TIme for new headphones
Dec 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mbenus

New Head-Fier
I think it's time for new 'phones. I have a pair of Stax SR-5's from the 80's. It's a pain to use them as I have to disconnect the  leads from my speakers and plug them into the Stax box.

I would like a pair to just plug into my Linn Majik Kontrol preamp without using a dedicated headphone amp. I understand that some 'phones do need an amp and some don't. Is there any way to narrow down my search or is it just hit and miss?

Any suggestions, advice, experience, or links to articles would be welcome.

Mark
Deep in the heart of (New) Jersey

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 6
You just need to look at headphones that have a lower impedance. If you can flip through your preamp manual I bet it will give you a spec for the impedance of your 'out ' headphone jack that is measured in Ohms.

Once you find that, it is a simple matter of making sure you have headphones that are either below, at, or slightly above that rating (the more ohms the headphones have over what the preamp can deliver, the quieter they will be).

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply.

The headphone output impedance spec on my preamp is 11 ohms. I did a random check and found a bunch of 'phones with impedances of about 30-50 ohms; is this too far off, or do I need to be closer to 11?

Mark
Deep in the heart of (New) Jersey

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 6
30 to 50 into an 11ohm source is probably good. What you want to avoid are the 100s of ohms phones, like the Senheiser HD-600s.  They'll need more voltage to drive the same power than your source is likely able to provide.  It'll sound GOOD, just quiet.

On the flip-side, you don't want to get too LOW of an impedance, because it'll start sourcing too much current which will cause voltage dips (read: distortion.)  It'll be nice and loud, but sound crummy.

So,  yeah.  30 to 50 ohms is about right for an 11ohm source.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 6
I should probabl respond to the other part of your post.  Hehe..

What is your budget and listening style?  That will affect what type of phones to look for more than anything else.  I personally have a couple pairs of Sennheiser HD-595s that I'm quite fond of for daily at-work (read: not critical) listening. 

I found this thread by searching for SR-5; I'm borrowing a pair of SR-5s with SRD-6 from a friend trying to decide whether I want to buy them or not.  I'd love to ask you some questions about your SR-5s, if you don't mind a PM (to not hijack this thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back