Time to purchase a 2.0 speaker + amp setup (long)
Sep 22, 2006 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

THESANTINI

Head-Fier
A few years ago I had purchased Logitech z-640s. I some how stumbled across glueycwal who posts here and sharkyforums (audio). Before I knew it I gave my z-640s to my room mate in college and purchase Swan Diva M200s. An amazing purchase.

Currently, I'd like to purchase floorstanding speakers so I have more power. I can spend $2000 on the pair. The debate in my mind is what am I getting beyond Infinty speakers when I spend upwards of $800. Will I be able to here the difference? I'm not against spenidng more money because some of those dollars are put toward R&D, better materials, etc. I'd like to know how much of a benefit I can expect from the extra $ spent.

Lastly, in addition to the speakers I'll need an amplifer (which I may build) and a cd-player. I'd appreciate reccomendations for these.

Most of my time is spent listening to classic rock, I'm growing found of jazz (Brubeck, Getz...) but I'm a virgin as far as my jazz collection goes. After I purchase my speakers I'll repay the favor by posting a detailed review. Thanks in advance for all your hours spend fiddling with speakers!

Sep 22, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 5
There are lots of great speakers out there...hundreds

The best way that you can find a pair that suit you...ie. they sound the best...is to audition as many as you can.

Go to your local Hi-Fi shops and get to know the dealers (if like me you will purchase, trade, upgrade a lot of speakers), tell him your budget and have him show you his line. Then go to another Hi-Fi shop and do the same. Take notes about what you are hearing, what you like, what you don't like etc. There are also some good internet dealers that have 90 day in home trials.

After you have gone to every hi-fi dealer that you can, make a short list of what YOU like, then go back and hear them again.

Ideally you should try the speakers in your home in your room.

Everyone will tell you what the greatest speaker is, remember that the speaker is the best for them...not you

Enjoy the ride not just the destination

Sep 23, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 5
I really enjoy the Onix stuff from AV123.com

A pair of Rocket floorstanders sound right up your alley.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 5
I listened to the speakers in the 1K range at my local shop and had 2 favorites. I chose the Monitor Audio RS6 for my study/listening room after doing some reading, and considering the bang for the buck, did not look at more expensive speakers. At the 2K mark you can find several of the "high efficiency" or "full range" speakers that are popular with the SET tube amp group. Something I may look at another time.

1K also got a very nice 5.1 set from Anthony Gallo which plays music or home theatre very nicely.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by THESANTINI
A few years ago I had purchased Logitech z-640s. I some how stumbled across glueycwal who posts here and sharkyforums (audio). Before I knew it I gave my z-640s to my room mate in college and purchase Swan Diva M200s. An amazing purchase.

Currently, I'd like to purchase floorstanding speakers so I have more power. I can spend $2000 on the pair. The debate in my mind is what am I getting beyond Infinty speakers when I spend upwards of $800. Will I be able to here the difference? I'm not against spenidng more money because some of those dollars are put toward R&D, better materials, etc. I'd like to know how much of a benefit I can expect from the extra $ spent.

Lastly, in addition to the speakers I'll need an amplifer (which I may build) and a cd-player. I'd appreciate reccomendations for these.

Most of my time is spent listening to classic rock, I'm growing found of jazz (Brubeck, Getz...) but I'm a virgin as far as my jazz collection goes. After I purchase my speakers I'll repay the favor by posting a detailed review. Thanks in advance for all your hours spend fiddling with speakers!

Is the $2000 to include the amp, and / or cd player as well?

Don't just read on the internet what speakers to get, go audition some at a local store first, get an idea of what speaker brands sound like, and then you can start to do some internet research. There is no one brand that anyone will recommend you.

With only $2000 to spend, i would also start looking for a good used deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back