Time for proper headphones this time
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Comrade Vodka

New Head-Fier
Greetings knowledgable people of head-fi \o/,

I've been using the HyperX cloud 1 since shortly after its release due to it's positive feedback from many people for being the first cheap gaming headset that actually has decent sound in the world of otherwise crap headset quality. Before I state my requirements I would first and foremost like to say:

- The clouds are comfy as balls
- I love that my ears aren't touched at all. The cans are deep enough to not touch the fabric that's between my ear and the drivers
- Soundstage is surprisingly decent for closed-back

But now that I had a bit more money to spend I got my hands on a Rode NT-USB and thus it's time to move away from headsets and to move towards proper headphones. Requirements as follows:

- Closed-back as I do sometimes use them on the move (not being foldable or otherwise portable is not necessary at all)
- Balanced sound with slight emphasis on bass (not heavy or overwhelming, just a slight emphasis)
- Good soundstage. Yes I'm aware open-back has superior soundstage by a huge margin but as outlined above I need closed-back so don't even bother recommending open-back. They will be ignored
- Needs to be comfy as balls

When it comes to headphones I'm completely lost thus I require your aid \o/. If you can't get all my requirements in a single pair of headphones please recommend several with the compromise I have to make.

Edit: Would like a short description of whatever you're recommending and potentially an in-depth review if you can link one

Edit: Budget is ideally <€150 but absolute max is €200

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 9
What's your budget?

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 9
I'd look into the Beyerdynamic DT770, AKG K553, or the Shure 840. The Beyers sound better with an amp for what it's worth

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 9
I'd look into the Beyerdynamic DT770, AKG K553, or the Shure 840. The Beyers sound better with an amp for what it's worth
The K553 are unfortunately no longer available here and it's out of budget when shipped in from outside
DT770 worth looking into but they say it requires long burn-in. How would one go about burning headphones in?
Shure SRH840 I assume? Do you have a link to a review of them?

Edit: Which amp would you recommend with the DT770s? Preferably not too expensive

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Burn in typically doesn't take more than a day of full playing, but some people recommend 100+ hours. Honestly it's not that big of a deal. I'd just let it play music while you sleep each night for a week.

Shure review:

FiiO E10k is a good starter combo. Schiit Fulla 2 is a step up. Magni 3 is an amp only but it's the best amp under $100 by a long shot

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 9
DT150 fits your description although they do require an amplifier. As it is with most headphones, some people find them comfortable and some don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back