TI r0xx0rs
Jun 14, 2002 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Nezer

Antibacterial soap... kills bacteria... bad karma?
I *LOVE* TI's free sample policy!

OPA2604AP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
OPA637AP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
OPA637BP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
OPA2132P 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
OPA2132UA 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
OPA627AP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
OPA627BP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
TLE2081ACP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
TLE2081CP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
TLE2082ACP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02
TLE2082AIP 3 3 items shipped on 6/14/02

Am I gonna have some fun now!

Those 627/637s go for some serious green per pair!

Even shipping is free!!

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 32
Just don't abuse the system. If you want to try a part for a good reason, then maybe requesting samples is ok. As long as you're not requesting samples to get out of buying the parts - that, I think is unethical.

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 32
Believe it or not, HeadWize and HeadFi were the major reason TI limited you to ordering a max of 3 samples per chip. Too many cheap DIYers!

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 32
Also, you'll notice that after ordering a certain number of sample chips, you have to call and explain *why* you need the samples for *every* order.

DON'T ABUSE IT.

Jun 14, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 32
I don't think this is abuse... I want to hear these so I can make an informed decision when I start building these things. I mean, 3 opamps aren't very many. This give me the opprotunity to hear the 627a and b without shelling out the $30-40 for a pair only to find I don't care for them.

When it comes time to build a real amp I will purchase the opamps that will go in it. This will just help me decide what I like without costing a fortune.

Jun 15, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 32
I don't think what you are doing/did is abuse either; rather, that's what the system is meant for. However, you and I aren't the only ones here reading this thread- and I'm betting a number of lurkers would rush off to TI.com and order themselves 20 627s if they weren't warned.

Jun 15, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

I don't think what you are doing/did is abuse

I just totaled that booty up at DigiKey -- $300.

Quote:

that's what the system is meant for.

Are you going to spend more than $300 with TI in the future? If not, this sample order of yours is a loss for them. The system is for those considering chips, and who intend to buy hundreds or thousands of the things in the future when they decide on which specific one they want.

Jun 15, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 32
Well, consider this- Apheared got the EL2001s as a free sample. (true, not from Elantec. But they were definitely samples, and they were definitely free.) As a result, he incorporated them into the A42 design that ended up being the META42! In fact, they are vital to the "META42" sound... Also, I got my first EL2001s as free samples- because there was no other way for me to get them in the US. If I hadn't gotten them, I couldn't have used them in the rev. i2 board- the first META42 PCB, and in fact, had I not gotten them, I would never have started working on the (M)ETA42! How many buffers have you and Erix bought, specifically for META42 use?

If Nezer finds a really good or really cool chip in the bunch, and tells all us DIYers about it, then TI will probably make their $300 back. Fast.

I think the sample program has gone beyond the idea of just for EEs who might buy 100K chips- I think it's so people can try chips they might otherwise not. Like the HeadRoom loaner program, except the chips are small enough it would be uneconomical to demand them back. Or give a 20% discount
biggrin.gif

Of course, the whole idea relies on the fact that the people getting the samples are actually intelligent, non-greedy types who actually read datasheets and will only request the ones that might work...

Jun 15, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Too many cheap DIYers!

Not cheap, practical. The reason we became so happy with the sample system was because we often did not want or could afford the minimum order requirements imposed by some mail order places, not to avoid payment! If TI would sell us one or two pieces at a time I for one would be happy to buy them.

Nezer, that is abuse. The very least you can do is to write a detailed comparision of all those chips when they come in to prevent somebody from doing it in the future.

Jun 15, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

The very least you can do is to write a detailed comparision of all those chips when they come in to prevent somebody from doing
it in the future.

Don't worry, that's why he ordered them, RIGHT NEZER?

Jun 15, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 32
I wouldn't have posted, but for a couple of things:

1. He ordered 3 of several single-channel chips. Why? I suspect the answer is "because I can".

2. He ordered multple grades of several designs. Again, why? Get the high grade only, and if you like that, then later try the lower grade to see if it stacks up. It's wasteful to get both grades up front.

Quote:

How many buffers have you and Erix bought, specifically for META42 use?

I can't speak for Erix, but I bought every buffer I've used. In fact, the only samples I've ever ordered was Analog's sampler kit.

I'm not against DIYers using the sample systems, but I think you have a moral obligation to make it worth it for the supplier. The main danger is that you're then tempted to shill for them, which is also wrong. Personally, I just avoid the issue -- if I buy the chips, I can slam the chips or I can praise them to the high heavens without any guilt either way.

Jun 15, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 32
I didn't mean to accuse either your or Erix of ordering samples and selling them, I wanted to know how many you'd bought, since it probably amounted to quite a lot of $$$ at $3.50 a buffer.

Jun 15, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 32
I ordered different grade chips, *I* want to hear if there is a difference. Sorry that I don't just take other's words blindly. The same holds true for the single vs. dual channel chips. Some say there is no difference, others think they have issues with crosstalk. I intend to see what *MY* ears tell me.

I have actually ordered from the TI samples before to find an appropriate chip for another project I worked on. While I only needed one of those chip types I was able to find the right one for the project. That project in turn led to a substantial number of chip purchases both by me and other members of the community.

Why did I order three? Well, partially because I can and also... I have a tendency to miscalulate a lot and fry things. Math isn't my strong point and I also have a tendency to mix-up decimal points. Sometimes this can mean a fried chip. After having to deal with the smell of a few popped chips you would think I would learn but noooo....

My plans for these chips is to put a couple of sockets on a protoboard and socket a few resistors so I can easily change values. I'll follow with a buffer and test the sound with different chips and different gain values. When I've made my choice I'll gladly give the whole setup (minus power supply) away to anyone that wants to do the same and I'm betting I'll have more than one taker.

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 32
eric,

I didn't take it that way -- I just thought you might be suggesting that I'd used sample systems a time or two myself and so who am I to talk?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I've spent a fair chunk of change on buffers for this META42 project. Hundreds of the things....

Nezer,

I hope you don't think I'm accusing you of being an immoral SOB. I personally wouldn't have placed an order for samples like that, and my later post said why. However, TI made the rules, and you're playing within them -- I wouldn't call your order "abuse". It's just that, given the cost of the parts, I'd have to stop and think a bit to find justification. If you've justified it to yourself, then that's what really matters.

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many buffers have you and Erix bought, specifically for META42 use?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't speak for Erix, but I bought every buffer I've used. In fact, the only samples I've ever ordered was Analog's sampler kit.

I bought each and every one of them, actually.

I'm not against samples as a way to procure a part to test in your design. Getting free parts and then selling them, on the other hand, is strictly taboo.

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back