Tidal Lossless Streaming
Aug 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #4,246 of 5,193
The bottom line is to open the Play Store on your device, and if the app is listed then it is "officially" supported (although quality of implementation is always an open question).

You're implying that an arbitrary standard Android app will run on Android TV, and that is not true. The developer must configure their app to identify itself as supporting Android TV. They can integrate Android TV support into their phone app or create a separate Android TV app (which Spotify and Pandora chose to do).
I’m not “implying” anything. The official Tidal Android app works on Android TV and is designed to work on Android TV, as is clearly indicated by Tidal. There is no Android TV app. You can go on about this all you want, but if you want Tidal on your Android TV you simply install the regular Android app. Btw, I and hundreds of thousands of people have dozens of other regular Android apps running on their Android TV systems. But nowhere did I say all standard Android apps will work on Android TVs. Many don’t. You seem to want an argument you’re not going to get.[/QUOTE]

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4,247 of 5,193
I and hundreds of thousands of people have dozens of other regular Android apps running on their Android TV systems
I don't think we're really disagreeing on anything. I'm speaking as an Android developer and was trying to be more precise. There is no such thing as a "regular Android app". An Android app can support some combination of platforms. Some apps support both the phone and TV platforms, and that is what Tidal is now apparently doing. However it does seem that Tidal originally created a TV specific app which has been replaced by their current app.

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #4,251 of 5,193
Subscribed to TIDAL HIFI. I wish there was option for annual or 6month subscription.

SONY ANDROID TV - FULL MASTER and HIFI notifications appear when playing.

On AppleTV4k - no sight of Master or Hifi and it doesn’t sound as good as the Sony TV - Android App.

Maybe AppleTV4k audio processing is inferior.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #4,252 of 5,193
Just researched this myself today it happens.
One “online” at a time and 5 devices “offline” total.

I confirm the one device online at a time limit, damn them... I'm thinking there is room on the market for a streaming provider that wants to make money but also cares about making their (audiophile) customers glad they're paying the monthly fee.

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #4,254 of 5,193
I confirm the one device online at a time limit, damn them... I'm thinking there is room on the market for a streaming provider that wants to make money but also cares about making their (audiophile) customers glad they're paying the monthly fee.

I'm confused by your response. I have the standard Tidal $19,99 hi-fi plan. I can listen on more than one device at a time. To the best of my knowledge this has always been the case. Tidal does have a family plan, but I always assumed that facilitated people logging in with separate names and passwords.

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #4,255 of 5,193
I'm confused by your response. I have the standard Tidal $19,99 hi-fi plan. I can listen on more than one device at a time. To the best of my knowledge this has always been the case. Tidal does have a family plan, but I always assumed that facilitated people logging in with separate names and passwords.

I was playing something on Tidal hifi desktop and my girlfriend was in another room listening to Tidal over a Bluesound device. She got a message on Bluesound that Tidal doesn't allow more than one online device at a time and her playback stopped. I wrote tidal support and they said yeah this is their policy. I said they should change the policy to allow a few devices online because qobuz has that.

If you can get it to work on more than one device at a time that is interesting :wink:

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #4,256 of 5,193
If you want more than listener at a time buy the family plan. Tidal, Spotify and others offer it.

Why? In my cases both devices are on the same network. It's not like somebody is listening on a phone in another city. The clients are all in the same apartment on the same IP. I don't need to buy a family plan for that.

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #4,257 of 5,193
I was playing something on Tidal hifi desktop and my girlfriend was in another room listening to Tidal over a Bluesound device. She got a message on Bluesound that Tidal doesn't allow more than one online device at a time and her playback stopped. I wrote tidal support and they said yeah this is their policy. I said they should change the policy to allow a few devices online because qobuz has that.

If you can get it to work on more than one device at a time that is interesting :wink:

I was successful just now simultaneously playing different recordings on the Windows App and the iPhone app.

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #4,258 of 5,193
Why? In my cases both devices are on the same network. It's not like somebody is listening on a phone in another city. The clients are all in the same apartment on the same IP. I don't need to buy a family plan for that.
But it’s still two clients. Why should you get two for the price of one? Many services charge more for additional users, regardless of where they’re located.

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #4,259 of 5,193
But it’s still two clients. Why should you get two for the price of one? Many services charge more for additional users, regardless of where they’re located.

OK - I'm listening to my computer using the Tidal app, my iPhone using the Tidal app and my ChromeCast Audio via the Logitech Media Server using the Tidal and ChromeCast plug-ins. All at once. Different music from each. I could try for four, but three clashing recordings is pain enough.

Maybe Bluesound's license is different?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #4,260 of 5,193
OK - I'm listening to my computer using the Tidal app, my iPhone using the Tidal app and my ChromeCast Audio via the Logitech Media Server using the Tidal and ChromeCast plug-ins. All at once.
Does it continue to play for multiple tracks or albums on all of the clients? I would say that they don't actually intend it to work, and their software isn't catching your situation for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back