Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 8, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #4,741 of 5,201
I had always made a distinction between a sound wave and sound. A longitudinal pressure wave or mechanical wave was responsible for sound, but was not in all definitions, sound itself to me. But, since this physical force will impact the environment, I see it makes no logical sense to separate these ideas as they are one in the same from a technical perspective.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Thanks mate, appreciate that. It is a nasty bug running around now. Several people I know (but have not been in physical proximity with for a few weeks) are also quite sick. I work in a health care setting (mental health/correctional facility) and I have been fully vaccinated including a seasonal flu shot, but didn't matter, I still got pretty darn sick. I often wonder why when people speak about apex predators that they fail to mention microbes. Those little creatures are boss if you ask me.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #4,742 of 5,201
Ok, just finished reading that study and clearly it supports that people can't hear differences between 320mp3 and CD quality. There was no mention of level matching the volume that I saw and the thing with those stupid MQA files is that they are typically mixed louder than the original, much like when an album is released "remastered" the amplitude is pushed up. Louder sounds better all other things being equal. The study was interesting but, unless I missed it there was no mention of ensuring that the MQA files were played at the same SPL. Even a difference of .5 of a dB can be detected. Not saying that happened, but that it is possible.

It says some people can hear the difference and some people can't. And among those who can, some can only describe it in emotional terms.

It doesn't mention MQA at all. They used actual 24/192 Hi Res files, like the kind one can stream or buy on Qobuz.

(The tree falls in the forest thing was a joke; sorry that was such a distraction. See Wikipedia for more on that thought experiment.)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #4,743 of 5,201
My reasoning is not necessarily that Hi-Res or Lossless is a must, but I like to know the music sounds a s good as it can be.
The thing that will prevent me from listening to an Album etc is if it's poorly produced and mixed.
I cannot do a thin tinny production personally

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #4,744 of 5,201
EQ for Tidal streaming on iPad Pro.

I am looking for a much less expensive method to use EQ than Roon. I tried out the BOOM Bass booster and EQ app. It streams Tidal right from the app. My custom EQ for the Elegia adds some sparkle and air at the top end; the built in bass boost is enough as is. However, at least with the trial version, the sound quality overall is a BIG step down from my Roon preset.

Has anyone found a USC-C dac with built in EQ that would be cheaper than using Roon…

BTW, I only like Roon for the EQ functionality. The user interface is MUCH better on Tidal.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #4,745 of 5,201

I am looking for a much less expensive method to use EQ than Roon. I tried out the BOOM Bass booster and EQ app. It streams Tidal right from the app. My custom EQ for the Elegia adds some sparkle and air at the top end; the built in bass boost is enough as is. However, at least with the trial version, the sound quality overall is a BIG step down from my Roon preset.

Has anyone found a USC-C dac with built in EQ that would be cheaper than using Roon…

BTW, I only like Roon for the EQ functionality. The user interface is MUCH better on Tidal.

Only being curious, but why is USB-C critical to your feature list? They make USB-C to USB-B cables in all different lengths. I use one now to go from my MacBook Pro (M1) to an RME ADI-2 DAC.

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #4,746 of 5,201
Only being curious, but why is USB-C critical to your feature list? They make USB-C to USB-B cables in all different lengths. I use one now to go from my MacBook Pro (M1) to an RME ADI-2 DAC.
Understand your point. I am using my iPad Pro as the source, and want to minimize cables to my balanced headphones. The RME ADI-2 DAC is a desktop, whereas I am looking for something smaller/portable. Anyone else with suggestions?

Dec 12, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #4,748 of 5,201
Is it possible to use connect with the windows app?

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #4,749 of 5,201
Dec 22, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #4,750 of 5,201
Signed up Tidal yesterday.
But no offline mode in windows desktop app?

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #4,751 of 5,201
Signed up Tidal yesterday.
But no offline mode in windows desktop app?
No... only iOS and Android. Downloads are useful on mobile devices. No need to download to your PC... just live stream.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #4,752 of 5,201
I use and like Audirvana; it streams Tidal and others, and plays local files too, with slightly better sound than not using it. It allows you to pick various Audio Units to EQ the sound. Note: it decodes MQA and when those files are played, the AU's are disabled.
I have a trial version of Roon. The EQ capabilities are quite advanced.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #4,753 of 5,201
No... only iOS and Android. Downloads are useful on mobile devices. No need to download to your PC... just live stream.
Tried it tonight. Works great. Full wifi signal 😀

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #4,754 of 5,201
Will Tidal output full signal from a smart tv and optical out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back