Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 15, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #4,381 of 5,193
Sony WH-1000XM3 optimized (specifically for 360 Reality Audio), sound much better and natural. In another level for my ears.

BTW today I noticed Dolby Atmos optimized files too (my smartphone supports it). Have to give it a try

OK - I give up. I have Tidal; I have my Sony WH1000XM3s; I turned on the Sony headphone app on my iPhone X and connected via Bluetooth. What do I do next to try 360. Is there a setting in the app, because none jumped out to me.

Edit - Let me get specific - How do I play Stoned Soul Picnic in 360? What do I need to set in the app? How do I locate the 360 version of it in Tidal?

Never mind - figured it out. Not too impressed on this track.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #4,382 of 5,193
OK - I give up. I have Tidal; I have my Sony WH1000XM3s; I turned on the Sony headphone app on my iPhone X and connected via Bluetooth. What do I do next to try 360. Is there a setting in the app, because none jumped out to me.

Edit - Let me get specific - How do I play Stoned Soul Picnic in 360? What do I need to set in the app? How do I locate the 360 version of it in Tidal?

Never mind - figured it out. Not too impressed on this track.

Yeah, if you want to listen to something and not hate it, Dave Brubeck's Time Out is the standout. Bitches Brew also good.

(I'm sure there's no reason other genres than jazz can't be done well, but I don't think there are actual good examples, so far)

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #4,383 of 5,193
Yeah, if you want to listen to something and not hate it, Dave Brubeck's Time Out is the standout. Bitches Brew also good.

(I'm sure there's no reason other genres than jazz can't be done well, but I don't think there are actual good examples, so far)

I listened to Time Out, and it sounded pretty good. I have the original Sony two-channel, single layer SACD, which I have ripped using a PS3, but doing a comparison would require some effort.

On the other hand I have the MFSL SACD of Bitches Brew and compared the redbook layer to the 360 version. The MFSL version won by a significant margin.

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4,384 of 5,193
Screenshot_2019-12-16-13-50-50-21_1242faab167c067880469a09e65cea1a.jpg
Screenshot_2019-12-16-13-49-47-70_04e03425392fc155c003bf4da0c67f74.jpg
Screenshot_2019-12-16-13-49-40-92_04e03425392fc155c003bf4da0c67f74.jpg

In the spoiler you can see 3 images of the two configurable options (one in Sony app and the other one in the Tidal settings).

The sound is much more realistic and balanced. Bass becomes much more accurate too. Anyway will do a more critical listening because only tried a couple of times for not too long, but the change is quite dramatic if you listen to not 360 version (and I agree that without optimized phones these tracks don't sound good).

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #4,385 of 5,193
For those who are still morbidly curious about about 360 audio: Nilsson Schilsson has an interestingly almost-tasteful presentation with everything happening in front of you rather than surrounding you...but, for me at least, it's also *above* me, like the band is setting on the bill of my cap. If that's intentional, it's a wild choice.

Meanwhile, Bernstein's Mass is just incredibly extra.

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,386 of 5,193
I really like the mix that gets created for music discovery.

I also noticed 'influencers' section under 'related artists.' This section is about previous generation artists they were influenced by. I find this useful. Providing rich information around the artists is what I want.

The problem is, all this stuff isn't available when you use another front-end like Roon.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #4,387 of 5,193

I also noticed 'influencers' section under 'related artists.' This section is about previous generation artists they were influenced by. I find this useful. Providing rich information around the artists is what I want.

The problem is, all this stuff isn't available when you use another front-end like Roon.

I think it depends on the artist, but Roon shows me "Similar To, Followed By, Influenced By, and Associated With" sections for many artists. Many of these sections can be expanded to show dozens of additional artists.

I subscribe to Tidal and Qobuz with Roon. My Roon core is a laptop I use just for streaming music.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #4,388 of 5,193
I think it depends on the artist, but Roon shows me "Similar To, Followed By, Influenced By, and Associated With" sections for many artists.
I believe that those are Roon's own created lists and don't come from the streaming services.

As a side note, this illustrates a difference between Tidal/Qobuz and the large services (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music), which refuse to interface with Roon. Tidal/Qobuz are happy to function as a generic server that delivers music, but the large services have a bigger agenda and want to completely control and monitor the user experience.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,389 of 5,193
I believe that those are Roon's own created lists and don't come from the streaming services.

As a side note, this illustrates a difference between Tidal/Qobuz and the large services (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music), which refuse to interface with Roon. Tidal/Qobuz are happy to function as a generic server that delivers music, but the large services have a bigger agenda and want to completely control and monitor the user experience.

Regarding your side note, totally agree

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #4,391 of 5,193
Guys, does anyone know where can I buy (US) Tidal Gift Card online without having US-based Paypal or bank card? All places I found that sell US gift card have those conditions.
The simple solution would be to give a universal gift card (i.e. cash) and have your recipient download the app from Tidal.com (on a PC). When you are signed up on the PC, then download the app on your mobile devices and sign in.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #4,392 of 5,193
I can see a a small list of Atmos tracks in TIDAL HIFI App.
However when playing them on iPadPro (supports Atmos), they only show HIFI being played as the label not ATMOS?

From whathifi article:
“the Apple TV 4K, iPhone XR and later, 11‑inch iPad Pro, and 12.9‑inch iPad Pro (3rd generation) will also be able to take advantage of titles with Dolby Atmos soundtracks.”

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #4,393 of 5,193

I agree, I've been demoing Tidal on my new CXN and its unbelievably frustrating to see that half of the Tidal app/functionality has been stripped from the Cambridge Streammagic iteration. Has anyone found that third party tidal variations have weird playback errors where songs will randomly repeat or there will be frequent long pauses between songs?

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,394 of 5,193
I agree, I've been demoing Tidal on my new CXN and its unbelievably frustrating to see that half of the Tidal app/functionality has been stripped from the Cambridge Streammagic iteration. Has anyone found that third party tidal variations have weird playback errors where songs will randomly repeat or there will be frequent long pauses between songs?

For me, Audirvana/Tidal has been nearly glitch free for 2+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back