THX789 with HD800, any good?
Apr 29, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 56
Seems like we have totally different taste then LOL I some times want my Arya to be warmer. Also hek and Arya sounds identical on mysetup so idk why u think theyre so different.

Ahhhhhhhh warmer!!! Ok then yea the HD 800 will be quite... different for you then!

An I don't know either... I heard the HE 1000 V2 on a Dragon Inspire... and I ran the Arya on Solid State!!!!! I could be talking about the Anada, but what ever I heard it was being sold for $1200 [at the head fi meet I heard it at] so I doubt it was an ananda

An from what I heard it was just too thick for my tastes... but I heard the 1K V2 a year or so ago when I still enjoyed my Eikon... I think my tastes have shifted back to leaner vs thicker

But if you'd a little warmer than 100% you need to go tube! Ironically I'm the guy who doesn't like thick... with 3 tube amps!

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #32 of 56
Ahhhhhhhh warmer!!! Ok then yea the HD 800 will be quite... different for you then!

An I don't know either... I heard the HE 1000 V2 on a Dragon Inspire... and I ran the Arya on Solid State!!!!! I could be talking about the Anada, but what ever I heard it was being sold for $1200 [at the head fi meet I heard it at] so I doubt it was an ananda

An from what I heard it was just too thick for my tastes... but I heard the 1K V2 a year or so ago when I still enjoyed my Eikon... I think my tastes have shifted back to leaner vs thicker

But if you'd a little warmer than 100% you need to go tube! Ironically I'm the guy who doesn't like thick... with 3 tube amps!
Interesting... maybe I need a thinner can like hd800 to balance my taste with my planars anyway. We ll see.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #33 of 56
Cable change can be like tube rolling for solid state amps. Tried some different Rca cables between Thx 789 and source with HD800S. One cable made it sound Bright and sibilant, one cable made the sound warm. One had to little bass and dynamic, one was alot more fullbodied. One was veiled but smooth. I am going to try a new cable soon(tellarium q ultra black 2)

I prefer Lake People RS 02 amp with HD800S over Thx 789 because it sounds more fullbodied and with more depth to the sound on all directions.

Thx 789 - HD800S still quite good though.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 56
Cable change can be like tube rolling for solid state amps. Tried some different Rca cables between Thx 789 and source with HD800S. One cable made it sound Bright and sibilant, one cable made the sound warm. One had to little bass and dynamic, one was alot more fullbodied. I am going to try a new cable soon(tellarium q ultra black 2)

I prefer Lake People RS 02 amp with HD800S over Thx 789 because it sounds more fullbodied and with more depth to the sound on all directions.

Thx 789 - HD800S still quite good though.

I won't disagree with you on Cables but I don't think it's a worth while pursuit with this kind of equipment

Cash spent on cables can buy better gear overall

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #35 of 56
I won't disagree with you on Cables but I don't think it's a worth while pursuit with this kind of equipment

Cash spent on cables can buy better gear overall
I am content with the headphones and amps i have so i am not chasing anything new there. Just want to find the perfect cable to match the system as a final touch.

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #36 of 56
I am content with the headphones and amps i have so i am not chasing anything new there. Just want to find the perfect cable to match the system as a final touch.

Perfect! I really feel that cables should only be a pursuit for people like your self who are happy with everything else they own

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #37 of 56
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #38 of 56
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #39 of 56
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #40 of 56
I have never gone the route of changing headphone cables from stock and probebly never will. I am not that hardcore i guess :) I have no doubt they can change the soundsignature of the headphone though.

Wait... your changing interconnects but not headphone cables?

I hate to say it but that's kinda backwards! The cable from transducer to amp makes more of a difference imo than from Source to amp

in my limited experience, I've found more changes with headphone cables than anything

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 56
Wait... your changing interconnects but not headphone cables?

I hate to say it but that's kinda backwards! The cable from transducer to amp makes more of a difference imo than from Source to amp

in my limited experience, I've found more changes with headphone cables than anything
Yep changing interconnects. Maybe your right HP cables makes more difference ,never had experience with it and havent been in that mind set. But changing interconnects have made big changes in soundsignature for me.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #42 of 56
Yep changing interconnects. Maybe your right HP cables makes more difference ,never had experience with it.

It's worth a shot! If your over sea's I'd really recommend hitting up @teds headfood he ships internationally and his prices are very competitive.

That said getting back to the THX 789, now I'm interested in owning this thing :/ what else compares to it?

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #43 of 56
Yep changing interconnects. Maybe your right HP cables makes more difference ,never had experience with it and havent been in that mind set. But changing interconnects have made big changes in soundsignature for me.
IMO the effect of "cable rolling": Amp to HP> Amp to dac> Power line> dac to source. Did some test on my friend's system. Although I wanna to try some cable rolling ,the cost of making mistake are still too high for me. And if I want to do so I would start with my primary system rather than with HD800 which just a secondary system to me. Maybe getting a cheap tube is better choice for me after all.:ksc75smile:

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #44 of 56
IMO the effect of "cable rolling": Amp to HP> Amp to dac> Power line> dac to source. Did some test on my friend's system. Although I wanna to try some cable rolling ,the cost of making mistake are still too high for me. And if I want to do so I would start with my primary system rather than with HD800 which just a secondary system to me. Maybe getting a cheap tube is better choice for me after all.:ksc75smile:

Ahh but then you'd get sucked into Tube Rolling and Cable rolling! Fun hobbies but you need patience lol

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #45 of 56
Ahh but then you'd get sucked into Tube Rolling and Cable rolling! Fun hobbies but you need patience lol
Actually needs more pocket rather than patience LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back