Time to feed this addiction with a new pair of IEMs
May 1, 2015 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fooey

Head-Fier
I don't know why but recently I've started to scratch that itch again ... it's time to throw more money down on some IEMs. In the past I've had :

Triple Fi (great highs)
ie8 ( muddy bass)
Ortofon e-Q7 (great mids)

And I currently own the following :

Shure 535
Westone W4R (sent back for repair)
Dunu DN1000

Of the three, the DUNU gets the most use - I prefer the overall sound but in terms of isolation, it's quite a way off from the 535s. I've never owned a pair of customs but would consider purchasing a pair... 

What I'm looking for is a significant improvement in SQ, isolation and < £ 1000. I'd like my next purchase to be my last for a long while.

IEMs which I've considered based on reviews I've read here : Kaiser K10, IE800, AK Angie and Shure 846.

My sources are a AK100, D10 Cobra and Samsung Note 4.

All comments appreciated.

May 1, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 10
May I know what kind of sound signature do you prefer, or which of the IEMs you current own do you like most? since the 4 you are considering are quite different (I would say 846 and IE800 are relatively simliar though)

my impression of the IEMs you are considering
- SE846 has a muddy, enveloped sound with warm and thick mid-bass, very different from 535. it's a bit too muddy for me so I'm not really into it but I can listen to it for hours without feeling fatigue. 
- I tried IE800 a few times but it keeps falling off (too small or my ears are enlarged too much by customs? lol) even when I'm sitting still. However I feel like it sounds quite similar to 846, actually a bit brighter even though it is dynamic.
- I haven't auditioned Angie yet so no comment. I can only say almost all JH iems I owned or auditioned before have huge dynamics, thick and warm mid/bass and a lot more contrast, but kinda lacks details in the highs and the control is not the best among high end CIEMs.

IMO the only one that would 'last for a long while' you are considering is noble K10, although you may need to raise your budget a bit for it. If you like a flat sound with relatively thick mid and smooth transitions it is one of the best (used to be my No.1 but now UM Legacy beats it).

In the similar price range I would recommend VE stage 4 or UM mentor, UERM is another fav from me.

Just my personal impressions, but still hope it helps and sorry for my poor English :)

May 1, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 10
From what you have said the Kaiser K10, but they are extremely annoying to get, plus fit issues if you are not lucky. Otherwise W60 is a good fit if you prefer a flatter sound, and SE846 if you are looking for something more fun, I strongly disagree the se846 is muddy. Similar to w4r vs se535, I owned the E500 instead of the 535, and preferred the E500.

I had problems with customs (silicon) so gave up on customs for the time being.

I am currently using the SE846 with my note 4, great pairing, I get a fuller sound and slightly more details with the D10 (changed op amps), but I don't think the extra size is worth the extra SQ on the go.

May 1, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Regarding SE846, it was kinda weird because me and my friend both find it muddy - even muddier than ie800, while most online reviews say the opposite. maybe it was the demo set so perhaps you should pass my comment. but i would say if im getting a universal iem i would go for 846 because it was very relaxing listening to it and the ergonomics is so much, much better than ie800 and k3003

May 1, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 10
Maybe they left the black filters in the demo set or even damaged. To get the potential out of the SE846 you really got to try different filters (even modding them) and tips, they are very tip dependent, e.g the westone star tips are better than the stock silicon tips. Erogonomics wise, for a universal, you can't beat the W60.

I would also like to add I got bored of the LCD2 rather quickly, so a flat response iem like the Angie isn't for me. There's something in the SE846 that makes it fun. The ie800 and k3003 just don't have the vocals of the westone and shures.

May 2, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks guys for the replies.

The K10s came to mind as they seem to be one of the best pair of IEMs at any price from what I have read.
I haven't read all related threads in their entirety but the fit issues which you speak of, are they targeted towards customs in general or this pair. I did see the K10u, the universal equivalent but they look like they would protrude from the ear somewhat.

Having never owned a pair of customs before, would sound isolation be significantly improved? Also, I'd probably wear them to the gym if possible. The drivers in one of my W4R were damaged due to sweat entering them during a tough cardio session. Is that likely to be a problem with customs? It's not been a problem with the DN1000.

May 2, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks guys for the replies.

The K10s came to mind as they seem to be one of the best pair of IEMs at any price from what I have read.
I haven't read all related threads in their entirety but the fit issues which you speak of, are they targeted towards customs in general or this pair. I did see the K10u, the universal equivalent but they look like they would protrude from the ear somewhat.

Having never owned a pair of customs before, would sound isolation be significantly improved? Also, I'd probably wear them to the gym if possible. The drivers in one of my W4R were damaged due to sweat entering them during a tough cardio session. Is that likely to be a problem with customs? It's not been a problem with the DN1000.

Customs in general, and isolation will be significantly improved, given similar prices customs is a better choice.

Given the K10 is a pure BA the risk of damage in the gym will be the same as the W4r.

May 4, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 10
I just heard back from Westone regarding the W4Rs. They said that they are out of warranty and beyond repair, however they will sell me a discounted pair of W40s at $250.
I guess these would sound pretty similar to the W4Rs and I was getting a little bored of those... What to do... Drop money on some earphones that I probably wouldn't be entirely happy with or ask for my broken junk back ... Decisions decisions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back