Tin Drilling?
Jun 13, 2004 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Malphas Wats

New Head-Fier
Hi, I finally managed to find an Altoids tin to put my new CMoy in and it's all in and working but the holes that I drilled came out very uneven with lots of burrs and it's all a bit wonky.

I was just wondering how you get a nice circular hole exactly where you want it for my next attempt!

Thanks
-Malphas

Jun 13, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 19
find a old hole-puncher, take apart the bottom "paper release peice" so the hole's exposed, punch from inside of the tin.

*remember to look away from the puncher or point away from your face while you puch*
tin.jpg

Jun 13, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 19
what switch are you using?
all my switches and jacks fit into holes punched from hole punchers,

for the pot, i just punch a hole and grind it to size with a dremel

Jun 13, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 19
Lord knows, I just ordered all the stuff listed on tangentsoft's website from RS Components, I'll just have to pay more attention to the size of stuff next time, and get me a hole punch and a dremel!

Thanks very much.
-Malphas

Jun 13, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 19
Use a piece of wood or something on the backside while you are drilling. It is difficult to drill in very thin metal as the bit will have a tendency to grab, especially when you are not using a drill press. I think higher speed would do better for the thin metal, not totally sure though as anything can go with a twist bit.
What usually happens is when the tip starts to break through the other side, the flutes dig in and end up bending or tearing the metal. Ideally, you would use hole punches on thin material.

Wonder how a step bit would do.
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/ps...tep+Drill+Bits [step or variable]
Expensive but should do nicely if you have a lot of drilling. Has anyone actually used these on tins? There is still the chance that they will not give a nice hole on such thin material.
There are sheet metal bits too but I'm not sure what the difference is from a regular bit.

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 19
ProfingerSk8er-
I did this, but used one of the el cheapo hole punchers i picked up at a grocery store for a couple bucks, and I ended up bending the grips! They're so close together that I can't get enough leverage to punch through the tin!

Did you use some sort of heavy duty hole puncher, or is my ginger altoids tin just exceptionally strong?

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
ProfingerSk8er-
I did this, but used one of the el cheapo hole punchers i picked up at a grocery store for a couple bucks, and I ended up bending the grips! They're so close together that I can't get enough leverage to punch through the tin!

Did you use some sort of heavy duty hole puncher, or is my ginger altoids tin just exceptionally strong?

If you have a craft store in your city, get one of the heavier-duty models from them. The el-cheapo punchers aren't really up to the task...but I guess you know that now
biggrin.gif

-Drew

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 19
yep, i sure do! I'm guessing that it will also take a little less punching effort with a heavier duty one?

Is there a particular size i should look for? the one I got punches 1/4" holes-- standard size. Well, it did until I killed it...

I also grabbed one at an office supply store for $2.49 that does 1/8" holes... might be good for smaller holes (i.e. LED lights, etc.). Or would those usually take 1/4" holes as well?

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 19
well..i guess mine counts as a el-chepo, it was $3 i think
tongue.gif

i have made over 60 amps, 5 holes each... and the puncher is works like new
biggrin.gif

1/8" is too big for LEDs unless you are using 5mm LEDs

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 19
I'll have to check a Lowe's or Home Depot or something for a better puncher.

Oh, and the CMoy that I'm going to transplant into a different case is one from eyevanscu, and the LED has a casing around it (hard to describe) but it looks to be the same size as the holes cut for the jacks...

Check out the one he has on Ebay in the chocolate Penguins tin and you'll see what I'm talking about..

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 19
oh, the LED holders..
yes they fit into 1/4" holes perfectly

[edit] just to be sure, let me check mouser's data sheet

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for verifying that for me. Any other tips with regard to punching the tin before I get started?

Kinda funny, I'm only making another tin enclosure to put an existing amp to put an already made amp into. I wonder if I could just buy the "guts" already assembled from a fellow head-fier and then just "tin" them up myself?

Jul 1, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
find a old hole-puncher, take apart the bottom "paper release peice" so the hole's exposed, punch from inside of the tin.

*remember to look away from the puncher or point away from your face while you puch*
tin.jpg

I use my teeth to punch holes in a Mint tin (pink tip) cheaper than a hole puncher
smily_headphones1.gif

Chomp Chomp Chomp Chomp............. you'll get there in the end :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back