TICE Audio Clock
Jan 23, 2016 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

watchnerd

Headphoneus Supremus
Who remembers this bad boy?

And some of the commentary of the time on how it might work.

"The comment that follows is not a review of the Tice Clock as such--I did not even have the device. It is rather a comment on how "parallel filters" could work and ought to work and some observations on what information manufacturers ought to be prepared to offer to their customers. The audio review by listening was done by other people (it including, rather unusually for TAS, a blind test in which Frank Doris was able to detect the Clock with statistical signifiance , TAS Issue 68 1990)"

And then it was revealed to just be a rebadged Radio Shock clock:

"But the claim was incredible, because the product appeared to be nothing more than a rebadged RadioShack digital alarm clock to which an invisible "proprietary treatment" had been applied. Stereophile borrowed and tested various samples of the Tice Clock, and although one writer said he might have heard a very slight effect, editor John Atkinson summed up our coverage by stating that not only did the Clock fail to perform as advertised, but George Tice's technical explanations for it had no basis in scientific fact. Thomas J. NortonStereophile's technical editor at the time, added that the Tice Clock was identical, inside and out, to a $20 RadioShack alarm clock—to the naked eye."

Have we learned anything since then?

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Actually it may have been generating a background noise or interference. That may have caused a subtle change in sound. To some audiophiles, if they add something to the system and the sound changes, then it's an improvement.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 9
  Actually it may have been generating a background noise or interference. That may have caused a subtle change in sound. To some audiophiles, if they add something to the system and the sound changes, then it's an improvement.

TICE claimed you could even put it in a different room in the house.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 9

very nice indeed!  someone brought me one, and i put in in the apogee diva system in the my living room
where blinked on and off and on and off until we unplugged it with no sonic effect...
not even a good placebo!

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 9

very nice indeed!  someone brought me one, and i put in in the apogee diva system in the my living room
where blinked on and off and on and off until we unplugged it with no sonic effect...
not even a good placebo!

Clearly you did it wrong...you were supposed to set the alarm.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back