Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Jun 24, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #91 of 1,427
It’s hard for me to believe that another planar iem won’t come out at half the price and be just as good (wishful thinking). The planar tech is not above and beyond, and if anything is probably easier to produce than a BA iem. One chamber, one flat disc. The lowly **** has a planar disc in it ($20) and sounds great (not directly comparing of course). I don’t see the jump in price as a good thing, or necessary thing in terms of advancement. You could get a Fostex T50 for that price, so there’s the conundrum. Support (what I consider) overpricing or just wait for the next guy who will use the same (not proprietary) tech and make it better and cheaper. Says the frugal and skeptical audiophile...

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #93 of 1,427
The Final Type E are definitely a very versatile tip - a go to for sure.

They have a very good shape/fit for my ears (rounder than most). However, I find they ‘congest’ the mid-high response a little bit so the tip I keep going back to is a Spiral Dot + Foam mod, although that leans the lows way too much sometimes.. and never been able to fit plain foam. (Comply Round XL suggestions anyone?)

So IEM/fit dependent, happy rolling! (I don’t know why tip rolling is not a bigger topic as a $5 piece of silicon can make a bigger impact than a $1000 cable :p)
That was one of the first things when i startet this hobby i get all kinds of tips

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #95 of 1,427
It’s hard for me to believe that another planar iem won’t come out at half the price and be just as good (wishful thinking). The planar tech is not above and beyond, and if anything is probably easier to produce than a BA iem. One chamber, one flat disc. The lowly **** has a planar disc in it ($20) and sounds great (not directly comparing of course). I don’t see the jump in price as a good thing, or necessary thing in terms of advancement. You could get a Fostex T50 for that price, so there’s the conundrum. Support (what I consider) overpricing or just wait for the next guy who will use the same (not proprietary) tech and make it better and cheaper. Says the frugal and skeptical audiophile...

"planar tech is not above and beyond"

It's more, there's implementation, tuning, materials, etc. and other factors. Toneking BL1 cost more but are not better. Same tech but implemented incorrectly. Fail.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #96 of 1,427
Expectations, expectations.
Remember this is a $150 earphone, and no, not a giant killer, as there really are few giant killers in this hobby.
That said, looking forward to the pair I ordered to see how they shine, keeping in mind that they are not perfect, as their price point implies.

Stay away from the hype and you may find an imperfect diamond in the rough.
Looking forward to reading your take on it. Good luck, hopefully it's a nice addition to your collection :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #98 of 1,427
As true as that is on paper, you won't know unless you

Want to know something scary? I have more tips than that! :astonished:

I have more elsewhere, but man, you must have spent a good fortune on tips then. I know how much I've spent. haha.

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #99 of 1,427
Just out of interest, did you buy the Aiva based on Z's review and does it live up to his glowing review?
I did! And they almost lived up to his review for me. Definitely worth their asking price. I love them but I like my IER-M9 more.

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #100 of 1,427
I did! And they almost lived up to his review for me. Definitely worth their asking price. I love them but I like my IER-M9 more.
Ah, the m9 is at quite a good price in Australia at the moment. I'm considering it. I think I prefer them over the Andromeda. So I assume you think it's worth the purchase?
Sorry about risking derailing the thread.

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #101 of 1,427

Watched the Zeos review. Bit manic for me. To give the Bad Boy credit he admits that he has OCD. You really have two reviewers who get a bit over the top. Lets wait for some of the reviews of ordinary punters.
I guess https://www.audiophileon.com/news/tin-hifi-p1-review is not an "ordinary punter"? I thought that review was excellent. I find "ordinary punters" out there already.

Or https://crinacle.com/2019/06/21/tin-hifi-p1-unboxing/ ??

Or https://www.antdroid.net/2019/06/tin-hifi-p1-planar-iem-extended.html ??

Or https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/06/review-tin-hifi-p1/ ??
I have more elsewhere, but man, you must have spent a good fortune on tips then. I know how much I've spent. haha.

Yes!

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #102 of 1,427
Sure cost of production, competition and brand recognition / what margins you can take is one thing.

However can it not also be a case of there being a cost to start making these and that and production and such they want covered and it's hard to know how many will sell or at what price so they have to put it somewhere and settled for $150 which if they get 2000 of pre-orders maybe they didn't needed but they didn't know how many they would get.

I don't know how low the others have sold before or how often or how soon. Before I imagined if there was something too soon improve they would release a P2 or Pro or ... but now I've seen that the T1, T2 and T3 doesn't use the same driver setup so then I become less sure about whatever they would tweak one with the same driver. Then again they could of course do planar + BA or dynamic or whatever as the one you listed for another one.
"planar tech is not above and beyond"

It's more, there's implementation, tuning, materials, etc. and other factors. Toneking BL1 cost more but are not better. Same tech but implemented incorrectly. Fail.
But considering it seem like BGGR guy kinda meant they couldn't sell the first one because of measurement and they fixed that don't that make you wonder how good they are at it considering they had missed that? Also in a week how much can be done? I have no idea what was done but clearly it went fast.

Off-topic: I don't know if I should buy these or not. One store sold the A1M2 cheap and I liked their sound without anything to compare with. I listened to M60X vs DT770 vs HD 660S vs HPH-MT8 using my phone and I prefer MT 8 over M60X vs DT770 as far as sound quality goes there however I wanted to use it outdoor for walking and such and felt the M60X win in size and ear warming vs MT 8 I guess. The 660S sounded very nice but for other use case. I've had the DT990 at home and liked them for orientation in Overwatch but played them much too loud and the treble and bass was killing me and I had lots of ringing in my ears then. The later was because of the volume but while I liked how cleared they sounded and positioning in the game I didn't liked how little of male voices I could hear (as I'm used to the Alessandro MS-1 for comparision.) Saw the Moondrop Kansas Pro was liked too (and I've seen the T2 review) and that seem like it may be a safer "good IEM" whereas this may more of a "special sound IEM." I don't know if I should have IEM even but maybe it's a better choice for outdoor use than A1M2/M60X/MT8 or such? I don't know.
If there was no discount I wouldn't order but wait but since there is .. then again I know the old ones sell below $50 nowadays.

Almost off-topic too: Anyway yeah as far as putting a speaker or whatever together just about anyone could slap a bunch of elements into a case and make some crossover and be done with it. Whatever that would be amazing and better than other speakers though ... If throwing the element into whatever case for it with a hole to your ear was all what was needed why would the end results differ :)
I also have no idea how IEMs vs over-ears vs speakers do as far as neutrality between them. It would to me seem like much harder to fit a 10 mm thing in some other small thing and make it function well than much bigger things in normal speakers. I have the impression frequency curves are flatter for speakers then again they are placed in a room and you may not be in the same place in that room and that will screw it up, on the other hand I have no idea how much differences in people´s ears change things either. Also it seem like you quickly become used to what you listen to and it kinda become more "normal" automatically. Also in the case of technical performance / speed and control of the membrane vs frequency response I'd you could be more forgiving for the later than the former as far as EQ goes. Then again I've seen the amps have transient response settings too. Personally I have no dedicated amp whatsoever. I have a B450-F motherboard, had a Denon AVR-1801 but it doesn't work and have a Galaxy S5 but I've broken the headphone output on it. Guess I'll get something from Xiaomi, RealMe or so soonish. Wanted LG G7 before but as updates aren't happening ...

Would bass improve with larger driver? If they did so for a "P2"? Or is it more likely that they mix stuff to try to improve it? I could wait, I don't even have a phone, then again now is summer and perfect time to go out for walks and be outside, then again I always have a gym membership and I have a cat who want to go out so I don't need to go on walks and listen to audiobooks (and even if I did I have some Sony brass IEMs and some AKGs from Samsung phones too.)

A decent speaker would unlikely measure like this: https://cdn.shortpixel.ai/client/q_...s/2019/06/Tin-Hifi-P1-frequency-response.webp

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #103 of 1,427
Still a fan of the MDxMEEAudio Planamic >.>; Depsite the below average reviews.

Too bad no local places to test the P1, even after launch. I’ll just wait for @crinacle ’s public review.

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #104 of 1,427
Anyone that’s heard the P1 spent any time with the other planar iem’s like Audeze’s or the RHA?

I have the iSine 10 (copped on the recent deal so they are they were the same price as the p1) and although they aren’t perfect, I like them a lot and they sound like no iem I’ve ever heard before - which is what I’m seeing in the early reviews for the p1. It’s actually too bad the p1 are mmcx and not 2-pin as it would be great to hear them with them the audeze cipher cable.

Anyway, just curious if anyone can make a comparison - if not I will whenever my p1 shows up.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #105 of 1,427
Ah, the m9 is at quite a good price in Australia at the moment. I'm considering it. I think I prefer them over the Andromeda. So I assume you think it's worth the purchase?
Sorry about risking derailing the thread.
Most people who have compared the 2 have liked the M9. At least from what I've seen. I paid $1200 for my M9 and if they got stolen tomorrow I'd order another pair same day. I believe the M9 goes toe to toe with the Solaris as well. I'd actually love to hear a Solaris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back