TI OPA134 vs. BurrBrown OPA2134 vs. BurrBrown OPA27
Apr 10, 2008 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mikeg88

Head-Fier
Okay so I've been comparing the micro stack, ultra micro stack and the basic desktop amps. I know there are a lot of factors that set these apart, but I'm writing to ask what difference the amp modules make.

I'm under the impression that spending more = better amp module = better sound, but I really don't know what to expect. I can see how the Ultra Micro DAC is much better than the normal Micro DAC, but when it comes to amps, what kinds of aspects of the SQ are changed as we move up the line? More expansive soundstage? Better dynamics? More detail?

Take the Micro vs. the Ultra Micro for example. The latter is nearly twice the price...so does that mean it does a lot better? Is the OPA627 (the "max" module) like head-over-heels better than the others? Is the TI module that's in the micro line quite far behind the rest? Also, can anyone put some terminology down that describes their experience listening to each of these amp modules?

Thanks in advance,

M

PS * In the title I meant to write OPA627 for that last one. Sorry.

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay so I've been comparing the micro stack, ultra micro stack and the basic desktop amps. I know there are a lot of factors that set these apart, but I'm writing to ask what difference the amp modules make.

I'm under the impression that spending more = better amp module = better sound, but I really don't know what to expect. I can see how the Ultra Micro DAC is much better than the normal Micro DAC, but when it comes to amps, what kinds of aspects of the SQ are changed as we move up the line? More expansive soundstage? Better dynamics? More detail?

Take the Micro vs. the Ultra Micro for example. The latter is nearly twice the price...so does that mean it does a lot better? Is the OPA627 (the "max" module) like head-over-heels better than the others? Is the TI module that's in the micro line quite far behind the rest? Also, can anyone put some terminology down that describes their experience listening to each of these amp modules?

Thanks in advance,

M

PS * In the title I meant to write OPA627 for that last one. Sorry.

Howdy M,

I'll likely let other Head-Fiers compare the sonics of two Burr-Brown op-amps in our rigs but i wanted to just quickly mention that the 627opa part is perhaps the most pricey opa available on the market... imho, it's well worth every penny for the fortunate audiophile w/o too many billfold constraints. However, i personally would not call the audible differences between the 'home' module and 'max' module a "night & day" improvement when each are properly powered
cool.gif
-- but there's also little doubt nuanced sonic 'refinements' are there for the discriminating listener with killer sources!

redface.gif

CHEERS,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back