Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jan 28, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #4,531 of 5,203
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #4,532 of 5,203
Did you change your password after you noticed the issue?

In some countries (notably the EU), IP address is classified as personally identifiable information and businesses may be required handle it as private data that they cannot share.
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5648af5d-268c-4561-985c-9fcd2186c0a9

Changing the password is the first thing I thought of reading this. Unless the other user is someone you've given usage to, such as your (OP) wife.

I find Tidal doesn't seem to mind if I have multiple instances of it open and running on different devices in my household. Of course, these all appear as the same IP address.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #4,533 of 5,203
My apologies if this is asked and answered. I did a search using the term “playlist” and scanned the results (quickly) and didn’t see anything.

1. What is the individual song limit of favorite songs in Tidal? Apple’s equivalent (saving to the library) is 100,000.
2. Is there a limit to the number of songs in a Tidal playlist?
3. What is the individual album limit of favorite albums in Tidal?
4. Does Tidal have any plans to allow favorites to be shuffled? Does Roon do this?

Thanks...

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,534 of 5,203
My apologies if this is asked and answered. I did a search using the term “playlist” and scanned the results (quickly) and didn’t see anything.

1. What is the individual song limit of favorite songs in Tidal? Apple’s equivalent (saving to the library) is 100,000.
2. Is there a limit to the number of songs in a Tidal playlist?
3. What is the individual album limit of favorite albums in Tidal?
4. Does Tidal have any plans to allow favorites to be shuffled? Does Roon do this?

Thanks...

Favorites are limited to 9999 for songs and albums, each. Playlists are similarly limited to 9999 songs. It seems like a technical design limitation, whether intentional or not, I wouldn't know. No limit on liked or downloaded songs.

Among a few other reasons, I mainly use Roon with Tidal because I want to shuffle favorites and add my own music that is not available to stream.

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #4,535 of 5,203
Favorites are limited to 9999 for songs and albums, each. Playlists are similarly limited to 9999 songs. It seems like a technical design limitation, whether intentional or not, I wouldn't know. No limit on liked or downloaded songs.

Among a few other reasons, I mainly use Roon with Tidal because I want to shuffle favorites and add my own music that is not available to stream.

Thank you! Tell me (my Apple Music library is just over 40000) could I break that down into 5 playlists and use a service to upload them to Tidal?

If yes, will Roon shuffle all playlists at once? Or just one max’d out playlist at a time? (Assume nothing is downloaded.)

Thanks in advance...

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #4,536 of 5,203
Thank you! Tell me (my Apple Music library is just over 40000) could I break that down into 5 playlists and use a service to upload them to Tidal?

If yes, will Roon shuffle all playlists at once? Or just one max’d out playlist at a time? (Assume nothing is downloaded.)

Thanks in advance...
I don't have too much experience with playlists, but the comments I see in the Roon Labs forum indicate that you could include multiple playlists.

https://community.roonlabs.com/

With regards to limits, it might be tricky with Roon. I only add Albums as favorites with Tidal, and I can do this from the Roon software or directly with Tidal's desktop or browser interface. When I add an album as a favorite, Roon automatically shows the album in the Albums section, the artist in the Artists section, and all the songs from the the album in the Tracks section. By adding an album as a favorite, Tidal only sees this as a Favorite for albums, and this is separate from Artist or Track favorites.

For example, I have 1069 Tidal albums that are favorites. In Roon, I see all of these under Albums, and I can shuffle all of this music and it will play anything from these albums. But without me having to do anything extra, Roon added all of the Tracks for each "favorited" Tidal album under their Tracks section, and the same was done for the artists. In the Roon interface, I show 14,721 tracks available from Tidal. These can also be shuffled in Roon, but it should be no different than shuffling from the Albums section in the default settings. I already have more songs from Tidal than are allowed to be favorites, since these songs are included in the 1069 favorite albums.

That said, I would expect you to be able to add multiple playlists with the max number of songs in each. Though, I don't know if songs from playlists automatically populate in Roon Artists or Tracks section. If all the playlist songs automatically appear in Roon's Tracks section, you are good to go for shuffling everything. Not only that, but Roon has a very nice Radio section that can utilize the Tidal or Qobuz library, if you are a subscriber, to play similar music based on Genres/Artist/Albums/Tracks. Found a lot of cool new stuff that way.

I can test later tonight if you don't find your answer sooner.

Also, I believe the online tool, Soundiz, would be able to assist in migrating Tidal playlists as you outlined in your reply. Nothing is perfect and you would still need to manually add some stuff that just doesn't migrate automatically, but Soundiz usually does a fantastic job of getting most things.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #4,537 of 5,203
I don't have too much experience with playlists, but the comments I see in the Roon Labs forum indicate that you could include multiple playlists.

https://community.roonlabs.com/

With regards to limits, it might be tricky with Roon. I only add Albums as favorites with Tidal, and I can do this from the Roon software or directly with Tidal's desktop or browser interface. When I add an album as a favorite, Roon automatically shows the album in the Albums section, the artist in the Artists section, and all the songs from the the album in the Tracks section. By adding an album as a favorite, Tidal only sees this as a Favorite for albums, and this is separate from Artist or Track favorites.

For example, I have 1069 Tidal albums that are favorites. In Roon, I see all of these under Albums, and I can shuffle all of this music and it will play anything from these albums. But without me having to do anything extra, Roon added all of the Tracks for each "favorited" Tidal album under their Tracks section, and the same was done for the artists. In the Roon interface, I show 14,721 tracks available from Tidal. These can also be shuffled in Roon, but it should be no different than shuffling from the Albums section in the default settings. I already have more songs from Tidal than are allowed to be favorites, since these songs are included in the 1069 favorite albums.

That said, I would expect you to be able to add multiple playlists with the max number of songs in each. Though, I don't know if songs from playlists automatically populate in Roon Artists or Tracks section. If all the playlist songs automatically appear in Roon's Tracks section, you are good to go for shuffling everything. Not only that, but Roon has a very nice Radio section that can utilize the Tidal or Qobuz library, if you are a subscriber, to play similar music based on Genres/Artist/Albums/Tracks. Found a lot of cool new stuff that way.

I can test later tonight if you don't find your answer sooner.

Also, I believe the online tool, Soundiz, would be able to assist in migrating Tidal playlists as you outlined in your reply. Nothing is perfect and you would still need to manually add some stuff that just doesn't migrate automatically, but Soundiz usually does a fantastic job of getting most things.

Thank you for such a thorough reply! No testing needed. Based on your post, it sounds like shuffling as I would prefer to is available through Roon - and it has a good amount of organizational benefits as well. I do enjoy the “radio” that is my Apple Music library, shuffled.

I currently have just over 6400 albums in Apple Music. The 10000 album limit in Tidal causes me some concern - but it’s something I could live with.

I wonder if Roon can somehow shuffle Qobuz and Tidal tracks at the same time? Probably asking too much.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #4,538 of 5,203
Thank you for such a thorough reply! No testing needed. Based on your post, it sounds like shuffling as I would prefer to is available through Roon - and it has a good amount of organizational benefits as well. I do enjoy the “radio” that is my Apple Music library, shuffled.

I currently have just over 6400 albums in Apple Music. The 10000 album limit in Tidal causes me some concern - but it’s something I could live with.

I wonder if Roon can somehow shuffle Qobuz and Tidal tracks at the same time? Probably asking too much.
I use both Tidal and Qobuz together with Roon. All synchronized together and I typically select Albums and Shuffle to randomly play music from my entire library from each streaming service, including any music I have ripped from CDs or saved from online purchases/downloads. It works with shuffle or radio with genre/artist/album/track and practically any combination of filters you would use to narrow or restrict for playback. Roon does a lot more, but I really only wanted something that played all of my music from one application, streamed or purchased. Definitely worth a trial.

I have 2246 albums with Qobuz with 31,757 tracks. There are a lot of duplicates with Tidal, as I was considering dropping Tidal for Qobuz. I get a discount with Tidal so I just keep it. And there are times when some music is not on one service or the other. Tidal and Qobuz work great together on Roon. The overview in Roon shows the raw total of all albums and tracks, including the duplicates.

Overview with duplicates counted:
Albums: 4531
Tracks: 62,670

With duplicates not counted in Roon's default Albums and Tracks section:
Albums: 3334
Tracks: 46,811

It looks like I have around 16K duplicate songs between all of my sources. I never removed any of the Tidal favorite albums, but 90% of the time I only add the highest quality Qobuz album now, and over time the Qobuz count has grown in comparison to the Tidal favorites.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,539 of 5,203
I use both Tidal and Qobuz together with Roon. All synchronized together and I typically select Albums and Shuffle to randomly play music from my entire library from each streaming service, including any music I have ripped from CDs or saved from online purchases/downloads. It works with shuffle or radio with genre/artist/album/track and practically any combination of filters you would use to narrow or restrict for playback. Roon does a lot more, but I really only wanted something that played all of my music from one application, streamed or purchased. Definitely worth a trial.

I have 2246 albums with Qobuz with 31,757 tracks. There are a lot of duplicates with Tidal, as I was considering dropping Tidal for Qobuz. I get a discount with Tidal so I just keep it. And there are times when some music is not on one service or the other. Tidal and Qobuz work great together on Roon. The overview in Roon shows the raw total of all albums and tracks, including the duplicates.

Overview with duplicates counted:
Albums: 4531
Tracks: 62,670

With duplicates not counted in Roon's default Albums and Tracks section:
Albums: 3334
Tracks: 46,811

It looks like I have around 16K duplicate songs between all of my sources. I never removed any of the Tidal favorite albums, but 90% of the time I only add the highest quality Qobuz album now, and over time the Qobuz count has grown in comparison to the Tidal favorites.

Well it sounds like my concerns can be set aside, mostly. Between Tidal and Qobuz, were it necessary to have both, library size is a non-issue. Although Tidal isn’t as stable on iPhone in my experience, and I do enjoy Apple’s ecosystem. But Roon seems quite robust. You’ve just about convinced me.

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #4,540 of 5,203
Hello.
I have one question regarding MQA on Xonar STX (cause that's my setup). As far as I know my soundcard does not decode MQA. Why then I can hear music when I select "Use exclusive mode", "Max volume" and also enable "Passthrough MQA"? I restarted Tidal just to be sure it uses these settings. Is the stream really passed through to decode in the sound card? Of course I listen to the "MASTER" music files and my quality is set to the "MASTER" option.

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #4,541 of 5,203
Hello.
I have one question regarding MQA on Xonar STX (cause that's my setup). As far as I know my soundcard does not decode MQA. Why then I can hear music when I select "Use exclusive mode", "Max volume" and also enable "Passthrough MQA"? I restarted Tidal just to be sure it uses these settings. Is the stream really passed through to decode in the sound card? Of course I listen to the "MASTER" music files and my quality is set to the "MASTER" option.
You can still play any MQA file directly on a non-MQA DAC, just like with an MQA CD, which is really just a file, too. If you want to have Tidal encode up to 24-bit/96kHz, turn Passthrough off. When Passthrough is enabled, and you cannot decode MQA with your DAC, you are limiting the bitrate to whatever the base transport format is, minus the overhead lost to packaging the "folds". It probably doesn't sound any different, but we don't need to start that argument and that is only my worthless opinion.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #4,542 of 5,203
So it basically takes whatever I put in my Windows settings - bit depth and sample rate?
I was just curious what magic technically is happening before the scenes since something which should not be working (based on my knowledge) is actually working. I will stick with the Hi-Fi quality just to avoid some potential quality conversion loss.

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4,543 of 5,203
Best Buy US online store currently has Tidal HiFi 1 year subscription for 120 dollars (100 for Best Buy members, you just have to create account).

I am from EU, so I am wondering is it possible for me to somehow purchase that with VPN?

I tried with VPN (Cyber Ghost) and with my Revolut and Curve cards, but they canceled my purchases after minute or two and returned my money. I tried playing with Billing adresses a little, but havent managed to achive much. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back