Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are HD201,202,212,205 & 215?

Tier 4? coz HD280 is also there

I'd put them in tier 6.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea. But hard to get right, since we all have different preferences and rank certain 'phone above/below what someone else would rank the exact same 'phone.

You are missing a lot of 'phones as well.
Example the whole Stax line, besides the Omega 2 which you have in Tier 1. SR-Omega, 4070, SR-404, SR-Lambda, SR-Lambda Signature, SR-Lambda Pro, ...

Ignorance, really. Where would they go?

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Now I just need people to name some cans and tell me where to rank em. =P

Damn, I just noticed my tier 3 is getting pretty big. Is that right? Where would you guys put the Yuins, Shures, etc?

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ignorance, really. Where would they go?

Something like this maybe?

Tier 1:
Stax 4070
Stax SR-Omega

Tier 2:
Stax SR-404
Stax SR-Lambda Signature
Stax SR-Lambda Pro
Stax SR-Lambda

Tier 3:
Stax SR-303
Stax SR-202
Stax SR-X/MK3 Pro
Stax SR-Gamma Pro

Tier 4:
Stax SR-X/MK3
Stax SR-Gamma
Stax SR-5

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #37 of 52
I think the tiered ranking is a great idea. I would like to buy the best can with the money available. I understand that the preferences among the phones are personal and music dependent. However, the idea is still great.

It may help the tier guide being more useful by ranking the phones according to the music genres. My 2 cents.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omega ain't the same as Omega 2, right? =)

SR-Omega was the predecessor of the four SR-007 models...
SR-Omega -> 1993-1995
SR-007 and SR-007BL -> 1997-2007
SR-007A and SR-007MK2 -> 2007-??

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #39 of 52
A neat idea, however I don't see how you can rate them unless a larger group of people have heard them all and can list them accordingly. Right now it pretty much looks as if they're listed in terms of price...

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #40 of 52
I don't know what I am doing in this thread, with all due respect to the OP and all others who think this is a great idea.
"Pretty much looks as if they're listed in terms of price..." is anyone surprised by this? Each manufacturer produces a line of product that caters to specific market groups. Generally, a bottom end, various middles and a top end. Now there will be discrepencies and variation in this, and in regard to headphones considerable opinions that will deviate from price only, however because these opinions can not be evaluated objectively (even by majority rules, if it were possible for everyone who comments/votes to listen to every model) you will only end up with a price based tiered system. You would need to construct a matrix rather than a list to even attempt to accomplish an inventory that was useful that extended beyond price only. This matrix would need to include various preferences like: isolating, darker bassier sound, brighter fatser sound, airy, efficient, power hungry, and would need to include portable source through to well amped system etc etc not to even mention music genres. Headphones and sound preferences are subjective. There is no best. And creating a better to worse tired system will result in a price list with several (many) disguntled headphone owners completely disagreeing with some placings. This list will be no more helpful than a list of best cars/vehicles, which would also end up as a price list, probably divided up further into categories-off road, people mover, city run about, sports car, tourer etc.
People accept that headphones are subjective, that preference plays a major part, and they also accept that with some exceptions, (both the over piced and sonic bargins) price is a fair indictor of where to start with the next decsion on the headphone journey. We should not encourage a list of from best to worse in my opinion, we should identify what people are seeking and make helpful sugestions reagrding meeting those needs, based on our various experiences and preferences. And that is what Headfi does, sometimes well and sometimes with confussing conflicting views. But hey, that is what opinions are all about.

Good luck with your list.

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #41 of 52
While I was reading this the first thing I thought of was a star graph (is this the correct term?)... like the ones you see in games lol. Like in racing games, when they plot the specs of the cars so you can compare them to each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would need to construct a matrix rather than a list to even attempt to accomplish an inventory that was useful that extended beyond price only. This matrix would need to include various preferences like: isolating, darker bassier sound, brighter fatser sound, airy, efficient, power hungry, and would need to include portable source through to well amped system etc etc not to even mention music genres.

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #42 of 52
Pointless. To many variables.

Simon

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A fine idea. Nobody is claiming it as a be-all end-all.

I suggest a second list for in ear models.

Agreed. We're not trying to rank the cans here. We're just trying to place some cans in relative hierarchy according to headfi consensus?
I don't think anyone should ever decide on headphones based on this list, but I think it is a very good place to start narrowing down the cans.
Instead of disregarding the thread all together, if the prominent headfiers would input their opinions to make the list more comprehensive, this really could help many new headfiers.
I for one was very confused by all the brands and names in the forum when I first started browsing headfi.

That said, maybe a little bit more information on the cans would be nice. It could be something as basic as Open/Closed, or perhaps a very general sonic description.

Oh, and I think PK2's deserve a spot in Tier 5. NOt sure where PK1 would go as I haven't heard them. But judging that they benefit more from amping and overall is an improvement over PK2's, Tier 4 would be appropriate. I guess PK3's would be placed appropriately in Tier 6.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #45 of 52
Also, I'd like to add that for IEM's can easily be categorized into dynamic drivers, armature drivers (single, double, triple) regardless of sonic signature. Just stick on the prices of each iems and people can start their search there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back