Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Aug 13, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #631 of 1,427
I used the P1 with the X7 Mk II balanced. It powers if well. As opposed to the he400i, X7 Mk. II simply does not have the juice to make it sing. I think the A3 can handle the P1. The mojo did not even flinch while powering the P1.

My X7 has no problems either :wink:

BE73AD4B-6E0F-4A13-86B8-AA5ACF01B6D7.jpeg

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #632 of 1,427
I'll shop around for a good cable. Don't want to go too cheap, a pure copper cable 4.4mm should do well.

Here’s some good ones:

I used the P1 with the X7 Mk II balanced. It powers if well. As opposed to the he400i, X7 Mk. II simply does not have the juice to make it sing. I think the A3 can handle the P1. The mojo did not even flinch while powering the P1.

That all make sense based on the power outputs of those two amps. Did you notice a difference in dynamics with the p1 between the A3 and mojo?

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #633 of 1,427
Here’s some good ones:

That all make sense based on the power outputs of those two amps. Did you notice a difference in dynamics with the p1 between the A3 and mojo?

Hi Charlie,

Yeah, it's a lot better with the mojo. Maybe because of the added power? It's more musical i think. It's sterile with the fiio. I'm using the stock module btw, am3a amp.

Tomorrow i'll hook it up to the desktop amp and see if its better.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #635 of 1,427
How does the p1 fair against the T800? Pardon if u already did a comparison before

I really like the P1, but I absolutely adore the T800!
The P1 needs absolutely loads of power to perform at its best 70%+ vol, whereas T800 needs about 25-30%.
P1 slightly medium size soundstage, T800 substantially larger soundstage.
P1 slightly lacking in sub-bass (eq solves this somewhat) mids nicely textured and treble detailed without any harshness. T800 textured and detailed all through the range, an absolute winner imho.

Just found this, hope it helps. https://www.audiophileon.com/news/tin-hifi-p1-review

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #636 of 1,427
The P1 needs absolutely loads of power to perform at its best 70%+ vol, whereas T800 needs about 25-30%.
P1 slightly lacking in sub-bass (eq solves this somewhat) mids nicely textured and treble detailed without any harshness. T800 textured and detailed all through the range, an absolute winner imho.
Just found this, hope it helps. https://www.audiophileon.com/news/tin-hifi-p1-review
Hi @capnjack, Just noticed in your IEM inventory you own both P1 and DM6. I just need a little push to convince me to get the P1, so maybe a comparison between them could help me a lot on my decision making.
Also, has any of P1´s owners tried Topping NX4 DSD powering the P1? would that DAP/amp suffice to provide enough power to P1?
TIA, Jose

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #637 of 1,427
Hi @capnjack, Just noticed in your IEM inventory you own both P1 and DM6. I just need a little push to convince me to get the P1, so maybe a comparison between them could help me a lot on my decision making.
Also, has any of P1´s owners tried Topping NX4 DSD powering the P1? would that DAP/amp suffice to provide enough power to P1?
TIA, Jose
I can’t say much more than I did previously, as I see the T800 as a dm6 ‘on steroids’ really (does what the dm6 did but better on every level imho). Classic 70s rock and acoustic stuff is where the P1 really excels for me -

As for the NX4, no idea about it I’m afraid.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #638 of 1,427

Thanks for the feedback! Shall skip the p1 then haha

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #639 of 1,427
TIA, Jose

I am pretty sure it does. My nx4 dsd drives my HE4XX with ease on low gain

Aug 14, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #640 of 1,427
Aug 14, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #642 of 1,427
Assuming sensitivity is at 1 V.
93 dB 35 ohm. (He400i)
1/35 = 28.57 mw for 93 dB.
95 dB 20 ohm (or 96 depending on which one to trust.) (P1)
1/20 = 50 mw for 95 dB.
I don't know my log, 2=10*log10(x/1) x = 1.5849?
28.57*1.5859 = 45.3 mW for 95 dB? (sqrt(0.0453*35) = 1.26 volt)
28.57*1.9953 = 57 mW for 96 dB. (sqrt(0.057*35) = 1.41 volt
The 50 mW for 95-96 dB @ 20 ohm grants sqrt(0.050*20) = 1 volt. (granted from sensitivity already =P, should always be *1.26 to get voltage for +2dB and *1.41 to get for +3dB then I guess?)

So seem power demands is just about the same but less voltage needed for the P1.

(And twice the power / +6 dB using differential outputs? But it varies with actual hardware?)
I wouldn’t, it’s a keeper imho
In the case of owning both if one really think one is sounded better then why? If one don't already own them there's a price difference of $130 so I can see how it make sense to pick either because of that.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #643 of 1,427
@capnjack, @islubio, thank you for the input.
Islubio, is P1 more to your liking than DM6?
Interested to know how P1 performs with progressive rock which is the genre I listen the most,
TIA , Jose

I don't listen to a ton of prog rock, but I just threw on Yes 50 Live in hi-res on Qobuz and it sounds sick.

(Source chain is 2017 Macbook Pro > Qobuz Hi-Res (24/44.1) > USB > iFi Micro iDSD Black Label (in turbo mode lmao) > 16 core pure copper (OFC) cable > p1

Aug 14, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #644 of 1,427
@capnjack, @islubio, thank you for the imput.
Islubio, is P1 more to your liking than DM6?
Interested to know how P1 performs with progressive rock which is the genre I listen the most,
TIA , Jose

Hi Jose,
As you well know, you and I have very similar tastes in music.
I have owned the P1 for 9 days (about 100 hrs. listening time) now, and I am shocked by how good it is.
It sounds amazing with all the natural textures, and dynamics associated with progressive rock.. I would imagine that if you gave a set to Neal Morse or any of the guys from Transatlantic, Flowerkings, etc etc. they would all fall in love with them and use them in their own studios.
Even the bassists would love them! lol!

I would put the P1 as an equal (but VERY different) to my Audiosense T800.
However, I feel it's almost a bad idea to compare the two because they are both just so different.
Truly an "apples/oranges" scenario here.
Both are very worth having though...

The T800 is like a high speed musical jack hammer (in a very good way), that seems to literally turn your eardrums into the actual speakers.
I love it, but admit it can be fatiguing after 6-8 hr sessions (almost anything would be though)

Where as the P1 is a super transparent device that seems to make your brain become the speakers.. (I can also handle 10+ hr listening sessions with the P1).

So, the T800 seems to become a living part of your ears, where as the P1 seems to turn your head into medium sized well tuned concert hall..
Crazy I know, but that's the best I can describe the differences between them.

The T800's bass is obviously more prominent than the P1's bass (quantity), but bass accuracy & clarity (all accuracy & clarity) goes to the P1.

This feels wrong of me to admit somehow, because the T800 is insanely clear, but the P1 seems to bypass your ears and goes directly to the brain.
It just seems to render music as it should be.
Almost as if it bypasses your eardrums.

The strange thing is, this was not instantly noticeable..
The first 1/2 hour or more, I just felt like:
"Wow! These sound like nice over ear, open back, headphones" but then after a few hours, they installed their tentacles into my brain and assumed control.
They are just weird like that, and possibly should be illegal...

Bass:
The P1 bass is just fine in a neutral sense.
Reminds me of how the bass is on high end near-feild type studio monitors.
The P1 is actually capable of playing really low 10hz sine waves.
It plays extremely lows sinewaves with no distortion at all.
However- these sub-bass ultra low frequencies are barely audible, so they need the full amp to even hear them.
Runing IMD sweep tests were flawless...Again; no distortion at all...
I did cause the lows to rattle with too much amp, so be careful with these types of tests.
The P1 bass range seems to become usable (no EQ) after 40hz and even more so at around 50hz

So if you feel the need for some deep P1 -BASS- it requires copious amounts of bass EQ.
The good news is, it seems to handle massive amounts of sub-bass EQ -IF- you have the tools to apply it.
So, to get that type of bass response, you need to remove at least -12db from your preamp, and then +12db of 20hz to 35hz and maybe +8db of 40hz +4db 50hz..
Then AMP the hell out of it (at least a 1 watt amp should be used).
I have a simple EQ preset that I use on Foobar2000 that does all this for me, and I just CRANK my Atom amp to make up for the loss in volume..
The Atom Amp is more then loud enough to make up for the -12db compensation though.
Seems like those that own the E1DA PowerDAC V2 with the accompanying EQ software could do this really well.

Mids:
Excellent mids.
I don't know what else to say here..
I do like the mids more than the T800.
They are very natural and highly detailed.
Mids don't have that "warm musical glow" to them like a Toneking T4 does, but the T4's mids can occasionally become slightly congested and are not as clear as the P1's mids.

Treble:
From what I can tell, it appears that the treble is too honest for most reviewers.
It seems to pull out weird flaws (even the smallest amounts of high end clipping) in recordings.
At times I wondered if it was a flaw as others have mentioned, or is it just something that no one has really heard from an earphone, so they don't know what else to call it?
I still need to run more tests, but the secret is to listen to some perfectly recorded solo instruments that have lots of high end.
I have some 24bit-192Khz Drum/Percussion solos that I use to test for all sorts of flaws in various sound monitors.
These recordings are of stellar quality, but nothing that the public would ever listen to because they're for OCD engineer/producer types.

With the P1: the super high trebles on triangle pings, ride cymbal bell fades, and/or gentle crash cymbal fades, slowly roll off without any strange transients and/or distortion.
The P1 reproduces a very accurate treble.
maybe too accurate for some?

However, treble flaws on full group (band, orchestera, etc) mixes can be detected with the P1.
That's the way I would judge the treble on the P1...
That's also why I believe there was some criticism on the Beyonce' mix with the P1.
Also, since I'm comparing the Tin P1 with the Audiosense:
The T800 has that sharp 2-4Khz ring to it, that the P1 does hot have.
However, I've completely removed that issue from the T800 via brown Knowles dampers, so to me the T800 -was- pretty harsh in comparison, but with filters it is corrected.

T800 treble is still not as clear as the P1 though..
I just don't believe my own words in saying this, but I have to admit that my P1 does accuracy and clarity better then my T800.
I don't get the P1's FR graphs either, because it's treble doesn't seem to match them.
One of the weird mysteries about the P1...

SoundStage:
In my 100+ hrs of use (my opinion might change in a month of course), the soundstage on the P1 is like a nice pair of openback over ears.

It's better sounding (in stage, tonality, and detail) than my Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, and that says a lot.
I would describe the P1 as the clearest sounding earphone (or any other monitor type, including my $5k Q12 monitors) that I have heard to date.

Okay, I don't mean to hype these because they are just $170 earphones after all, but I am so thrilled with this purchase, that I am willing to forgive the few things that I wish they had.

Some slight cons:
I LOVE their bass quality, but I do want MORE.
If they did bass quantity as well as my T800 I might actually die from too perfect of a sound.
I am also very happy with their very accurate soundstage, but I guess it would be cool if the stage was a bit more 3D Holographic (even though that wouldn't be as accurate)...
I just like the way an exaggerated soundstage makes me feel.
Like the ToneKing T4 can do.
The T4's stage is just crazy.

Where as the P1's Stage is very precise and realistic.
I would trust the P1's stage for critical mixing/engineering though.

Fit is slightly strange...
They don't hurt anywhere no matter how long I ware them, but they are so small that I need to push them in every once in a while.
Same with the Tin T2 I guess.
No big deal really.

I haven even removed the cable from the bag nor have I even opened any of the accessories.
So I can't comment on that..

I will say that, because the P1's fit can be a bit loose, I'd recommend using a 6 core (or less) lighter weight cable..

I mostly use an inexpensive 6 core copper balanced cable. Nothing special about it really.
I have not cable swapped enough to give any accurate reports, so I'll save that for later.

Okay, sorry about the TLDR here.. lol!
My advice is BUY IT!
It's well worth the $170.
Such a unique experience in an earphone that it should be added to your collection, even if you have already found your "EndGame" IEM.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #645 of 1,427
This isn't of course the thread to ask about how both the P1 and T800 compare to the ER4XR and Massdrop Plus =P.
ER4XR got just one balanced armature right? And T800 eight? Though really 2+4+2 so three different ones. Three in the Plus. It would kinda seem weird if the ER4XR one somehow happened to be able to do everything fine while the others can't so I guess that's what I have the hardest time to wrap my head around. If that one really sound good and isolate well then that seem very nice except the price is so very expensive. But I kinda want to understand why it's so expensive. And why it's so good if it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back