Time to consolidate my iPod 'issues'
May 19, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by richard
I don't believe the ipod itself reads tags; I believe the ipod reads its internal database (iTunesDB) which is built by ephpod or MMJB or whatever from the tags

In any event, most of my stuff is tagged id3v1 and I have no problems.

One song every 20 seconds sounds terribly slow. A command line tagger I use would take less than 10 minutes, I'd guess. It can create tags from filepath info. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

Yes... It turned out that the tagging program goes into protest go slow mode if you put it inthe background.

Apparently my set-up's pretty bad. Athlon 2200, 1Gb Ram on this particular machine, a fairly old Firewire card with the Ti chipset which came bundled with the scanner, 3MB/sec. Thought that was a bit slow, so I've tried installing it on another PC but it didn't work and I can't be bothered to fiddle. It's still pretty fast, a track a second, so I'm not complaining.

Just thinking out aloud here, but the more I struggle with MP3 management and general media on the PC, the more I'm starting to think I should get an iBook or something just for home entertainment use. Apart from games, I don't really like fiddling with PC's that much, but it's just become clear to me that trying to achieve very simple things on the PC once they're slightly out of the iron (and mostly reliable) grip of an all-Microsoft solution is often a really frustrating experience.
I have friends with Macs and the work or play they manage to get through in the same time as I finally manage to sort some incompatibility or problem out is huge.
Unfortunately a lot of the software I use professionally is not available on the Mac (and Virtual PC is NOT viable) but I'm really tempted to get a little iBook.

May 19, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by maczrool
BS crap? Kind of like baby puppy. Anyway, I have seen sustained transfers of over 9 MB/sec w/ my Audigy 2 card's firewire and my 15 GB iPod.

Stu

you're kidding, right? have you not read the audigy's problems with ipods?

anyways, glad you got such high transfer rates.. I have no idea why mine is so slow.. It all started when i added my 36GB 15.3 cheetah..

May 19, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Just thinking out aloud here, but the more I struggle with MP3 management and general media on the PC, the more I'm starting to think I should get an iBook or something just for home entertainment use. Apart from games, I don't really like fiddling with PC's that much, but it's just become clear to me that trying to achieve very simple things on the PC once they're slightly out of the iron (and mostly reliable) grip of an all-Microsoft solution is often a really frustrating experience.
I have friends with Macs and the work or play they manage to get through in the same time as I finally manage to sort some incompatibility or problem out is huge.

Funny you should mention that. I've started to make that suggestion a few times to you, but then decided not to start a platform debate.

My newest computer is a PC, but I wouldn't dream of using it to manage my music collection. Any Mac capable of running OSX (which includes the free iTunes app) is a better choice, IMO.

May 19, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23

anyways, glad you got such high transfer rates.. I have no idea why mine is so slow.. It all started when i added my 36GB 15.3 cheetah..

Quite serious. I have to admit, I don't get such rates regularly. I usually get about 6.5 MB/sec, but on occasion it does better, up to about 9.5 MB/sec. I hadn't read of any problems w/ Audigy cards and the iPods. It came w/ my Dell and it works, so I'm happy.

The only problem I have other than sound issues, is that Ephpod or the iPod keeps deleting my playlists after I sync.

Stu

May 19, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23

The more I read about THAT the more I think it's Audigy 1 and not 2 ... I might be wrong but mine's been flawless ... I wonder if fragmented HDD'd explain the 6MB/sec or so I get.

btw, stan23, quick question about your iPod ... the new one that is ... can you set the alarm to ANYTHING other than "Beep" ... I just saw bunch of people posting about that problem on apple's forums and I figured I'd ask around here before I post there but I got that too, where no matter what playlist I pick it says "okay" and the next thing I know my alarm's set to the useless "Beep".

Nick

May 19, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

quick question about your iPod ... the new one that is ... can you set the alarm to ANYTHING other than "Beep" ... I just saw bunch of people posting about that problem on apple's forums and I figured I'd ask around here before I post there but I got that too, where no matter what playlist I pick it says "okay" and the next thing I know my alarm's set to the useless "Beep".

Nick

I have that problem too.

Stu

May 19, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #53 of 62
May 19, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick3D
^To the above...no known workaround other than the update ... I really wonder how come they'd jump from 2.0 to 3.0 in one step if they did a gazillion (okay, a few) .whatever updates of the 1st version.

The wait for v3.0 of the iPod software goes on...

*sigh*

anyone that doesn't have an iPod but really wants one, despite the few minor bugs here and there might wanna buy today ...

Dell's deal's back to piss me off some more (shipped - 15 Gig = $319, 30 Gig = $409) ... *double sigh*

Nick out.

I think that Dell is designed to piss off more people than just you. It's pissing me off too, cause I cannot order it in Canada... if i could, it would be a no brainer.. Doh..

Does anyone have any experience with battery life using 320kbps AACs/MP3s?

May 20, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #55 of 62
I got no AAC (Windows version and I know about the workarounds, just haven't given any of them a shot yet) but for mp3s at 320 ... it's hard to tell as only a good amount of my collection's in 320kbps...

however I'm guessing battery life would be slightly lower (might be guessing wrong there, who knows) because it'd be loading stuff from the harddrive to the 32Meg buffer more often than if things were at lower (like 192, 128 AAC even) bitrate ... I've noticed it takes quite a bit to charge the thing fully and not so much to have it drop at 3/4th battery level but then again I don't believe that battery indicator as much because I've had it at nothing and then all the way up to all lines except one without charging. I've had my iPod for less than 20 days so I cannot tell how close to the truth I am, but assuming occasional few hour use the battery lasts 2-3 days, obviously less if it's more than a few hours per day.

Lately I charge it anytime that I don't carry the iPod with me, now that I supposevly established (fount out from forums so I'm not 100% sure) that the battery cannot be overcharged/ruined by charging "too often" and opposed to the other kinds where a full drain's a good idea every so often this new one's supposevly happiest when 100% full so I just top it off and whenever I'm at home I listen to the iPod from the Dock's line out as it is charging.

Nick

May 20, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick3D
The more I read about THAT the more I think it's Audigy 1 and not 2 ... I might be wrong but mine's been flawless ... I wonder if fragmented HDD'd explain the 6MB/sec or so I get.

btw, stan23, quick question about your iPod ... the new one that is ... can you set the alarm to ANYTHING other than "Beep" ... I just saw bunch of people posting about that problem on apple's forums and I figured I'd ask around here before I post there but I got that too, where no matter what playlist I pick it says "okay" and the next thing I know my alarm's set to the useless "Beep".

Nick

Yeah mine is an Audigy 2 and have had no problems. While doing a back up in preparation for a return to Apple for repair/replacement, I noticed that I was getting about 10.2 MB/sec. Very nice!

Stu

attachment.php

May 21, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #57 of 62
nice speed but that's reading, not writing so I'm not sure if the comparison'd make as much sense...

anyhow, as if we didn't have enought minor issues ... I'm sending Apple more "feedback" shortly ... clock's crashed ... it seems to sorta work but not really, like when I get to it it's frozen as if the increment by 1 mechanism's crashed...other than that the iPod's fully functional so What, did Apple do any extended testing on these things? else did they happen to pack a bunch of Windows iPod specific bugs for the fun of it to make windows folks mover over to apple?

I still love my iPod but the number of minor issues that don't prevent it from being a great mp3 player but do get annoying keeps growing
frown.gif

*sigh*

Nick

May 21, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #58 of 62
I realize it was reading rather than writing, but still interesting. I'll post the writing speed when I get my iPod back from Apple. Whenever that is.

I think Apple has an unwritten policy to release beta siftware as final.

Stu

May 21, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by maczrool
I think Apple has an unwritten policy to release beta siftware as final.

Stu

LOL

By comparison, that would suggest that Microsoft's policy is to release pre-Alpha-still-in-development software as finals. Windows 2003 Server is... well.. pretty bad..
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Clutz
LOL

By comparison, that would suggest that Microsoft's policy is to release pre-Alpha-still-in-development software as finals. Windows 2003 Server is... well.. pretty bad..
biggrin.gif

ouch...is it?
I wouldn't know, I'm still on 2000 and I gotta say Win2K+SP3's pretty damn rocksolid for well over 2 years now (without reinstalling...it's crazy I tell ya
biggrin.gif
)

maczrool, cool just makin' sure ... I'd be very interested in your speed when writing...and in the mean time I'm sooo totaly freakin' restoring my iPod to see if the clock goes back to its functional state...I mean more features, more bugs, that's to be expected but not THAT many bugs...then again on that many features
wink.gif

I listened to about 3 hours of random music today, it only skipped like 2 songs, and I think they were both of the downloaded kind... despite the small annoyances I gotta tell ya folks, me being used to 4-10 songs at a time (Diamond Rio300 with 32 megs) finds this iPod to be the most amazing thing...never before have I been able to dream of listening to such variety of music, not even on my PC as my mostly ripped mp3s are archived on about 25ish MP3 cds (some have other junk on them too so don't do a direct 25x700Mb calculation there) that I don't keep on the harddrive very often.

*hugs iPod and beats the crap outta Apple for the buggy firmware ruining the perfection of the unit*

Nick out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back