time to throw out these old bose speakers.
Dec 27, 2006 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
don't ask, i got them for free. they're just about dead, though.

i have a harmon/kardon avr 20 ii as an amp. i need new speakers, but i don't know much about speakers so i'm not sure what to get. i need some good speakers that cost less than $300 for a pair. i don't have that much money to spend, so $200 or under for a pair would be great.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 14
well with $200 you could get 8 insignias ...
icon10.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Team Insignia FTW!!!
tongue.gif

BTW post pics of the old bose...

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 14
For under 200, I recommend Polk R50s. They often go on sale at Frys and I just picked up a pair for 170 shipped. For the price vs. performance factor, these are like the KSC75s of the speaker world.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

I think he would rather enjoy 2 good sounding speakers than 8 mediocre speakers
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 14
should be able to swing a new pair of paradigm titans or possibly a used pair of mini monitors both will be steps above most things for the price

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah the Bose direct/reflecting speakers seem OK until you start listening for things like imaging. There is none. Also there's a huge void in the upper and lower ends of the music spectrom.

My advice would be

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=55

The X-series is a great value for the $. They come in real wood veneer as well. These will image better than any Bose speaker ever could. You'll get better bass and treble as well. And in the future you can pick up a matching subwoofer or center and rear channels.
The service is great. Mark Schifter is the brain child behind Audio Alchemy and Perpetual Technologies.

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have no pictures of them, but i'll just steal someone else's picture from ebay.

My uncle gave my dad a pair similar to those. All bass, no detail. Yuck!

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 14
The H-K is a terrific little receiver, surprisingly good sounding. I had a pair of Legacy Classic's once. Didn't fit in my small listening room well, so had them in our "family room." When we went to redesign the room, I dismantled the stereo system, putting in a simpler one, including the H-K AVR-20 Mk II.

Legacy's went down tot he basement, in storage; the wife didn't want them in the family room anymore. Time went on, and I knew they would never be used, so I put them up for sale. Person came by, I brought them up to the family room and (with apologies) hooked them up to the H-K. Dang if it didn't sound really good! There is something fairlyu musical about this receiver.....

Anyways, on topic, PM sent to OP......I have a pair of speakers he might like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back