THX789 with HD800, any good?
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Wifiman

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning on getting a HD800, as they are notorious for difficult to drive/pair well I am wondering if the thx789 good enough to drive/pair with them? or I ll have to purchase another amp for it, any suggestions?

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 56
The 800’s are really not that hard to drive and the THX has plenty of power to drive them so power will not be a problem. The problem might be how they sound on them and I have not heard that combo so can’t say but I would just see how they sound first and then decide if you need a different amp.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 56
I am planning on getting a HD800, as they are notorious for difficult to drive/pair well I am wondering if the thx789 good enough to drive/pair with them? or I ll have to purchase another amp for it, any suggestions?

I have not heard THX789 my self BUT I like JDS Labs ATOM and HD 800 so given that the THX789 measures with a similarly [and better] super clean output I can't imagine it being any worse or that much different from ATOM. As each amp seems to have been designed with a similar goal in mind

That said, I personally prefer HD 800 with tube amps. Vali 1 being the cheapest that sounds exceptional with HD 800. So if you REALLY hate how it sounds on your amp I would consider if your in a position or wanting to try a tube option as I have in my experience enjoyed HD 800 most on tubes

Still again the ATOM was one of the first Solid States I enjoyed with the HD 800 so I wouldn't worry over it and let us know what you think when you do get to hear it!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 56
I have not heard THX789 my self BUT I like JDS Labs ATOM and HD 800 so given that the THX789 measures with a similarly [and better] super clean output I can't imagine it being any worse or that much different from ATOM. As each amp seems to have been designed with a similar goal in mind

That said, I personally prefer HD 800 with tube amps. Vali 1 being the cheapest that sounds exceptional with HD 800. So if you REALLY hate how it sounds on your amp I would consider if your in a position or wanting to try a tube option as I have in my experience enjoyed HD 800 most on tubes

Still again the ATOM was one of the first Solid States I enjoyed with the HD 800 so I wouldn't worry over it and let us know what you think when you do get to hear it!

Thx very much for u rely. I ll see if I need a tube amp after I got them.:ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 56
I would recommend tube...if you are dead set on THX 789, I would go with HD800s.

Yea but you can do the SDR mod on the original HD 800, and again I think as clean as the THX amp is he won't have any issues.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 56
Yea but you can do the SDR mod on the original HD 800, and again I think as clean as the THX amp is he won't have any issues.

why? at the very most the SDR mod can achieve is the level of an 800S. HD800 is too analytical (if there is such a thing) for regular solid state. Only Tube amp can give the warmth and low bass and smooth out midrange.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 56

The greatest article for the HD800 ever written! I mean period. End of discussion

http://www.headphoneer.com/hd800-amplifier-review/

Just end the post here. You are welcome in advance.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 56
why? at the very most the SDR mod can achieve is the level of an 800S. HD800 is too analytical (if there is such a thing) for regular solid state. Only Tube amp can give the warmth and low bass and smooth out midrange.

it's analytical in the sense that it'll pull out any fault in your system as a whole. Again I quite enjoy HD 800 out of the ATOM an other solid state's I've heard are as you say quite etched in the top end. SDR helps to cut out that hardness, either way @Wifiman what is your amp? You may enjoy having a tube pre running before the THX and cost wise that may be a little better than buying an entire amp

@protoss the opinion of one person isn't enough to end anything. Each of us has different preferences and are our ears them selvs differ. Some of us are sensitive to frequencies others are not, either way the view point of more than one is useful in this case. Unless the reviewer you quoted preferences and overall impressions line up with @Wifiman often hears, but given his fairly new account he may not have had a lot of time to figure out what he enjoys and how he perceives things

I again feel as clean as the THX is he'll be alright. An in terms of warmth the HD 800 is quite natural, I never felt it lacked any warmth. Though I came from an HE 4 which is quite different

still best @Wifiman can do at this point is wait and enjoy! Worse case scenario if he hates the unit some EQ can suffice until he can re-sell it an try something else best of all the THX 789 will be in VERY high demand once the drop ends so a sale should be quite quick!

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 56
I had the 789, but didn't get to hear the 800S with it. Based in what I hear of the 789, I got a feeling it will bring out the worst of 800 in terms of brightness and peakiness. 789 is a very solid-state sounding bright amp. I don't understand the hype around it? Is it the 'THX' label? Is it the new hidef label? Just because the THD is way low don't mean a damn thing in terms of transparency or sonic performance.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 56
one person isn't enough to end anything.

I also heard the HD800 on some of those amps. Frankly I still consider the discontinue Taurus mk2 one of the best pairings.

I also have the Atom with me. Bang for the buck is what that thing screams! Is it the best pairing? No it is not. is it okay? Yes.

I do not see the THX as the best alternative for the HD800. The list I provided you is pretty correct. Its close to 90% accurate or higher!

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 56
I had the 789, but didn't get to hear the 800S with it. Based in what I hear of the 789, I got a feeling it will bring out the worst of 800 in terms of brightness and peakiness. 789 is a very solid-state sounding bright amp. I don't understand the hype around it? Is it the 'THX' label? Is it the new hidef label? Just because the THD is way low don't mean a damn thing in terms of transparency or sonic performance.

Cause its cheap, reference sounding and lots of power.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 56
789 is reference sounding?! If you think that's reference sounding, you haven't heard reference sounding yet.

789 is another low-end flavor of the month amp, nothing special. You'll see in due time.

I dont own one? just based on reviews. I have listened to the HD800 and owned the HD800s and HD820, thats what my .02 cent is in here.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 56
I also heard the HD800 on some of those amps. Frankly I still consider the discontinue Taurus mk2 one of the best pairings.

I also have the Atom with me. Bang for the buck is what that thing screams! Is it the best pairing? No it is not. is it okay? Yes.

I do not see the THX as the best alternative for the HD800. The list I provided you is pretty correct. Its close to 90% accurate or higher!

Of course it's not the best pairing, but OP has a price point he's shopping within and your one opinion alone doesn't hold much value. Neither does mine honestly! Not saying the ATOM is better than what's listed there but it's one acceptable option and for the HD 800 there are many! But most important is what @Wifiman is willing to spend and what he ultimately wants

Here is some one who has heard this pairing!!! So based on my experience with solid states and the HD 800 and his experience then it's more helpful to maybe suggest Wifiman be prepared for a less than stellar performance.

Still the appeal is how clean the output is, lots of clean power but that's not really useful unless your driving like an HE 6 ect...

As far as solid states go the VERY best I've heard thus far is the new Bricasti M3 fully differential DAC AMP the new Benchmark system is also exceptional for different reasons. But again if Wifiman want's to stay around $400ish those impressions are of no use to him

But until he has heard it this is all speculation! That said, I again don't think he has much to worry over. Even if the pairing is less then stellar, it'll be easy to sell or trade to another user here or else where!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back