Time for a new IEM...
Oct 16, 2011 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Baba booey

Headphoneus Supremus
So, getting bored of these UE's(Metro 170's... idk, paid $10 for them used on here back in March).
I'm looking for something good for metal, rock...want those bass drums to hit.  Isolation is cool, without sacrificing comfort too much...of all the IEMs I've tried, I really loved the fit of the Senn IE6's and Mylarone X3i's, so closer to those would be cool.
Easy to drive is preferable, but if they could benefit from an amp(like the RE-0's I had before these Metro-Fi's), that'll be fine.  Durability is also key, but if they have a good warranty, I'm interested.  I'd love removable cables(if replacements aren't too expensive).  Clarity+neutral sound would be nice, with maybe a bit of bass(at least as much as the RE-0's have, or my Metro-Fi's).
Price-wise...I'll just say under $200, used or new, I guess...still way more than what I wanna spend, but I guess I can sell enough stuff to make this happen.  I have a Fuze(rockbox'd), ipod 5.5g (rockbox'd), and my icon mobile running out of my computer as my sources.

So, what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 11
Sony EX600, GR07, TF10vi, B2, HF5, SM2, CK10, Image X5 and C5.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
So, getting bored of these UE's(Metro 170's... idk, paid $10 for them used on here back in March).
I'm looking for something good for metal, rock...want those bass drums to hitIsolation is cool, without sacrificing comfort too much...of all the IEMs I've tried, I really loved the fit of the Senn IE6's and Mylarone X3i's, so closer to those would be cool.
Easy to drive is preferable, but if they could benefit from an amp(like the RE-0's I had before these Metro-Fi's), that'll be fine.  Durability is also key, but if they have a good warranty, I'm interested.  I'd love removable cables(if replacements aren't too expensive).  Clarity+neutral sound would be nice, with maybe a bit of bass(at least as much as the RE-0's have, or my Metro-Fi's).
Price-wise...I'll just say under $200, used or new, I guess...still way more than what I wanna spend, but I guess I can sell enough stuff to make this happen.  I have a Fuze(rockbox'd), ipod 5.5g (rockbox'd), and my icon mobile running out of my computer as my sources.

So, what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

EX600 or GR07 are right up your alley my friend, though isolation on either one is sub-par, if that's tolerable. The RE272 is also as good an option as any, though it's slightly north of neutral. The e-Q5 (used for ~$180) is also an excellent choice, and personally my absolute favorite of the bunch. Each of the aforementioned can be easily driven without an amp, though the GR07 (with a higher impedance) does benefit from an amp, albeit it's not an absolute necessity IMHO. All the best my friend. 
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 11
I throw my vote for the EX600. They perform phenomenally with metal and rock.

As you can see from looking at my signature, I place them among the best of the best in IEM. And when comparing to the e-Q5, they had almost exactly the same sound. I think the e-Q5 had a tad bit more bass texturing, but I thought the EX600 had better clarity and soundstage.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 11
CK10 sounds like a good choice from what you're describing.  Also I'll put in a vote for one of my favs the Triple Fi 10.

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 11
IE8 not very neutral lol, I also put in Ety ER4P

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 11
ACS T15, Brainwavz B2 are both great choices.  I haven't heard the Etymotice ER4s, however I have heard the HF2s (own a pair) and have also read comparisons to them, and they sound surprisingly similar to the T15s I suggested above.  So those should also be added to the list.  I wouldn't be able to tell you which was better (or even compare signatures for you, unless you want a comparison to the HFs :p)

If you do want a full comparison, you'd have to wait a few days for these suckers to finish burning in :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 11
The Sennheiser IE8 are very engaging yet detailed in mids, highs with big deep punchy bass (bass knob to increase) . They are fun to listen with huge soundstage(out of head) and tough built with removeble cable(highely recommended).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back