohm of output impedance , using with Westone 4 .
Is a very very good sound...
The RWAK100 can drive properly the P1 ?

Paolo

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #740 of 1,427

Imo treat and power the P1 just like full sized hp... My desktop amp has slight hiss for sensitive iem but powering P1, dead silent...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #741 of 1,427
the nozzle design sucks. metal is so slippery and this alone limits the tips that you will be able to use with it :p
PLUS people with smaller ear canals will have tougher chance on finding the right tips due to the diameter of the nozzle - it's FAT!
I tried most of my extra tips and found only 2 or 3 pairs that would nicely fit the nozzle and my ears.
yEoB4WqnSJig2eDvDleJ_Tin-Audio-P1-IEM---Drop-Debut-MD-8739138452.jpg

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #742 of 1,427
the nozzle design sucks. metal is so slippery and this alone limits the tips that you will be able to use with it :p
PLUS people with smaller ear canals will have tougher chance on finding the right tips due to the diameter of the nozzle - it's FAT!
I tried most of my extra tips and found only 2 or 3 pairs that would nicely fit the nozzle and my ears.
yEoB4WqnSJig2eDvDleJ_Tin-Audio-P1-IEM---Drop-Debut-MD-8739138452.jpg
Yeah you need tips with a slightly wider bore, but any tip that can get around the nozzle you can push it past the ridge for a much more secure fit. I also think they sound better the closer to your eardrum, bass is definitely improved. Not sure why they felt the best fit/sound was to keep the nozzle as far from your eardrum as possible.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #743 of 1,427
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #745 of 1,427
the timbre! <3 <3 <3

@CharlieNorwood, the ridge is not secured if the tip bore has no 'anchor' whatsoever... it's so smooth and slippery! :p Will check blues today.

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #747 of 1,427
P1s showed up today. I haven't had much listening time with them yet but a couple of things I noticed. These seem to be extremely sensitive to fit. All iems are sensitive to fit of course but these it seems the tiniest little change in positioning (not enough to cause a poor seal) and wow the sound changes wildly. Maybe because of the short stem and wide nozzle? I don't know.

The stock tips make it hard for me to get a good seal. I've settled on the larger foam ones which normally I don't care for. I'll order some new ones to try. Another thing is the cable with 3 different braids in it is odd. I get that it saves money but that lower braid is pretty darn loose. The little leather case is a nice addition. The bodies of these are very small. They look bigger in pictures.

There's a LOT to like about the sound for $150. What's funny is that after listening to them for a little while I purposely put on a couple of tracks that have some uncomfortable harsh highs that border sibilant on some other headphones and iems that I own. I would have bet anything that these would be harsh as any if not worse...but....surprise surprise...they came through with flying colors. They did get close to that point (most things will) but were never annoying. The sub bass is a bit lacking. I plugged them into a topping nx4 and turned bass boost on just to see. They are capable of putting out a bit of bass but definitely not a basshead iem by any measure. They do require some power. I had the nx4 on high gain and the volume at 11:00 to get some high volume and the nx4 is a little powerhouse of an amp.

So far so good. Really liking them overall at this point. Hopefully I'll like them even more with different tips. I will try a few other amps over the next few days too. I'm really impressed that these are this good at this price point. Crazy.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #749 of 1,427
I've had the P1 for a couple days now. It's early, but I'm super impressed with the clarity, imaging and detail. I'm still figuring out tips, but I've tried a couple that were pretty good, so I'm hopeful.

I can confirm that a ES100 will drive the P1. I'm using it balanced with 2x voltage and it's as loud as anyone should need well before max. I was worried because on my desk rig at work, I had a Magni 3 on high gain between 9 and noon.

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #750 of 1,427
Just received the P1. I noticed some clicking sounds on the right earpiece (also on the left one, but far less frequent) when listening to certain songs.... Should I be worried?

False alarm, turned out to be the songs.

Edit: Using LG V30 + Fiio E11 for now, as my Topping DX3 has yet to arrive. The E11 drives it just fine, didn't even need to go to high gain.

Also, small detail but... weren't the insides of the box grey as opposed to black? The box I have was about to fall apart when it arrived. Very badly put together.

WbwQPvHw.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back