rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I currently own the following:
Sennheiser PX 100
Sennheiser CX 300
Sennheiser HD580
Grado SR60
Go-Vibe 5 amp

I'm getting that itch, and I'm looking for some suggestions as to what might be a nice new addition to the family.I'm not necessarily looking to spend much more than I have in the past, which was around $150 for the HD580s. The 580s truthfully end up being too tight on my ears/head and are hard to wear for very long. I do enjoy the sound of them and the Grado's a ton, though.

I think for the next pair, I'm thinking something real comfy, forward but warm. Possibly even something I could wear on the bus without looking too goofy, that sound better than the PX100 or CX300 (which I think are pretty damn good for daily bus use). I've considered the HD555s - would those make sense to compliment my current line-up? What other brand might be nice to compliment the Grado's and Senns? Alternatively, would I do better to buy a new amp? I listen primarily with an Ipod Touch or Cowon X5.

Finally, can anyone recommend anyplaces in the Triangle area of North Carolina to test/buy good headphones?

Either of these make sense? The prices look incredible...
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A...1648497&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A...1648497&sr=8-1

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Here's what you can do help the fit of the HD580. Fully extend the ear cups. Grip one ear cup with one hand and the headband with the other hand right where the metal part starts to go into the plastic part of the headband, and then carefully bend the metal back a couple inches several times. And then repeat this with the other ear cup. Also, when not in use, fully extend the ear cups and place the HD580 over a stack of books maybe 10" wide. Continue and repeat as often as the HD580 does not feel comfortable. Doing this eventually will loosen its grip, make it very comfortable, and extend the usable life of the ear pads. I highly recommend doing this, but of course do not attempt to bend the plastic part of the headband as it is subject to breaking.

FWIR, the Q40 with Beyer pads seems to best fit your described requirements / preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back