Times in the US
Apr 4, 2009 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
Hey...
I've had a little question for some time now. Whenever I see commercials about series in the US it always has some weird time stamp.
I mean, for example, Lost is on Wednesdays 9/8c. What does it mean? My time zone is GMT +3 and I would like to know what time zone the 9 is and what time zone is the 8c.
Can someone please solve this mystery? :p
Thanks

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 26
There are 6 time zones in the US. Central time (c, 8:00) is for the midwest. We are one out back, Eastern time (9:00) is for the east (New York, Massachusetts, the like) Pacific time (6:00) is California, Washington state etc. Mountain time (7:00) is is for Colorado, Wyoming, etc. Alaska and Hawaii have their own time zones (5:00 and 3:00, respectively) and Arizona had no time zone.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I had a total brain lapse.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 26
I live on the east coast so use EST (Eastern Standard Time) which is -5 GMT

. . . . although we are currently on EDST (Eastern Daylight Savings Time) so our clocks were turned one hour ahead

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arizona had no time zone.

I thought they were on MST?

But no DST.

What?

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought they were on MST?

But no DST.

What?

Nvm, I checked. you were right.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nvm, I checked. you were right.

I only remembered because I was just in Tucson for a conference last weekend!
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey...
I've had a little question for some time now. Whenever I see commercials about series in the US it always has some weird time stamp.
I mean, for example, Lost is on Wednesdays 9/8c. What does it mean? My time zone is GMT +3 and I would like to know what time zone the 9 is and what time zone is the 8c.
Can someone please solve this mystery? :p
Thanks

Just to be a bit clearer than the posts above:

If they say Lost is on at 9/8c, they mean 9 o'clock EST, 8 o'clock CST (thus the 'c' in 9/8c stands for 'central', meaning North American Central Standard Time).

EST = UTC-5
CST = UTC-6

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 26
whats the reasoning for these timezones?, i mean i am interested historically as to when they were established and why, i had a look online but could find out why, just that they are as they are.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the reasoning for these timezones?, i mean i am interested historically as to when they were established and why, i had a look online but could find out why, just that they are as they are.

You mean why is there more than one time zone in the US?
I think that it's because there can't be any major differences in time. I mean it can't be that in NY it will be sunny in 10AM and in California it would still be night at 10AM.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Standard time in time zones was instituted in the U.S. and Canada by the railroads on 18 November 1883. Before then, time of day was a local matter, and most cities and towns used some form of local solar time, maintained by some well-known clock (for example, on a church steeple or in a jeweler's window). The new standard time system was not immediately embraced by all, however....

U.S. Time Zones

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 26
well historically every where just had local time as noon being when the sun was highest in the sky and that was fine as no one could go anywhere very fast so it didnt matter if it was a different time slightly in a town 100 miles away as it would take you a day plus to get there. the advent of trains mean it made a lot fo sense for there do be one set time for everyone to usebut you couldnt just every where to the same (well unless your china now)

time zones make things a lot more simple but mean that the real time isnt to different from that on the clock (again unless your in western china)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back